Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheese

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    A blogging friend has the quixotic goal of trying every one of the cheeses mentioned in the Cheese Shop skit Monty Python did. Here's the review site:

http://beavercheese.org/

There's also a blog where he discusses the difficulties he has in acquiring some of the varieties.

Very cool. I'm gonna have to see if I can order some of those online. Whenever I order cheese online, it reallly freaks out the delivery guys here in Hawaii...they keep threatening to throw the package away because it smells so "interesting."

Comment

There used to be a little hometown cheese shop in Bandon, Oregon. We would visit it every year several times.

They would make the cheese in front of you and had cases full of samples to test out!

They even had cranberry-walnut-cheddar one year! My favorite was the sun dried tomato bacon cheese! YUMMY...

Of course a large company shut them down but it was great for many years! We would take all our family and visitors from out of area there...ahh the good old days!

Oh, and they made homeade ice cream there too!

And a cheese they called squeaky cheese or better known as cheese curds! Never cared for that..I don't like my mouth squeaking but the kids LOVED it!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I'd also like to hear what everyones favorite cheese is?

I like Provolone, and Smoked Cheddar.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          I'd also like to hear what everyones favorite cheese is?

I like Provolone, and Smoked Cheddar.
          Smoked mozzarella, German butterkase, Mexican queso fresco, and...

VELVEETA.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
            Smoked mozzarella, German butterkase, Mexican queso fresco, and...

VELVEETA.
            Smoked Mozzarella??? where you get that? sounds ono!

Comment

It is. Honestly, not sure whether or not I have had it since I moved here. I'll let you know if I see it.

It's nice and soft, with a brown outer skin. Very mellow and mild.

Comment

I love most cheeses but for some reason never developed a taste for goat cheese.

Comment

You could fly to Oregon for it! It's all over around here!
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

If it's cheese, odds are I'll love it.
                    I could not vote in the poll because there's no way I could have chosen just one option.
                    ... and yes, it would have been good to have a pasta option, or a "melted all over just about everything" option.

I can't remember the name of the cheese, but Murphy's has a burger that is topped with some sort of strong, salty DELICIOUS Irish cheese. When I find myself there again, I'm going to have that burger with a DOUBLE helping of the cheese.

I think my favorite cheese of all time is called "fromage d'affinois," an artisinal cheese available for a few dollars at Y. Hata, through its Island Epicure line. It's soft and spreadable and is deliciously buttery.

Oh! I dasn't forget to mention the mizithra cheese spaghetti at the Old Spaghetti Factory. I once splurged on a chunk of mizithra at -- Safeway, I think -- and it lasted a long time.

I was introduced to another favorite, Pecorino Romano -- atop the white spinach and garlic pizza at Boston's North End Pizza.

The crumbled feta cheese you can get in a tall rectangular tub at Costco is also really good -- in salads, in omelettes, wraps ... hey! It's cheese!

Guilty pleasure -- Velveeta ... and squeeze cheese on crackers.

Anybody wonder why I'm on medication for high blood pressure?
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I thought I was the only person in the world who liked Mizithra cheese! I first had it about 30 yrs. ago at the Old Spaghetti Factory in San Diego - first experiece of both. then for years, I forgot the name of the cheese. Foodland also carries it in the R. Field section.

Also, I do love goat cheese - the soft, spreadable ones are great on crackers or baguettes. Brie, all warm & runny is great and Gorgonzola in pasta is another favorite.

and the Mexican cheeses are good for their taste, color, creaminess (is that a real word?) and they melt really well in food.

Yes, I do love me some cheese.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        I can't remember the name of the cheese, but Murphy's has a burger that is topped with some sort of strong, salty DELICIOUS Irish cheese. When I find myself there again, I'm going to have that burger with a DOUBLE helping of the cheese.
                        Hmm, I know that Murphy's offers hamburger with regular cheddar or with blue cheese, but a DELICIOUS Irish cheese? Perhaps it's time I went back to Murphy's to check it out

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                          If it's cheese, odds are I'll love it.
                          I could not vote in the poll because there's no way I could have chosen just one option.
                          ... and yes, it would have been good to have a pasta option, or a "melted all over just about everything" option.
                          While I do regret not thinking of the pasta or macaroni option in the poll, the poll does allow you to make more than one choice.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            While I do regret not thinking of the pasta or macaroni option in the poll, the poll does allow you to make more than one choice.
                            Thanks Helen! I just made multiple votes.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Living in France, I have learned to appreciate the 'real' stuff. But I still miss Velveeta.

I'm canning cheese this week...20 minutes a half-pint in a boiling water bath....it comes out sharper than it goes in. Mimolette, gouda, emmenthal, raclette, maasdam, and cantal. Mimolette and cantal seem to be the closest thing to cheddar.

Next week, I'll take some of what passes for Kraft cheese slices here, and try to make a Cheese-wiz substitute.

PS Don't tell the USDA that I'm canning dairy products, it's not advised.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                                PS Don't tell the USDA that I'm canning dairy products, it's not advised.
                                Pfah! Tell the USDA anything you like --- they can't touch you in France! (unless, of course, you plan to sell your home-made cheeses to us...yum!)

Comment

Working...
                                X