Fine wine glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fine wine glasses?

You can find Riedels for an affordable price at Fujioka's in Market City.

To those who decry the use of proper glassware when enjoying wine (note I said enjoying): would you send your child to school with a quill and inkwell instead of a pen? Would you put retreads on your minivan/Porsche/fill in the _____ ? Would you plate every meal at home in a bowl to be eaten with only a spoon (single guys < 30 notwithstanding)?

The point I'm trying to make is that sure, you can drink wine straight from a mayonnaise jar or the bottle it came in, but you'd only be depriving yourself of enjoying the wine at its full potential. On the other hand, if you prefer to drink Thunderbird, you can stop reading here.

Not convinced? Have a look at a few journal articles that discuss the effect of glass type on wine taste.

Cheers, all.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I married in France...and for our honeymoon, we chose to pick grapes during the harvest at this chateau.

http://www.hudsonwinemerchants.com/218319

Danielle and her husband, Claude (a workmate of my new FIL), were so kind and the entire team of people who were there for the harvest made the entire experience one I will never forget. But, damn, that is hard work! And all for a wine that grabs the throat with the tannin in it (can you tell I don't drink?).
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        I married in France...[...]my new FIL),[...]
        Possibly you mentioned this recent event in another thread and I missed it. Regardless, CONGRATULATIONS, Susie. Now, drag out those mason jars and suck 'em up!

Comment

Heehee, TutuSue....that was my only marriage, the one I'm divorced from now. Perhaps I could've written that post more clearly. That honeymoon was almost twenty years ago.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I married in France
            Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            CONGRATULATIONS, Susie. Now, drag out those mason jars and suck 'em up!
            Heehee, TutuSue....that was my only marriage, the one I'm divorced from now. Perhaps I could've written that post more clearly. That honeymoon was almost twenty years ago.
            Well, what the heck, drag out those mason jars and suck 'em up anyway.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

for those who are interested, reidel now has a very affordable line of glasses (stemmed and sans) at target:

http://www.target.com/gp/search/175-...bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

(sorry, still learning to cut & paste now that eric updated the software on my iphone. preferred to paste the link above sloppily than lose it altogether.)

we bought the stemless pinots and find them a great value. plus, with the lack of stems, eric worries less that his cunning and comely yet clumsy love will break them by accident and suffer a wound to her perfect palms.

oh, and target carries its own brand of wine in the box. no ed meades, to be sure, but better than you'd expect for (a) a cask wine and (2) very affordable price point.

i'd link to it here but i'm quite sure switching to a new safari page would make this post disappear mid-draft. grr.
              Last edited by cynsaligia; June 23, 2009, 02:09 AM. Reason: naughty iphone!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That's great! Thanks for posting your find.

It's funny how high-end brands reaches out to the average joe during recessions and Target has always been good at capturing those moments.

This is definitely worth a closer look.

Comment

Finding durable yet quality glass is always a stretch for me. Plus, I have a real preference for ruby red or cobalt blue in my glassware. I love the way the light shines through, like a stained glass window.
                  I've made some amazing finds in the smaller thrift shops, like the one behind Sander's Piano on King St. (oops, there goes my secret stash!), and in antique stores. Heritage Antiques in Kailua, in fact most of the Kailua antique stores have given me treasures.
                  ($20 for a full, complete 8-place setting of arcoroc ruby red dishes from the '60's!)
                  Ward Warehouse also has a Kitchen shop with great products - executive chef or something. Pricey but GOOD stuff.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

here's a link to target's wine in a cube.

Mixing color, aroma and flavor to provide a fresh, full-bodied taste from the first glass to the last drop, Target offers guests the opportunity to experience the Wine Cube in eight varietals, including Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, Australian Shiraz, Cabernet/Shiraz blend and seasonal offerings throughout the year. The Pinot Grigio won Double Gold at the San Francisco International Wine Competition in June 2007.

Target collaborated with Trinchero Family Estates of Napa to select just the right wines for the Wine Cubes, resulting in a uniquely packaged wine with superior taste and quality.

The 3-liter Wine Cube, which retails for $15.99, is available in seven varieties including, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, Australian Shiraz and a Cabernet/Shiraz blend.

The 1.5-liter Wine Cube, which retails for $9.99, is available year-round in two varieties including, Pinot Grigio and a Cabernet/Shiraz blend, and on a seasonal basis in varieties such as red and white Sangria. Riesling and Pinot Noir seasonal items will be launching in the 1.5-liter size in fall 2007.
                    reviews here, here and here.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Drink ‘thousands of varieties of wine’ to boost immunity and improve mental health (yahoo.com)

Not just red, red, wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X