Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha From Las Vegas

Originally posted by anapuni808
    why do all of you have these mis-guided dreams of moving to "paradise"? If you aren't happy where you are, why do you think you will be any happier here?

as has been said on here many, many times - THIS IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT, PARADISE!

Sorry - I'm just in a really pissy mood today because of another of these threads. I'm afraid I'm Kimo55's new best friend on this subject!
    I don't think it is "paradise" my husband needs regular temps for his health....In Oregon it is so extreme all the time. Hawai'i has fairly mellow temps year round. And it is green like Oregon. (: Cold hurts him and hot puts him in the hospital....You can't judge someone for wanting a better place to be.

I am happy where I am ! I am not happy that he is sick every week due to tempature changes....it's hard to be sick all the time.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I wasn't Judging anyone............However, I was questioning motives & reasons for moving here. We are so crowded and people keep moving here every day so they can have the piece of paradise that they are helping to destroy by moving here. Can't anyone see the irony of that?

Blue - you say you are moving here for our climate. Has anyone told you about the high humidity when there is a storm around us? The Kona Winds that can cause anyone with allergies to get very sick? Has anyone told you about "vog" when the trade winds change direction? or when they just stop blowing altogether? What about the mold in your closet caused by the humidity? Has anyone told you about what happens when a hurricane hits an island? or when a shipping strike prevents us from getting necessities?

Sure, our temperatures stay pretty mellow. But the "climate"? Thats all over the place and it can change on a daily basis.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
        Anapuni, I can't speak for anyone else posting on this thread, but why do you have these mis-guided ideas about knowing why we want to move to Hawai'i?
        Because Brad, once upon a time, in a land far, far away - I had those same dreams about Paradise. I came here in 1963 to marry a very nice young man who put a big honking diamond on my finger & said will you marry me & come to Hawaii? Well, DUH!!!!! I wasn't an idiot - I had seen Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" about 50 times and just knew it had to be paradise!

I was very fortunate to have lived way out in the country and be gently introduced to my new home - culture, food, behaviour and language. I fell in love with it & have stayed here since, except for a mis-guided (there I go using that word again ) attempt to re-establish myself on the continent. By then, I was too acclimated to living on an island - it took me many years to be able to come "home" but when I did come back - I knew exactly what it would be like to live here. I had family, old friends, knew my way around and best of all, was very comfortable living the local life style.

Those are advantages that you, Blue, Hope and the many others who post on here don't have. and it makes a difference! That's what so many on HT keep trying to explain to people - I just wasn't so subtle about it today.

This is the best way to interpret my original question to you folks who have never lived here. It's not personal - I don't know any of you. I don't know who is ill, who just wants a change or whatever. I can only speak as someone who realizes we who live on islands have very finite space to share - ours is just about gone.

Besides, when Independence comes - you'll have to make some MAJOR changes.................
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Bard - as for your other statement about racial tensions and corrupt politicians? The only folks who seem to talk about racial matters are white folks. Most people who live here get other along with people of other ETHNICITIES who live next door or sit at the next desk at work. We eat each other's food, we attend each others parties, marry each other - no tension.

and as for corrupt politicians - can I mention Sen. Gorton? or many others in DC? At least here, we know who is corrupt and because we are so small & close - we can go verbally smack them in the head & tell them we know what they're doing! and we're close because we usually know their parents or auntie or cousin or went to school with them or their kid goes to school with ours and so on & so forth. and then we just re-elect them because we already know what they're like. Why bring in a new guy & not know what we're getting?
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I appreciate what you're saying. It's a talk that every person who has that "move" glimmer in their eyes ought to get.

We are so crowded and people keep moving here every day so they can have the piece of paradise that they are helping to destroy by moving here. Can't anyone see the irony of that?
            I do. I said it in my very first post to the forum:

I understand the concerns over more and more people moving there, and agonized over whether it'd be right to add to the problem as someone who understands that it may not be right
            Sorry for getting on fire there on ya in my last post... I understand what you're getting at. It's just, it comes from both sides. I told some friends here we wanted to move to Hawai'i and their first reaction was a puzzled "huh?". Then they sorta laughed at us, like we were joking. A while later I'd mention something else and finally get the "oh, so you're really serious?" These were people who had never been there themselves or only stayed in Waikiki and such, and probably thought it was equivalent to moving to Disneyland or the Vegas strip. (Who knows, maybe some of the "dreamers" really think that way? Certainly many mainlanders think of it as one big resort or theme park.) I eventually quit even talking about it. Then I spent some time online trying to learn everything I can about the place, culture, and so forth, trying to make some friends ahead of time... and a common reaction is "oh god, not another one".

