• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A slice of your life that you wish to share

The following quote came from the What's for Dinner thread:

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    (no comments from the peanut gallery)
    I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to treat the three What's for meal threads as a log or a journal of what one had consumed for that meal. Once in a while someone will post to these threads a question or a comment that some how does not fit into the category of eating a meal and in most cases I have let that slide.

However I have been noticing that type of replies to those threads are getting more frequent and I think it's time for this thread, an almost catch all for whatever is happening in your life that you want to share with the other users of this forum. Since we already have the threads for what you ate for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, what you are reading and forums for watching movies and TV that type of post should not go to this thread.

So to start off this thread:

For me I am slowly cleaning up my place, been doing it for the last 2 weeks or so and it might take more time to do since I am only doing this on the weekends.

Re: A slice of your life that you wish to share

I like the comments (and make plenty of them)...without them, those threads would be as dry as reading a menu.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Bowel Movements

Today I did one poop and two pees.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hate this cold weather and snow!

Lovena
        Lovena

Comment

I have an article about me and my opinions on home stereo systems coming out in a magazine next month. Not as big as Auntie Lynn's, but still cool to me.

By the way, I really like this thread idea.
          Last edited by acousticlady; February 15, 2009, 05:51 AM. Reason: added last sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            ... that type of post should not go to this thread.
            As perhaps indicated by Susie, in my opinion you attempt to restrict the posters too tightly to the topic that you feel is their appropriate subject. It's excessive and unecessary moderation. I don't think it would hurt the quality of the discourse to lighten up a little and let people be less inhibited by the on-topic restrictions. Sure, kill the trolls & spammers and chill out the foul-mouthed name-calling arguments, but otherwise leave the threads to wander whither they will.

I see HT as a group hanging out on the back lanai or at La Mariana, perhaps holding frosty beverages, and enjoying a lazy afternoon's discussion with no particular structure or objective. (Maybe a few people move off to the side occasionally for a more serious discussion to help each other out with a question or problem.) Imagine if every 20 minutes or so you felt obligated to tell the large group "But that subject shouldn't be talked about right here or right now. Let's all get back on topic." Perhaps after a few of those comments the crowd would move to a new talk-story location.

I say this from my own experience with posting & moderating on other boards. Of course you're doing the hard moderating work on this board, so you get the privilege of making the hard decisions. But since you opened the door and others seem to be going through it, that's my opinion. I won't bring it up again unless asked.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I miss Seeking Penance. Where are you dude?
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I agree with Nords and Susie while acknowledging that this particular thread has it's place on HT, too.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  I have an article about me and my opinions on home stereo systems coming out in a magazine next month.
                  If it ends up available online, will you please share that with us?

Comment

I'm in the throes of getting my guest wing ready for the IL's. They're coming
                    the 24th for THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!

While I love them more than life itself I cannot stand these THREE WEEK
                    visits. It's just too damn long. They don't do anything on their own (mind you
                    they're not elderly and unable to) or figure anything out for themselves and
                    always have to eat 3 meals a day which I normally don't do. My FIL gets up
                    exactly at 6:55 comes through the kitchen goes right through to the TV room turns on the Today show and sits there for 3 hours watching that and yelling to us what's on. He'll actually get up and shake the hell out of the orange juice and pour a giant glass with lots of ice and microwave chocolate frosted donuts making sure to get the icing on his hands and leave residue on the fridge door handles and anywhere else he can. He used to yell "BOB BOB, BOB BARKER!"
                    now it "DREW DREW DREW!" at 10 when the Today show is over and watch the Price is Right. The whole time he has his giant mac laptop on his lap playing the solitaire game "Burning Monkey" Eventually we go to lunch and shop all day, this goes on for THREE WEEKS. Shop everyday and eat out.
                    There is not enough vodka in the world for those THREE WEEKS.

They're such wonderful folks and great people but I just go berserk with them constantly with me all that time! There I feel better already! Off to
                    continue cleaning!

Oh, and every light, ceiling fan and radio are constantly on and I go around turning them all off if no one is in the room and they get irritated. I don't get the point of leaving everything on all the time. The kilowatt meter practically flies off the spindle when they visit. They claim to be "green" and
                    forced all that Al Gore books and movie on us yet they don't follow any of that at all. That's another thing, they expect all of us to like the same books, movies, political views and politicians and if we don't they get all hinky and surprised. The fact is the SIL's and us have nothing in common except them and never have. No one even gets excited about the idea of family holidays, vacations or get togethers as no one wants to do anything with each other even meals are an issue. O.K.! Enough! I'll stop for now. The Waltons we ain't! Although the MIL thinks in her mind we are and would like to be together. Thank goodness for living all the way out here. I love them exactly where they are in other states!
                    Last edited by leashlaws; February 15, 2009, 09:34 AM. Reason: add a rant

Comment

Oh dear. I feel bad about your misery, but that was a great post, Leash.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        I'm in the throes of getting my guest wing ready for the IL's. They're coming
                        the 24th for THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!

