99 Ranch Market closing doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 99 Ranch Market closing doors

Seems lots of things are closing up in Mapunapuna, Pizza Hut, the restaurant located next to Jack in the Box closed, Education Works. Some of these establishments relocated, but it seems things are closing down in the area.

Any truth to the rumors about Big Boy's closing as well?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      Makes me wonder why the Asian markets seem to be cheaper for certain stuff. The non Asian folks here are starting to catch on and are shopping in 99 Ranch more for their fish and meats, obviousy because of the price difference.
      I think the difference between the Asian markets (like 99 Ranch, PalDo World, Uwajimaya, etc.) and the regular chain markets on the Mainland is that their fresh meat, poultry and fish selections are much larger. Asians eat lots of pork and fish especially (not so much beef) so those prices are cheaper at the Asian markets. I can find fresh duck meat, too, at 99 Ranch Market and it's very cheap there. In places like Safeway, if they carry it, it would be in the frozen case, and you'd have to buy a whole duck. It's also about the only place in town that carries cans of "Samoan" corned beef.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        I think the difference between the Asian markets (like 99 Ranch, PalDo World, Uwajimaya, etc.) and the regular chain markets on the Mainland is that their fresh meat, poultry and fish selections are much larger. Asians eat lots of pork and fish especially (not so much beef) so those prices are cheaper at the Asian markets. I can find fresh duck meat, too, at 99 Ranch Market and it's very cheap there. In places like Safeway, if they carry it, it would be in the frozen case, and you'd have to buy a whole duck.

Miulang
        That makes sense. The fish counter at 99 Ranch in Arcadia is insane...so much stuff, lots of stuff live in tanks, lobsters,clams, mussels,crawfish, crabs etc...

Also, the produce is cheaper alot too. Veggies, fruit etc..cheaper. My fiancee' just got back, held up 2 bottles of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider and said "2 for $4, at VONS 2 for $5...American supermarkets are so expensive!"
        So the cheaper prices seem to be across the board. At least on the mainland side anyway.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          That makes sense. The fish counter at 99 Ranch in Arcadia is insane...so much stuff, lots of stuff live in tanks, lobsters,clams, mussels,crawfish, crabs etc...

Also, the produce is cheaper alot too. Veggies, fruit etc..cheaper. My fiancee' just got back, held up 2 bottles of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider and said "2 for $4, at VONS 2 for $5...American supermarkets are so expensive!"
          So the cheaper prices seem to be across the board. At least on the mainland side anyway.
          It's a combination of things. In general, 99 Ranch caters to those who still have a heavy preference for "fresh food" as their main meals as opposed to processed. So by having a customer base that buys a lot of fresh produce, meat, seafood; the store can also charge a lower price and make up via volume. And then on certain things, I notice the quality may not be up to par with the Safeways, Ralph's, etc. Seafood is up there but I don't know about the meat. I might have missed it but I don't ever recall seeing their beef, for example, having any USDA Select, Prime, etc ratings on them. And then let's not forget operation cost. Somehow, I don't believe their workers are union and have pensions/401ks, etc. The American products aisle tends to be a little pricier than your Safeways so it shows where their strength and weaknesses are.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            It's a combination of things. In general, 99 Ranch caters to those who still have a heavy preference for "fresh food" as their main meals as opposed to processed. So by having a customer base that buys a lot of fresh produce, meat, seafood; the store can also charge a lower price and make up via volume. And then on certain things, I notice the quality may not be up to par with the Safeways, Ralph's, etc. Seafood is up there but I don't know about the meat. I might have missed it but I don't ever recall seeing their beef, for example, having any USDA Select, Prime, etc ratings on them. And then let's not forget operation cost. Somehow, I don't believe their workers are union and have pensions/401ks, etc. The American products aisle tends to be a little pricier than your Safeways so it shows where their strength and weaknesses are.
            Y'know, I always wonder about the quality of that stuff too. The meat is alot cheaper, but I always think that you get what you pay for in that respect. The stores are certainly not as clean and kept up as a Safeway/Vons etc, and yea, there is the union thing. Interesting points....
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

99 ranch is closing next year?

that sucks butt.

the beau and i, being townies who try very hard not to go past kalihi on one side and kahala mall on the other, have recently discovered the joys of 99 ranch. 99 ranch and henry loui's are the only two reasons we venture into mapunapuna. we bought ahi for sashimi there last thanksgiving, and found that for the price, we would be hard pressed fight the crowds at tamashiro at new year's for sashimi.

lita's fili food, by itself, isn't enough of a draw to get me to mapunapuna.

