This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Is Palolo Joe correct in saying that Pua'i Mana'o is on the Big Island? If so the SuperFerry is currently planned to run between Oahu, Maui and Kauai. The Big Island service is another couple of years away. They got nothing to worry about the riffraff coming in from the sea for another two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      These people were not my coworkers, but two edumakated business owners and their two managers. when it became clear to me that it was arguing with paranoia, there was no sense in arguing.
      Sad, sad, sad.

But not as sad as the behavior of the protesters on Kauai. Just saw footage on the news of people bashing on a SUV and trying to deflate one of its tires.

I'm thankful I wasn't on that voyage yesterday. If someone were trying to mess with my personal property, it would have gotten ugly pretty fast.

I'm all for exercising free speech, but all bets are off when you stop focusing on the message and start taking it out on innocent bystanders.

It's also shameful to see some residents attempting to pit island against island. Just because you're a HAWAII RESIDENT on Oahu, it means you can't travel to Maui or Kauai to enjoy the rest of the state you're a resident of?

Hey, maybe you'll read about me getting arrested later this week... especially if the protests continue.

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Is Palolo Joe correct in saying that Pua'i Mana'o is on the Big Island? If so the SuperFerry is currently planned to run between Oahu, Maui and Kauai. The Big Island service is another couple of years away. They got nothing to worry about the riffraff coming in from the sea for another two years.
      Yes, PM is on the Big Island. You're missing the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        What or who is truly behind these protests? Perhaps someone found a way to get the "enviros" fired up against the Superferry. After all, the claims of potential damage by the Superferry don't make any sense when weighed against all existing forms of transport. But if enough people yell loud enough and long enough, someone in a position to foul up the process is bound to take notice. And so there's now a TRO in place.

These companies will find ways to support the protestors efforts in ways that aren't obvious. They'll make it look like the movement to stop the Superferry is actually a grass-roots campaign. Courts and lawyers are expensive. Someone is shoveling a huge pile of money to stop the Superferry. Perhaps because some companies are at risk of losing even more money due to a reduction of cars and trucks to ship between the islands.
        The reason why Justice August revised his original order was not necessarily because of HSF starting business early, but because the DOT did not finish the lane striping and other mitigations that Judge August ordered last week that had to occur before the start of business.

The DOT had promised Judge August at that time that they would meet the deadline of doing the lane striping before HSF docked at Kahului Harbor on Sunday, but the DOT didn't finish in time (they were still not done when HSF left Kahului Sunday morning). That's probably the major reason for the 4 cop/2 vehicles/minute order. Judge August issued an order and DOT failed to uphold their part of the agreement.

And it's not that the whackos on Maui and Kauai don't want HSF; but they do want some serious questions answered in advance. HSF and DOT on the other hand, are practicing what I call the "puppy dog in the pet shop window" tactic: once it's in operation, everybody will see it's way too valuable to take back to the pet store.

YB raised some concern initially about losing some of its space at Kahului Harbor, but I have never seen any evidence of them joining in on any of the protests, and they are the ones who would have the greatest gripes about HSF, but they are not part of any suits. Neither is NCL. Maui Land and Pineapple invested a whole buncha money in HSF, so it can't be them either. I don't know who all the members of Maui Tomorrow are (although I do know that Lee Cataluna writes for them every now and then), or the Sierra Club or the Save Kahului Harbor Coalition, but I seriously doubt that there are a bunch of high rollers in any of those organizations.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          I would be extremely surprised if HSF will be able start service to Kawaihae by 2009. As it stands now, a new pier will have to be constructed at Kawaihae
          to accommodate the HSF. The pier that HSF was going to be using,Pier 1 (which got severely damaged in the October earthquake) has necessitated
          a new pier to be built on the Ka'u side of the harbor. The 2008 STIP has a map of the proposed pier location.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/stp/stip/b...state-proj.pdf
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Why are our friends on the neighbor islands worried about us coming there, when we're not worried about THEM coming HERE? Really, if they think all those drugs are going to just float on in, what about all the weed that'll be coming back? Not to mention fattening doughnuts, nerdy astronomers, and people who insist on calling it "ice shave?" The children! Who will protect our children?!