After reading over hawaii.com I can honestly sympathize with you guys quite a bit on that point. I can't speak for anyone else, and it's not something I really want to discuss on a forum, but really though: my wife and I have a specific, concrete reason we want to move, one that can only be fulfilled in Hawai'i.

The biggest lesson I've had pounded into me in my time hanging out on HT, and Kimo is near the top of the list of "teachers", is sometimes people just aren't gonna agree. I think this might be one of those subjects. Like Kimo said earlier, this forum isn't an extension of the visitor's bureau and I'm sure it gets tiring hearing about it. I just try to steer clear of it and talk with you guys about whatever else comes up 'cause I like feeling the pulse of the islands, and I'd rather do that than get in arguments.

(My exception being a thread where people are already discussing it.. sorry =))

Comment

Bard - as for your other statement about racial tensions and corrupt politicians? The only folks who seem to talk about racial matters are white folks. Most people who live here get other along with people of other ETHNICITIES who live next door or sit at the next desk at work. We eat each other's food, we attend each others parties, marry each other - no tension.
              That sounds wonderful. I like "ethnicities" as a better word too, much more accurate. Ack, there's a lot I could say about that. But anyway, it's not something I'm planning to get involved in.

Edit: ERR I mean not getting involved in the racism, not the multi-culturalness! =)

and as for corrupt politicians - can I mention Sen. Gorton? or many others in DC? At least here, we know who is corrupt and because we are so small & close - we can go verbally smack them in the head & tell them we know what they're doing! and we're close because we usually know their parents or auntie or cousin or went to school with them or their kid goes to school with ours and so on & so forth. and then we just re-elect them because we already know what they're like. Why bring in a new guy & not know what we're getting?
              Touche! I read something similar once: Hawai'i has the two degrees of separation rather than six that people always talk about on the mainland. Chances are if you've heard of someone there and you live there, someone you know is friends with them. The corruption is the same just about anywhere, it's just more in your face with the smallness and closeness.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to complain about either of those, just point out that I know that people have problems sometimes, especially moving in from elsewhere.
              Last edited by Bard; August 26, 2006, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Bard, I also appreciate what you and the others are saying. It's just that you can't learn "culture" from a website! You can't learn by comparing what you have now to an unknown factor (except what you've gleaned from a website ) and it's not about what it takes to be a "local".

We speak a different language here, we give directions in ways that won't make sense. Shoots, most of us probably don't know East or West until we see the sun go down. What is south in Honolulu will be north on the other side of the island! It's these little things, everyday things that make up life here.

For example - a few years ago, a company I worked for, hired a newbie, fresh off the plane from Florida. Her job was to run errands for the office. Well, she would ask for directions like is it north, south, what's the cross-street, what is the address? We would just look at each other & give directions like normal - "well, its down past the old saimin stand, across from the old gem store". She got so frustrated she went out and got a map book, made us xerox the correct page & highlight the route for her. She just couldn't grasp how things happen here. I had to laugh & try to explain that my daughter knew where I lived, but she had to look up the address to mail me a birthday card! She lasted here about 6 months, then moved back to Florida. She had come here with her kids, dog, car & furniture. Put her kids in school and bought a house - all to stay for 6 months!

This is the kind of stuff we try to get across to everyone with that so-called "gleam" in their eyes.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I wasn't Judging anyone............However, I was questioning motives & reasons for moving here. We are so crowded and people keep moving here every day so they can have the piece of paradise that they are helping to destroy by moving here. Can't anyone see the irony of that?

Blue - you say you are moving here for our climate. Has anyone told you about the high humidity when there is a storm around us? The Kona Winds that can cause anyone with allergies to get very sick? Has anyone told you about "vog" when the trade winds change direction? or when they just stop blowing altogether? What about the mold in your closet caused by the humidity? Has anyone told you about what happens when a hurricane hits an island? or when a shipping strike prevents us from getting necessities?

Sure, our temperatures stay pretty mellow. But the "climate"? Thats all over the place and it can change on a daily basis.
                  We have researched many places...We have travelled to many places...Believe it or not Oregon has very HIGH mold content and my husband grew up on the coast...I know the ups and downs. They are everywhere. The humidity is extreme on the Oregon coast as well. He is very familiar with that.

We have looked into many places. We are well educated and well- informed.
                  But Hawaii does not hit 35 degrees and does not reach 105. I am sorry you don't like the fact we want to move there.

