Da' Pidgin English Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Da' Pidgin English Thread

lol ass why dis kine go so intresting awready... so far, all the posts i have fo read out loud, make mo betta fo understand lidat! da kine IS about TALK story afta all... not TYPE story 55555 (btw, 5=haha in Thai)
    "MahAloHawaii"
    xbox gamertag Top Shotta Fry

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      Sorry Bra. I just wrote a long involved eason fir you to make one communiy group, bu da computer went m,ake one me and I lost all my elegant arguments.

Too tired and no memory to recreate 'em, so you decide.

I thin k it would be a goiod thing, and if not you can always ditch 'em.
      k den, when i get some time i do... got choke tings going on right now
      "MahAloHawaii"

Comment

Wow do local people really talk like this? Come on.. is there another island or city that I don't know of?...

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          Wow do local people really talk like this? Come on.. is there another island or city that I don't know of?...
          see dis kine http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=9717
          "MahAloHawaii"

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
            yes. and no.

Some of my BEST work ohana were local to da guts.

Just like anywhere you go, you go with the flow. Tongue/pidgin/slang/wtf ever, if it works for them, it needs to work fora you.

A few of my finest times were being referred to as "dis' my haole boi, BIG jon, luv him cuzz".

Every culture has a pidgin of sorts.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              Am I the only one who thinks pidgin should be spoken, not written?
              Ohhh, don't say that to the folks at Bamboo Ridge. Eric Chock and Darrel Lum have long championed the idea of pidgin as being a legitimate form of literary expression.

Altho' I sorta get your drift. Some of the attempts at moke talk in this thread sound nothing like anything I've heard in 30+ years living in Hawaii.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Ohhh, don't say that to the folks at Bamboo Ridge. Eric Chock and Darrel Lum have long championed the idea of pidgin as being a legitimate form of literary expression.
                (Welcome back, FM - I wondered where you've been.)

Are you familiar with or have any thoughts about the poetry of Jozuf (bradajo) Hadley? I find his way of expressing himself creatively with pidgin to be a fascinating reframing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  I'd love to see a comparative dictionary of Hawaiian Pidgen to English, but I'm too lazy to start one. Probably would be best as one of our interest group things, so we could keep it current.
                  Some good sources of Pidgen a person can go to right away are the now- famous "Pidgen To Da Max" books (or booklets, since they're not that long) which strongly reflect Pidgen as spoken, esp. by the younger people, and the most valuable source of what a person could call standard Pidgen, Da Jesus Book, which is the New Testament in Pidgen, is even better. This is a monumental effort and a serious translation of scripture. The Pidgen Befo Jesus Book (the Old Testament) is in progress. By the way, reading the Bible in a language you're trying to learn is a time-honored way to learn a new language, regardless of your religious affiliation. The other way is daily news papers in that language. But, I don't think there is a Pidgen newspaper. Too darn bad, bruddah.

Comment

On Maui we had two verses to Jan Ken Po...
                    A jan ken a man ken a sucka sucka po,
                    Wailuku Wailuku bum bum sho!

Comment

HOOO, howsit? alohaz from da desert. Hau'oli lanui my friends... so my modda wen show me some Ho'aikane jams, i never jam em til now. "Do You Remember" is da kine! trying fo catch all da lyrics tho, any one kno em?
                      "MahAloHawaii"

Comment

As a keiki I had a record (yes, a vinyl LP) with Mother Goose nursery rhymes in pidgin. I think it had Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and some others. Anyone know where I can find that?

Comment

True or false, is there really a movement to preserve Pidgin? How about an official movement? Kind of ironic considering the years...the decades that authorities were trying to 'correct' it. Is it still popular, still in use, expanding or contracting?

As a Kaleponi haole I accept that I should not even try to speak it. I like hearing it, though. On a flight from Kaua'i to Honolulu two local women in seats ahead of me were talking in it, almost every other word was da kine, they understood each other just fine.

I have been given some of the Peppo pidgin books by friends, they are fun, but it does look like if you weren't raised speaking it you don't have much of a chance of learning it later in life.

Comment

My Pidgin English story….
                            I went to college in the Mainland, and was away from home for a number of years. So shortly after moving back to Hawaii, my wife and I went to a Nissan dealership in Waipahu. My Maxima headlight was cracked and I needed to get a new one.
                            Now I’m a Portagee and pretty fair skinned, so I can easily pass for one haole…

So I go back to the Service department and talk with one of the guys about getting a new light. All done in “proper” English. He tells me no they don’t have any in stock and that he’ll have to order one and it will take a week or more.

Not sure what made me do it, but I completely switched gears, and lamented to him in Pidgin something along the lines of, “Fo’ real bra!, only long eh? U shure u no mo’ any li’dat in da back?”
                            So he tells me, “try wait”
                            …and comes back a minute later with a new headlight for my car saying, “Eh I found one!”

….THE POWER OF PIDGIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                              This is gonna get all hemojang really fast.

LOL!! I got one question, tho - how come local's often get pissed when mainlanders come here and try talk Creole? That's messed up, if you ask me. Not that I give a shit when some 250 lb. moke on DaBus give me da stinky when I say things like, "panty", etc. Das his problem, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Bumpy View Post

LOL!! I got one question, tho - how come local's often get pissed when mainlanders come here and try talk Creole? That's messed up, if you ask me. Not that I give a shit when some 250 lb. moke on DaBus give me da stinky when I say things like, "panty", etc. Das his problem, right?
                                Maybe he thought you were calling HIM one panty?
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X