Disappearing bakeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing bakeries

The old neighborhood bake shops are a disappearing breed, replaced by those in supermarkets (Safeway, Foodland, Star, Times), big box retailers (Costco, Sam's Club), and NAPOLEON'S in Zippy's. ABC Bakery used to be in Holiday Mart/Daiei, but has been supplanted.

The ones I patronized in the past were:

KING'S - liked their coconut creme pie; packed up and went to Torrance, CA to produce King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread;
    9th AVENUE - in Kaimuki, near 9th Ave. on Waialae Ave.;
    DEE-LITE - back to the original outlet in Kalihi (Dillingham Blvd.) after leaving Pearlridge; delightful Dee-Lite cakes, especially haupia, coconut, and guava;
    BILL'S BAKERY - Kapahulu Ave.; now the Running Room (running shoes);
    BUCK'S BAKERY - South King St. near the old Honolulu Stadium;
    BAKERY KAPIOLANI - only one left is in the Aiea Shopping Center; their King St. site is now the Golden Duck Chinese restaurant; the Kapiolani Blvd. site has made way for the Ala Moana Center expansion;
    HADLEY'S - South Beretania St. in Moiliili/McCully;
    Y-Y's - University Ave. where Puck's Alley is located; moved to Manoa Shopping Center;
    MILILANI - disappeared decades ago from the Mililani Shopping Center (near Foodland);
    LARRY'S - Kam Highway, Waimalu Shopping Center (Aiea);
    DUTCH GIRL - Liliha St.

Also gone are SHAN'S (Wahiawa) and SWAN (School St. in Kalihi near KPT). My wedding cake was crafted by SWAN.

Re: Disappearing bakeries

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    SWAN (School St. in Kalihi near KPT). My wedding cake was crafted by SWAN.
    I gotta ask.

Did you buy it when Norman owned it? He was the Head Baker for the Alexander Young Bakery and the one who invented the famous Lemon Krunch Cake. It was sold at LeBon Bake Shop which was owned by Herbert Hayashi (Pagoda and Pacific Beach Hotels) where he was the Manager and Head Baker. His son took over while he went back to Swan.

Nobody can make Lemon Krunch Cake like Norman!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I really had nothing to do with choosing or ordering the wedding cake. All I did was pay the bill and return the plastic columns/platters to Swan. I don't know who the owner was, but it was in August 1975. WOW! That's 32 years ago!

I remember the Alexander Young Bakery when it re-located to Keeaumoku St. after the Alexander Young Hotel was razed. You're ABSOLUTELY right about that Lemon Krunch cake ......... SUPERB!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
        I really had nothing to do with choosing or ordering the wedding cake. All I did was pay the bill and return the plastic columns/platters to Swan. I don't know who the owner was, but it was in August 1975. WOW! That's 32 years ago!

I remember the Alexander Young Bakery when it re-located to Keeaumoku St. after the Alexander Young Hotel was razed. You're ABSOLUTELY right about that Lemon Krunch cake ......... SUPERB!
        Yep!! That was Norman's!! The Best Baker I've known in Honolulu! The Lemon Krunch Cake was so light and the Krunch ~ Mmmmmm!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Anyone else remember A-1 (or A-One) Bakery across King Street from Ala Pahk, at a busy bus stop & in front of the fish market? They later relocated (I think) across Beretania from Ala Pahk.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
            Anyone else remember A-1 (or A-One) Bakery across King Street from Ala Pahk, at a busy bus stop & in front of the fish market? They later relocated (I think) across Beretania from Ala Pahk.
            I do.

I also remember Rail Road Inn!

Wuz across the Iwilei Rail Road Station. Now get the new condominium.

It wasn't a Bakery but they did make da best Corn Bread and Biscuits to eat with their famous Short-ribs Beef Stew!

Sorry for the derailing...brings back so much memories.

Comment

Perhaps the extinction of bakeries is also a function of the growing health consciousness of Americans.

All that lard, sugar, salt, etc. is sure yummy. But being overweight will kill you.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                Perhaps the extinction of bakeries is also a function of the growing health consciousness of Americans.

All that lard, sugar, salt, etc. is sure yummy. But being overweight will kill you.
                But, the outlets that remain are making bigger offerings. 8" pies have been replaced by 9-10" pies. I've even seen the 12" size!

SAM'S CLUB started with their "loss-leader" 42 oz. apple pies @$2.97 which tasted great. The price has now elevated to $5.29, still larger and priced below retail bakeries. SAM'S and COSTCO have the jumbo-sized 80 oz. (that's FIVE lbs.) apple pies also available.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  Yep!! That was Norman's!! The Best Baker I've known in Honolulu! The Lemon Krunch Cake was so light and the Krunch ~ Mmmmmm!!!

Auntie Lynn
                  oceanpacific, Mahalo for starting this thread. I haven't thought about Norman for many years until you mentioned Swan Bakery. He was my boss at Le Bon Bakery. In today's StarBulletin, I saw his Obituary. I'll say goodbye to my old friend and Best Baker in Hawaii on Monday.

June 25, 2007
                  Norman Hideo Asao, 76, of Honolulu, a retired baker and pastry chef at various hotels, died at home. He was born in Honolulu.
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; August 3, 2007, 07:29 AM.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...e-lay-off-231/

Love's Bakery hot dog buns were good for potluck picnics for outdoor cooked hot dogs. Their old fashioned donuts were good with coffee.

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/43441352/...ovid19-impacts

Big or small bakeries in Hawaii are closing. That's sad.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...-will-live-on/

They can't put up a sign that says "Local Owned."

Comment

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/thi...lose-saturday/

This is It Bakery is closing.

Comment

Mother Bakery in Kailua closes its doors | Business | kitv.com

Mother Bake Shop in Kailua is closing.

Comment

Once a retail giant, Kmart nears extinction after closure | Honolulu Star-Advertiser (staradvertiser.com)

Kmart is the MySpace of social media.

Comment

Working...
                              X