National Novel Writing Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Novel Writing Month

There are some rumblings in the Hawaii section of the official NaNoWriMo Forum for planning a kick-off meetup. Possibly Sunday, Oct. 29. If you're interested, chime in!

Comment

Well, there was a kick-off meetup, once again at Pearl City Zippy's. Finally got to try their famous sushi. Scrivener showed up, as did a young Kapolei High School student named Tricia.

We talked about writing, of course, favorite authors, college applications, writing, local politics, and writing.

Scrivener's still not sure if he's going to attempt NaNo this year, but after our small meetup, he's got at least two people egging him on. 'Ailina's in, and I'll be reading along. Aunty Lynn? Helen? Anyone else? The madness begins on Wednesday! Just for trying, you get to know weirdos like us, and even collect some cute swag! As always, I'll happily host anyone who wants to publish their novel on the web as they go.

Comment

Will be making the attempt this year, managed to take next week as vacation (Election day on Tuesday, Veterans Day on Friday) to work on it. On the bad side the story in question might generate a low word count.

Comment

sheesh! I have a hard enough time committing to posting here, and ya want me to write a novel??

pax

Comment

Boy, do I need to lose some weight.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Scrivener's still not sure if he's going to attempt NaNo this year, but after our small meetup, he's got at least two people egging him on. 'Ailina's in, and I'll be reading along. Aunty Lynn? Helen? Anyone else?
              I'm gonna give it a try this year...trading one marathon for another. Not doing the Honolulu Marathon this year...I've been battling a long-standing case of runner's knee that kept me from getting any significant mileage in... so I guess, why not use the pent-up energy for this?
              http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Good luck to those starting NaNoWriMo today--although if you are, you shouldn't be reading this, you should be working on getting those 2,000 words done for the day. As Anne Lamott advises, just take it bird by bird.
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

There is a feature on it on Yahoo's Front page right now.
                  http://dir.yahoo.com/thespark/3750/get-ready-to-write

Good luck to those that par take in it.

50,000 words really isn't a lot... it sounds like a lot... but it's not.

Comment

Okay. I'm doing it. I'm writing a mock-western, set in a modern high school with the school's hallways serving as the town that needs "cleaning up" in the wild, untamed west. I honestly don't think I'll be able to finish this year, as I did not finish last year, but I'll give it an honest go.

If you're curious, you can check out my novel in progress here.

Don't be surprised if, like last year, the final entry is dated November 8!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv',

I read your entry and left a comment, but it didn't show up. I'm having problems as well with Word Press' comment feature on my food blog. They wrote back to me saying they're having server problems. So dunno' yet.

Anyway, that description about "damsels eyes reflective like an olympic sized pool" was cool. I'll be following your entry. So far so good!

Someone should do one on that "Never Ending Story" we had going a while ago here about "Mr. Coin".
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have comment-moderation turned on (spam protection), so your comments won't appear until I get a chance to go through my email and give them the oh kay.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So we can read along with Mitchell and 'Ailina (hopefully!). Keith, Helen, are you posting your works in progress?

Want to know how bad things look for me right now? I have 500 words. My wife, who's never done NaNo before, doesn't fancy herself a writer, and has less time in the day than I do, has 1,400 words.

Comment

That beats my total of 300 something words from yesterday but I was watching 3 TV shows last night. For sure I can add more words to the first chapter tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              So we can read along with Mitchell and 'Ailina (hopefully!). Keith, Helen, are you posting your works in progress?
                              I have to think about that. I do have an excerpt written on my profile page on nanowrimo.org (the first few paragraphs...it's meant to be a romance-comedy written in the form of e-mail threads), but I did read in No Plot No Problem (yeah, I actually bought it at B&N...on Oct. 31, no less) that it may be a good idea to keep it to myself. I might set up a temporary blog on my site, but with comments turned off. I'll let you guys know.
                              http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Say, What if I were to start Friday? 11/3?
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X