Big dogs, in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big dogs, in Hawaii

When we were looking for a place to rent last year, we ran into some problems. Our dogs are both 25-30 lbs each. One's a JRT, the other is a mini-rhodesian ridgeback/beagle mix. We quickly learned to just say beagle mix!

Look on Craig's list and see. It has a space where you can look for rentals that accept pets. This will at least give you an idea of what you're looking at, even though it will be awhile.

We ended up at Iroquois Point. (Demilitarized military housing) They're very dog friendly. It's in Ewa Beach, which is South Island and a horrid commute to...anywhere really. But it may be worth it to you if you can't find anywhere else to keep your pets.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by mike23 View Post
      Can't someone make you sign something that staing any damage done by the dog or otherwise I would be completely responsible for? That would make sense to me, but who knows.
      something to be aware of, given the scenario of your being a renter:

even if you sign such a statement, someone injured by your dog still could sue your landlord and there could be a chance your landlord could be found liable. plaintiff's attorneys will name as defendants anyone who might have had even a drop of responsibility,even if they don't own the dog, especially if that person has deep pockets. the dog owner who is a mere renter might not be seen as having deep pockets, but the homeowner--especially if it is known that s/he owns more than one property and is renting them out--might be.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
        Aggressive dogs are exactly what liability insurance is for. No company would cancel coverage or jack up the premiums for a single incident.
        Our insurance company forbids certain types of dogs. I'd never "chance" that they'd pay up if I broke their rule. And for sure I'd never chance it by having a renter who had a forbidden breed of dog.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          When we were looking for a place to rent last year, we ran into some problems. Our dogs are both 25-30 lbs each. One's a JRT, the other is a mini-rhodesian ridgeback/beagle mix. We quickly learned to just say beagle mix!

Look on Craig's list and see. It has a space where you can look for rentals that accept pets. This will at least give you an idea of what you're looking at, even though it will be awhile.

We ended up at Iroquois Point. (Demilitarized military housing) They're very dog friendly. It's in Ewa Beach, which is South Island and a horrid commute to...anywhere really. But it may be worth it to you if you can't find anywhere else to keep your pets.
          So do you have to be x-military to live there? And does anyone else have dogs that resemble Pti Bull type dogs?

Comment

DO you mind if I ask what apartments you rent? Or if you have a site, or something that I can keep in mind for the future.
            Thanks for the post.
            It's a single-family home in Waipio Gentry. Their lease is up next March but they're talking about staying through 2011. Single-family homes rent in that neighborhood for roughly $2500-$3000/month. Don't know the latest rents on the neighborhood's condos/townhomes.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Our insurance company forbids certain types of dogs. I'd never "chance" that they'd pay up if I broke their rule. And for sure I'd never chance it by having a renter who had a forbidden breed of dog.
            Yikes, I've never heard of a specific breed exclusion before. And you're right, I'd never break that kind of rule.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

So do you have to be x-military to live there? And does anyone else have dogs that resemble Pti Bull type dogs?
              Nope, anyone can live there now. There were a ton of people with boxers that lived there...some with two or three. I remember a HUGE golden retriever, a weimaraner, lots of labs. People lived here because they were allowed to have large dogs- 3 is the limit.

Here is their website You could always try calling and asking if they take dogs and if they have breed restrictions.

No, no, wait- this just popped into my head- with all the paperwork you'll have on your dogs to bring them over, their health certificates, their blood test results, etc, their breeds will be mentioned on several different official certificates. If your vet on the mainland starts out with stating "Weimaraner/Bulldog mix" as the breed, then this is what will be put on the rest of the paperwork. So you'll have official papers stating your dogs are not pitbulls and therefore, a breed restriction wouldn't apply to you.
              Last edited by surlygirly; September 17, 2009, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                Nope, anyone can live there now. There were a ton of people with boxers that lived there...some with two or three. I remember a HUGE golden retriever, a weimaraner, lots of labs. People lived here because they were allowed to have large dogs- 3 is the limit.

Here is their website You could always try calling and asking if they take dogs and if they have breed restrictions.

No, no, wait- this just popped into my head- with all the paperwork you'll have on your dogs to bring them over, their health certificates, their blood test results, etc, their breeds will be mentioned on several different official certificates. If your vet on the mainland starts out with stating "Weimaraner/Bulldog mix" as the breed, then this is what will be put on the rest of the paperwork. So you'll have official papers stating your dogs are not pitbulls and therefore, a breed restriction wouldn't apply to you.
                I have seen that place online before and it loks great! I also aready am on great terms with my vet and he writes it down as a mixed breed. They are the color of weimaraner's. Thanks surlygirly!

Comment

Glad to help. Some days my hamster actually gets running

Comment

Working...
                  X