Nothing I can say will help.

Believe it or not we are not just hopping on a plane and moving. I have 3 children to care for and know the sacrifices we may have to make. I take nothing away from the islands. I run a business from home and can do it from anywhere. I take no jobs from anyone. I homeschool my children and we are nice and decent respectful people with values and a family.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I know I shouldn't laugh about the lady from Florida but it's kinda funny

Honestly all those "weird" things are part of what attracted us to begin with. We stared at the diagram of "Ewa vs DH" and "Mauka vs Makai" for quite a while before it sunk in. Makes a lot of sense after that.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. You can't really "get" a place for real until you've lived there for a while.

If it makes you feel better, we've listened to what everyone's said on here and worked out a way to easily go back if it's not working out. (It mainly involves not shipping/moving or selling all of our "junk" until we figure out what we're doing...) In the mean time you guys get to enjoy some taxes on out-of-state income (bringing my job with me), and if it all works out then maybe you'll have a nice new neighbor. If not... well... take one free "I told you so" pass to be returned at a later date

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                      We have researched many places...We have travelled to many places...Believe it or not Oregon has very HIGH mold content and my husband grew up on the coast...I know the ups and downs. They are everywhere. The humidity is extreme on the Oregon coast as well. He is very familiar with that.
                      Man o man can I vouch for this too. Even in Portland which is not quite on the coast... I had a car that was composting and growing plants just because I hadn't cleaned it out quick enough

Our weather is pretty random here lately too. Maybe it's global warming. It's in the lower 90s today and supposed to be in the mid-90s tomorrow; humidity was about 70% early this morning and about 19% a few hours ago. Next Wednesday it will be 69 degrees and raining!

Even so, I love Oregon and Portland. This is really one of the best cities I've lived in and we've been pretty happy here. It's a neat place. It's just not Hawai'i.

Comment

Hello???? no one is telling you not to move here! I asked a question at the beginning of this thread. I'm sure you will be very happy here with your family & hope that your husband will be able to regain his health.

Hey, if you run a business from home - maybe you can help me get one started after you get here? I'm getting old & tired and would love to work from home

We have looked into many places. We are well educated and well- informed.
                        But Hawaii does not hit 35 degrees and does not reach 105. I am sorry you don't like the fact we want to move there.

Nothing I can say will help.

Believe it or not we are not just hopping on a plane and moving. I have 3 children to care for and know the sacrifices we may have to make. I take nothing away from the islands. I run a business from home and can do it from anywhere. I take no jobs from anyone. I homeschool my children and we are nice and decent respectful people with values and a family.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Well, at least you've discovered some of our little "eccentricities" and still think well of the islands!

Thanks for sharing. I know I shouldn't laugh about the lady from Florida but it's kinda funny

Honestly all those "weird" things are part of what attracted us to begin with. We stared at the diagram of "Ewa vs DH" and "Mauka vs Makai" for quite a while before it sunk in. Makes a lot of sense after that.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. You can't really "get" a place for real until you've lived there for a while.

If it makes you feel better, we've listened to what everyone's said on here and worked out a way to easily go back if it's not working out. (It mainly involves not shipping/moving or selling all of our "junk" until we figure out what we're doing...) In the mean time you guys get to enjoy some taxes on out-of-state income (bringing my job with me), and if it all works out then maybe you'll have a nice new neighbor. If not... well... take one free "I told you so" pass to be returned at a later date
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

OK, HTers, "No bubble bursting allowed".

Comment

Well, it sure seems I burst hers Didn't mean to & I'm sad that I did. Was just trying to inject some healthy reality into the discussion.

Blueyecicle - we ARE really nice here in the islands. With the right attitude, you & your family will be made to feel welcome right away.

and hey - I was really serious about the home business!
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

why do all of you have these mis-guided dreams of moving to "paradise"? If you aren't happy where you are, why do you think you will be any happier here?

Blue, you don't have to justify your decision to move anywhere to anyone . This individual is rude, presumptuous, and selfish. anapuni808 is not a native Hawiian, either, and yes, she was judging your decision to move to Hawaii.

The last time I looked, America was a FREE country, and you are FREE to go wherever you may wish, even if it is a misguided dream of living in paradise. When people come to my city, from all over the world, and I'm not talking small potatos, either...7,000 a month move to Las Vegas, I treat them with respect, and assistance where I can offer it.

There, I got it off my chest!

Comment

Working...
                                X