Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha From Las Vegas

Originally posted by anapuni808
    Well, at least you've discovered some of our little "eccentricities" and still think well of the islands!
    I do. After all if it was just like the mainland... why go? (Wait... I can answer that.. but I meant it rhetorically )

The thing I'm both looking forward to and dreading though is visiting family... it'll be nice to finally be somewhere that gets family to come visit us instead of the other way around, but I suspect my Dallasite parents and siblings might have some pretty strong culture shock.

Comment

Alright, I gotta stand up for Anapuni here a bit. There was fair warning

Sorry - I'm just in a really pissy mood today because of another of these threads.
      Originally posted by Bard
      You'll get some hard knocks on this forum but they are generally good knocks. The people on here are great and have taught me a lot. In the end it's up to you to decide what info to believe and act upon, but it's been good to get a lot of different input.
      Take a breather and come back to look at what was written tomorrow, and I bet it doesn't look nearly as bad. I've gathered that being able to shrug, "ehh whatever" and go for some spam musubi is an important skill

Comment

Well, that sure put me in MY place didn't it No, I'm not rude or presumptous - just honest & quite outspoken. and No, I'm not native Hawiian. Neither is anyone else that I know of - there are however, many Kanaka Maoli. Nope, no "natives" here - just hard working Hawaiians who would like to maintain their lifestyle & culture. I wouldn't presume to speak for the Kanaka Maoli - they can speak for themselves & very eloquently. I only speak for myself and put my own honest opinions and ideas on here.

Hope - you're right. No one has to ask permission to move to Hawaii (or to Las Vegas). That's one of our problems. However, if YOUR city gets too crowded, you can expand out into the desert for miles & miles. We don't have that luxury here - we have very finite space with no expansion possible. We have very finite natural resources such as water.

Sometimes, we just need to interject a little dose of harsh reality. If you go back & read some of the other "Moving to Hawaii" threads - I'm actually being pretty gentle. and if you will also notice - no one else from HT was posting on this thread today. What I've said has been with no expectation of any backup and with complete civility. Your choice to interpret differently? well of course, thats your privilege.

I could have just yelled out STAY THERE, DON'T COME HERE but I didn't. There, I got that off my chest also.

and if you do come here, as I said to Blue - with the right attitude, you will be welcomed very quickly. Even by me.

oh - one of the first things you will find out after moving here is that many do not think of Hawaii as part of America.

Now I'm through. aaaaahhhh - I feel so much better now.

Originally posted by Hope
        why do all of you have these mis-guided dreams of moving to "paradise"? If you aren't happy where you are, why do you think you will be any happier here?

Blue, you don't have to justify your decision to move anywhere to anyone . This individual is rude, presumptuous, and selfish. anapuni808 is not a native Hawiian, either, and yes, she was judging your decision to move to Hawaii.

The last time I looked, America was a FREE country, and you are FREE to go wherever you may wish, even if it is a misguided dream of living in paradise. When people come to my city, from all over the world, and I'm not talking small potatos, either...7,000 a month move to Las Vegas, I treat them with respect, and assistance where I can offer it.

There, I got it off my chest!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

oh - one of the first things you will find out after moving here is that many do not think of Hawaii as part of America.
          It's an easy sort of thing to think, even if you ignore the sovereignty question. It is pretty different and DC is a looong way away.

Then again I'm used to that from living in Texas too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
            It's an easy sort of thing to think, even if you ignore the sovereignty question. It is pretty different and DC is a looong way away.

Then again I'm used to that from living in Texas too.
            One other biiiiig difference between Hawai'i and CONUS. You can't just hop in your car and drive to another state! Hence, the term "rock fever".

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              One other biiiiig difference between Hawai'i and CONUS. You can't just hop in your car and drive to another state! Hence, the term "rock fever".
              I take it from your quoting my Texas post for that, that you've been to Texas... I used to go to college in Austin, and the drive to Tucson took two days. Day one: drive west, drive west, and drive west some more... stop still well inside Texas. Day two: drive west, drive west some more.. oh wow, we're out of Texas! And we're out of New Mexico! And whoa, we're there

Comment

Well, that sure put me in MY place didn't it No, I'm not rude or presumptous - just honest & quite outspoken. and No, I'm not native Hawiian. Neither is anyone else that I know of - there are however, many Kanaka Maoli. Nope, no "natives" here - just hard working Hawaiians who would like to maintain their lifestyle & culture. I wouldn't presume to speak for the Kanaka Maoli - they can speak for themselves & very eloquently. I only speak for myself and put my own honest opinions and ideas on here.

I'm an outspoken individual, as well. It was the first time since posting here a few days ago that someone had spoken in this way. When I was in Oahu, I was treated in a very friendly manner by all of the "ambassadors" of Hawaii, who are quite exceptional, to say the least.

Once in a while, the "Detroit Girl" jumps out of my mouth. You can take the girl outta' Detroit, but you can't take...well, you get the drift. Can't say I'm one to mince words.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
                  I am so very happy to have found this forum! I've been restless and obsessed about moving to Oahu for the past several months, especially today. I've spent hours upon hours looking at jobs and condos there.

I live in Las Vegas, which is very "cool", but I find myself feeling restless and bored after living here for almost 11 years. (yep, people really do live here, lol)

I don't gamble, and there's no WATER here! I want to go sailing on my days off! I want to walk on the beach, and be out of this crazy town! I want to shed this place of pretension...and live a more "real" life....
                  sounds great wish i could move there
                  *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                  http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Working...
                  X