While I love them more than life itself I cannot stand these THREE WEEK
                        visits. It's just too damn long. They don't do anything on their own (mind you
                        they're not elderly and unable to) or figure anything out for themselves and
                        always have to eat 3 meals a day which I normally don't do. My FIL gets up
                        exactly at 6:55 comes through the kitchen goes right through to the TV room turns on the Today show and sits there for 3 hours watching that and yelling to us what's on. He'll actually get up and shake the hell out of the orange juice and pour a giant glass with lots of ice and microwave chocolate frosted donuts making sure to get the icing on his hands and leave residue on the fridge door handles and anywhere else he can. He used to yell "BOB BOB, BOB BARKER!"
                        now it "DREW DREW DREW!" at 10 when the Today show is over and watch the Price is Right. The whole time he has his giant mac laptop on his lap playing the solitaire game "Burning Monkey" Eventually we go to lunch and shop all day, this goes on for THREE WEEKS. Shop everyday and eat out.
                        There is not enough vodka in the world for those THREE WEEKS.

They're such wonderful folks and great people but I just go berserk with them constantly with me all that time! There I feel better already! Off to
                        continue cleaning!

Oh, and every light, ceiling fan and radio are constantly on and I go around turning them all off if no one is in the room and they get irritated. I don't get the point of leaving everything on all the time. The kilowatt meter practically flies off the spindle when they visit. They claim to be "green" and
                        forced all that Al Gore books and movie on us yet they don't follow any of that at all. That's another thing, they expect all of us to like the same books, movies, political views and politicians and if we don't they get all hinky and surprised. The fact is the SIL's and us have nothing in common except them and never have. No one even gets excited about the idea of family holidays, vacations or get togethers as no one wants to do anything with each other even meals are an issue. O.K.! Enough! I'll stop for now. The Waltons we ain't! Although the MIL thinks in her mind we are and would like to be together. Thank goodness for living all the way out here. I love them exactly where they are in other states!
                        eric and i aren't married yet but i can certainly understand the in-law thing. in laws take liberties that your actual family take but you can't "check" your in laws like you can your actual family without it causing some major conflict that wouldn't necessarily happen with your actual family.

my question is: would it be possible in the future to shorten their stay from three weeks to something more palatable?
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                          While I love them more than life itself I cannot stand these THREE WEEK visits. It's just too damn long. They don't do anything on their own (mind you they're not elderly and unable to) or figure anything out for themselves and always have to eat 3 meals a day which I normally don't do.
                          Hurry and let them know immediately that they will have some extra "time for relaxation" this trip because you have some obligations that you will be keeping. While they are visiting, take some breaks for yourself by saying you have a volunteer project, or are meeting with a church study group, or with a keiki playtime group. Then you take a few 2 or 4 hour outings without them during their visit.
                          If you weren't spending 24/7 with them, you might enjoy their visit more. Take few breaks!
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thanks to all of your for your comments! So here's some more information.
                            The MIL has issues with her feet and she also is an over-packer. Now mind
                            you they keep clothes, shoes, coats, purses, you name it it's here in "their room" and they still travel with TWO SUITCASES EACH and carry-ons. She told us yesterday she packed TWO BOXES and sent them on FEDEX to arrive Weds.
                            What is in said boxes? Well everytime they come she sends a huge box of SHOES, no kidding. The other box (and they are always big and heavy) will have more clothes and things that won't fit in said suitcases.

Oh, and the eating. I have to cook for 6 in order to have any leftover for the husband's lunch and the FIL while not overweight at all eats like a horse hence the huge amount of food to cook. It's like cooking for a family of 6-8 instead of 4. And he won't eat a million things. Beef is what's for dinner and lunch. I have never seen anyone eat so many burgers and steaks without mooing after. Here's his idea of a salad. A whole bag of that iceberg lettuce mix piled atop a whole huge cucumber (so it can soak up the Italian dressing the only one he'll eat). It's positively white and unappetizing. If we order pizza he has to have his own with his "trinity" SGPO (sausage, green pepper and onion). He'll keep it in the box on his lap and open it gingerly looking around the room and slap it shut as he gets out a slice to hoover down. This goes on until the pizza is almost gone. Oh, and leftover pizza stays in the fridge until I have to throw it out as their schedule here does not permit the eating of "old food" as the MIL refers to leftovers. She will not eat them.
                            When they're at home she eats lunch out everyday and he eats said "old food" because he's at the computer all day with the TV on playing said solitaire game and forwarding silly newspaper articles and dumb jokes.

It is lucky I am required to do water exercise for my fibromyalgia so I need to go to the pool everyday - that will be my only break time and also on the days I have no water class I go and do laps. I used to do Pilates and the MIL
                            took that up one year to be able to go along! If my physical therapy continues during their visit that will be another break.

We are going to Maui to break up the time and I always have to tell the reservation agent NO CONNECTING ROOMS and they DON'T NEED TO BE TOGETHER OR NEAR EACH OTHER! One time we were next to each other and the MIL hung on the rail of the lanai and looked in our room yelling "Aloha!
                            What are you doing in there?!".........No joke!

I almost had to leave them a key as the day they arrive I have 2 appointments. That would also mean leaving the alarm code which they can't do at all, totally hapless. It's so simple kids can do it but they can't. They are relieved we'll be home when they arrive next Tuesday for THREE WEEKS!

Dog walks can be a time of relaxation too but when the MIL wants to come she doesn't like the hilly neighborhood "I'm a flatlander" so in true Al Gore fashion she drives and parks in a neighbor's yard to meet us & walk where it is flat.......no kidding!

They are such wonderful and loving people but it's funny to think of all the things they do when they are here! Did I say they're here for THREE WEEKS!?

Comment

omg...what have I done????

Comment

Working...
                              X