Speaking of doughnuts, will daytrippers have time to drive from Kawaihae to Tex Drive-In and back?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The incident at Ruby Ridge was the FBI. Domestic law enforcement.

The Coast Guard also has a similar mandate to enforce the laws in Hawaiian waters. More importantly, they save a lot of lives and prevent a lot of maritime tragedies.

They helped protect the protesters from getting themselves mained or killed. If the Superferry hadn't seen some of the people in the water, and the Coast Guard weren't there to herd these people out of the way, there could have been some serious mishaps.

I believe there's a time and place for civil disobedience. However, in this situation the protests are based on faulty reasoning. And because of that, the motives are suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Speaking of doughnuts
                Oh, Scrivener - we don't do that here. Someone will get all huhu now. Someone who doesn't need the Superferry, as they can just keep riding the Bitterness Bus.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Someone sent me a website link to some pictures from yesterday's shennigans on Kauai

http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/i...KauaiReps.html

http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/i...dedforHSF.html
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Sorry duplicate post
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      And it's not that the whackos on Maui and Kauai don't want HSF; but they do want some serious questions answered in advance.
                      Miulang
                      Oooohhhhh, serious questions............. like;

"The environmentalists argued in a lawsuit that the ferry's plan to ply 400 miles of Hawaii waters each day endangers whales, threatens to spread invasive species and will worsen traffic and pollution."

What a load of kukai.

Protect the whales? Great, why not go after the Japanese who to this day HUNT AND MURDER 1000 per year for Sushi, oh I mean "research"? Really, is one little boat on the ocean going to affect the whales any more than the hundreds of military ships or thousands of recreational boats do or the 1000s killed by Japanese?

Spread invasive species? So you got thousands and thousands of plane trips crisscrossing the islands for 60 years but couple superferry trips will disrupt the perfect biological balance of the islands. LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE.

Worsen Traffic? Every year Maui and Kauai approve thousands of new homes for development but a few dozen cars off the superferry are going to be the cause of pollution and traffic? How many cars arrive by barge every year on Maui. I GUARANTEE you its way more than will arrive and remain by Superferry.

These protesters are the worst kind of cancer on society. They take reasonable causes and exploit them for their own ANTI-everything childhood tantrum needs.

Silly.

Comment

Oh and don't forget the other serious problem that "they didn't paint the lanes".

Whew, lucky dey when catch dat one. How many would have died.

Of course when Dan Inouye sneeks H-FRICKEN-3 through congress by attaching it to a spending bill and sneaking an evnironmental exemption so that ONE BEEEG SUCKIN UGLY scar with effects that will result for eternity,

where's Miulang? Where's the protestors?

Dey driving Halawa to Kaneohe enjoying da view.

Hawaii is one psychologically messed up place.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          Speaking of doughnuts, will daytrippers have time to drive from Kawaihae to Tex Drive-In and back?
                          No.

Too far away. About 35 miles, winding road up, bad traffic in Kamuela/Waimea; clear to Honokaa but you have to repeat that all over again going back.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Oh, Scrivener - we don't do that here. Someone will get all huhu now. Someone who doesn't need the Superferry, as they can just keep riding the Bitterness Bus.
                            Keep it up with the stupid, back-handed comments. They're off-topic, just like the majority of your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              No.

Too far away. About 35 miles, winding road up, bad traffic in Kamuela/Waimea; clear to Honokaa but you have to repeat that all over again going back.
                              What if I drive like a Big-Islander?
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                No.

I grudingly agree, but it really depends on what HSF's schedule is going to be to Kawaihae. If the traffic wasn't so horrible up in Waimea during peak times
                                it could be doable depending on the HSF's schedule to Kawaihae.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X