Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Spam Mususbi

In today's Advertiser:

>>Nine people — most of them children — have been treated in Maui emergency rooms since July for confirmed or probable cases of food poisoning after they ate Spam musubi on Maui.
    The nine people have been involved in six separate cases of staphyloccocal intoxication, an acute gastroinstestinal illness characterized by a sudden onset of vomiting, usually followed by diarrhea, according to the State Health Department.<<

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br05p.html

Re: Bad Spam Mususbi

All I can think of is ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

A few months ago, KITV reporter Keoki Kerr did a series on local restaurant inspections. In one incident, the Waianae McDonald's had a customer complaint about maggots in their drink. Upon investigation, the manager had discovered saimin that had fallen under some equipment, where flies got into and began breeding. The resulting maggots then crawled into nearby drinking cups.

The Department of Health settled with them as an "isolated incident".

Such is the volatility of the food and beverage industry.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

You can read the official DOH release here (PDF).

I think I remember there was a spate of warnings and news coverage a year or so back focusing on those food products you see stacked at cash registers around the islands. For a while, stores seemed to be extra careful, moving them to heating boxes or refrigerators or at least stocking fewer and rotating them out. I guess things have regressed a bit.

Selling stuff like that is almost a cultural institution, but I think most of us are skeptical enough to be cautious with a new vendor. I used to eat spam musubi all the time from a downtown hole-in-the-wall, but never bought them on Mondays (fearing they were holdovers from Friday) and never after 9 a.m., just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          A few months ago, KITV reporter Keoki Kerr did a series on local restaurant inspections. In one incident, the Waianae McDonald's had a customer complaint about maggots in their drink. Upon investigation, the manager had discovered saimin that had fallen under some equipment, where flies got into and began breeding. The resulting maggots then crawled into nearby drinking cups.[...]
          <GASP> The Waianae McDonalds gets the bulk of my senior Diet Coke business.

Comment

Working...
          X