*sigh*
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Gee we haven't been in the area for a while. The only reason we go there is 99 Ranch and Wholesale Unlimited. The food court seems like it has good business on it's own, but I'm not sure how much of those customers are there because they went to shop at 99 Ranch or just went there to eat. Mini Garden and Bea's is where we go too.

Comment

Can't believe that 99 Ranch Market is closing its doors. I went to 99 Ranch Market every Sunday afternoon for lunch after church. The parking was a hassle but we ended up finding parking in the streets. Some of the things that they sell at 99 Ranch Market are expensive and you can always find the same thing in Chinatown.
                  Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    While 99 Ranch probably qualified on paper as an "anchor" tenant, I'm pretty sure a lot of the other businesses there are decent draws on their own. I bet there'll still be foot traffic there, even without the supermarket. The question is if it'll be worth it in the aggregate to keep that whole property/facility operating without it in the long term. What else could occupy that large space? Maybe a Ross?
                    Maybe they will put a walgreens there...
                    'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      That is a bummer. I wonder if all those tenants will be allowed to (or even choose to) stay there. There are some good food places there, plus several service-providers and retailers. I like hanging out there when I get a little tired of the other places nearer where I work.
                      that is a total bummer. in that area, that food court was my favorite place to go. the korean place spicy pork was a winner!

hope they find a buyer or a new tenant that is interested in taking over.

Comment

doh!

What else get in the location?

Louis's! Papa Johns! Bob's Big Boys! Jack in the Box! and a few lunch wagons!

It is a poor location for a grocery store and the parking lot is ridiculous... however, it was a good lunch stop for me within walking distance!

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                          that is a total bummer. in that area, that food court was my favorite place to go... hope they find a buyer or a new tenant that is interested in taking over.
                          There are a lot of standouts there when it comes to food. And fortunately, all indications point to the other businesses chugging along after 99 Ranch shuts down. The question, again, is whether that anchor tenant was responsible for a substantial portion of the foot traffic in the facility, and whether its absence will make it financially untenable to keep the whole thing open.

Personally, I think the clientele for the supermarket and the clientele for the many other tenants (restaurants, clothes, knicknacks, etc.) were pretty separate, and the other vendors could survive. Except that a vacant space in an anchor tenant spot tends to have a negative effect on the psychological impression the public has of a retail complex. Just ask any mall.
                          Originally posted by bitachu View Post
                          Maybe they will put a walgreens there...
                          Doesn't seem like the kind of neighborhood Walgreens would gravitate toward, sadly. Maybe another Don Quijote? Those certainly seem to thrive despite weird parking situations and hard-to-classify inventory!

Comment

Looks like Palama Supermarket is in the running for the space.

Comment

yeah, so is Grocery outlet, too

http://starbulletin.com/97/03/28/business/story4.html

Perhaps will be replacd with: A Gem?? Not sure yet.

http://starbulletin.com/97/02/20/business/story2.html

SIGH. There goes our favorite store.

Aloha.
                              Aches & Pains
                              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

What's the world comng too??

Everyone is shutting their business down, & the no one is not re newing their lease, like that one in Star market in Kahalla Mall.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/15/b...s/story01.html

What?? That one might turn out to be a Walgreens??

what will they all be replaced with???

It seemes like it is turning out to be a mainland, & not an Oahu Hawaii Island anymore

What is up with that??

I hope that it is not due to more $$$ financiall matter they we need a lot of.

Can any one enlighten me on this matter?.

Thank you so much.

Aloha.
                                Aches & Pains
                                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
                                X