Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setters vs. Pointers : Up, Down or Closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setters vs. Pointers : Up, Down or Closed?

I got one of 'those' emails the other day: "What if Women ruled the World?"

One of the photos was a good-old American toilet seat with the seat chained so it could not be left 'up.'

I guess we're all familiar with this argument, so no need for a poll until we understand all the issues.

Generally it goes something like this:

SETTERS: "(expletive deleted)! Whenever you MEN leave the seat up and I gotta go in the middle of the night I end up sitting on the cold ceramic and almost falling in!"

POINTERS: "Huh?"

No, of course there's a lack of understanding. Setters (aka women) generally use the seat one way: seat down, back up. Whereas Pointers (aka men) use it two ways: seat up for urination and seat down for defecation.

Seems like hardly anyone remembers to close the lid (I mean, what if your contacts fall in?).

There are three available alternatives:

1. Leave the seat up:
    Benefits:
    a. No urine on the seat,
    b. Pointers don't have to remember to lift.
    Detriments:
    a. Setters get to sit on a cold rim if they don't look first.

2. Seat Down:
    Benefits:
    a. No sitting on the cold rim (for either sex) if inattentive,
    Detriments:
    a. Pointers must remember to lift OR
    b. wipe off seat if they miss.

3. LID down when you're done.
    Benefits:
    a. No cold butt,
    b. no wet seats,
    c. Nothing gets dropped into the toilet water by accident.
    Detriments:
    a. EVERYBODY has to configure the device before use and
    b. EVERYBODY has to return it to closed position when done.
    c. The dog has to find his own water bowl!
    (and someone has to remember to keep it filled)

Sounds like equality and common sense to me, but I've only seen that in my mother-in-law's guest bathroom.

So, let's take it from there. I'm certain I missed something.

K.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Setters vs. Pointers : Up, Down or Closed?

4. Live alone and not have to worry about 1 thru 3.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      4. Live alone and not have to worry about 1 thru 3.
      Thanks TutuSue, when we do the poll, that goes in as one of the alternatives.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Kaonohi; November 4, 2009, 09:30 PM. Reason: The usual
      ~ ~

Comment

Install a urinal.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

This has never been an issue when I was growing up. In my household now, tho, it's #3.... only because my cats will fall in.

I know someone who makes her husband sit to pee. She also tells all her male guests to do that, too. She actually listens and pounds on the door if she thinks they're standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            I gotta go in the middle of the night I end up sitting on the cold ceramic and almost falling in!"
            That's on you. When using a bathroom, even if you live alone, checking and preparing before doing your business to ensure an enjoyable experience is up to the individual.
            Just like in sex, you can't leave it completely up to your partner to make sure it was all that it could/should be.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            4. Live alone.
            Yup. Pure bliss.

Sitting to pee may be a hard one for most men to get on with, but I found it preferable and usually do. I just wish designers would make the toilet to accommodate the pointer when sitting so not to be allowed to touch the inner bowl/water. I hate that! It's the filthiest part of an entire house!
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              That's on you. When using a bathroom, even if you live alone, checking and preparing before doing your business to ensure an enjoyable experience is up to the individual.
              Just like in sex, you can't leave it completely up to your partner to make sure it was all that it could/should be.

I just wish designers would make the toilet to accommodate the pointer when sitting so not to be allowed to touch the inner bowl/water. I hate that! It's the filthiest part of an entire house!
              I'm blind as a bat. I'm also forever losing my glasses. I try to minimize turning on all the lights to see better, since I don't want to disturb any light sleepers around me, especially if I'm trying to be a polite houseguest. I'm not going to get up, fumble around in the middle of the night for my glasses, realize I can't find them, and then take time to put in my contacts just to use the bathroom. Nor do I have any urge, under those circumstances, to squint and get up close and personal with the tb just to check and see if the lid's down. (I try to avoid anything even remotely resempling prayer to the porcelin gods I can help it!) The idea of reaching down to grope the toilet by feel to check on the lid being up or down from a distance isn't very appealing either. (What if I miss and touch the bowl myself? What if I'm visiting someone who isn't so good with the toilet cleaning? Ick.)

If for some reason people are hanging in me and I happen to spend the night, I would like to request that they leave the toilet seat down. Consider it a charitable move for the less visually fortunate, like me.

This probably already exists, but can't they invent a color-coded toilet? It can emit a light glow, like a nightlight for instance, red if the toilet seat's up, green if it's down. I might not be able to see well, but I can at least tell colors, even in the darkness!

As for the filthiness of the tb, according to studies like this one reported by InformationWeek, people's computer keyboards are nastier than toilet bowls...
              Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 5, 2009, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                As for the filthiness of the tb, people's computer keyboards are nastier than toilet bowls...
                Sounds like we need a color code for people who are dirtier than toilets!

Comment

Heh...

http://www.johnny-light.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                    This has never been an issue when I was growing up. In my household now, tho, it's #3.... only because my cats will fall in.
                    Toddlers are also tempted to play in the sparkly, splashy water, and if TV ads are to be believed, also to throw in electronics.

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                    I know someone who makes her husband sit to pee. She also tells all her male guests to do that, too. She actually listens and pounds on the door if she thinks they're standing.
                    The lady is likely aware of the 'splash factor,' as well as potential deficiencies in aim. (This due to the likelihood she's the one who has to clean it up.) Both of these increase proportionally to the square of the distance between the water surface and the point of origin.

Expressed as: (Pa-Wa)² = Sd,
                    where P=Point of origin, W=water surface, a=altitude, d=distance from target.
                    ~ ~

Comment

I just wish designers would make the toilet to accommodate the pointer when sitting so not to be allowed to touch the inner bowl/water.
                      Hmmm, Ron... complaining or bragging?
                      ~ ~

Comment

Hey now...

These day's it's usually a complaint!

Comment

Sitting to pee may be a hard one for most men to get on with, but I found it preferable and usually do. I just wish designers would make the toilet to accommodate the pointer when sitting so not to be allowed to touch the inner bowl/water. I hate that! It's the filthiest part of an entire house!
                          They do...it's called an elongated bowl...but then again I'm Japanese so it doesn't matter!
                          Attached Files
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Dear me. I thought this was a discussion about the Irish Setter dog breed v. the German Short-Haired Pointer breed.

As a 15-year Pointer owner, I know how I'd vote on that one. I'm agnostic on the real subject.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              I got one of 'those' emails the other day: "What if Women ruled the World?"

SETTERS: "(expletive deleted)! Whenever you MEN leave the seat up and I gotta go in the middle of the night I end up sitting on the cold ceramic and almost falling in!"
                              The same can go for women who leave the seat down and I gotta go in the middle of the night I end up peeing on the seat because it's down.

Either way it's a problem for the other sex. In our household though with six boys and one female (wife), majority rules, it's lids up, but then again we have five toilets, one in every bedroom and one in the hallway. Since I love my wife I tend to keep our bathroom toilet in our bedroom lids down.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X