Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Stew

Honololu Stew

My friend is a vegie, so I made her a dumpling stew. I got the suet and fashioned 4 big fat dumplings. Then as I was chopping up the vegies I got a lesson in Hawaiin. Most of the vegies were in the pot with a handfull of quorn. Just chopping up the corgette and she said hmmmm egg plant as well.
    Two dumplings were left to simmer for afters while the rest were simmering away in the pot.
    I had segs on my eyeballs looking for a pot of jam in the store. At the point of despair - I had asked everybody, when a guy stepped up (he had been to England) and told the assistant "He wants Jello."
    I got my strawberry jam/jello and the meal went down very well. A bit stodgey and we could hardly move afterwards, even to go to the fridge to get a cold stella.

Re: Honolulu Stew

(suet is the fat around the kidneys of a steer)
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      (suet is the fat around the kidneys of a steer)
      Hey ! I never knew that but if I had told my friend that her dumplings contained meat fat,,,, she would have run a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
        Hey ! I never knew that but if I had told my friend that her dumplings contained meat fat,,,, she would have run a mile.
        Maybe she's not a "vegie" after all.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I only know this because it's hard to find in France, and after having lived in England and aquired the taste for suet puddings, I just HAD to find a way to make them at home....so, I did some research (this was before Internet).

So now when I want suet, I have to go to the slaughterhouse and order some. I have to wait til they are killing a steer (castrated bull), which is usually on a Thursday, and then I get to go and pick up a hug chunk (about eight kilos) of suet. All I have to do is trim off the gristle and any meat or bloody bits left on it, grate it, and stick it in the freezer or melt it down and can it, and it's ready to go.
          http://www.google.com/search?q=suet+...rlz=1I7GGLG_en
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yummy...
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
              I only know this because it's hard to find in France, and after having lived in England and aquired the taste for suet puddings, I just HAD to find a way to make them at home....so, I did some research (this was before Internet).

So now when I want suet, I have to go to the slaughterhouse and order some. I have to wait til they are killing a steer (castrated bull), which is usually on a Thursday, and then I get to go and pick up a hug chunk (about eight kilos) of suet. All I have to do is trim off the gristle and any meat or bloody bits left on it, grate it, and stick it in the freezer or melt it down and can it, and it's ready to go.
              http://www.google.com/search?q=suet+...rlz=1I7GGLG_en
              Did you say suet puddings to make my mouth water ? I love them ! We buy suet here in the the store in small blocks just like butter. You don't need much and so it can be put back into the freezer.

Comment

With you being a Brit, Barry, I would have though you would have known for sure that it was an animal byproduct.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Help, please.

what's a "seg" on your eyeball?

Jam is what I spread on my toast (sweet fruit preserves) Jello is a flavored and sweetened gelatin dessert, sometimes referred to as a "congealed salad" when prepared with fruits, creams, etc...What were you making with Jello?

Is a "cold stella" a lager/beer?

I think that's all for now...

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                    Help, please.

what's a "seg" on your eyeball?

Jam is what I spread on my toast (sweet fruit preserves) Jello is a flavored and sweetened gelatin dessert, sometimes referred to as a "congealed salad" when prepared with fruits, creams, etc...What were you making with Jello?

Is a "cold stella" a lager/beer?

I think that's all for now...

Sorry I should have explained better. "segs on your eyeballs" means you are getting eyestrain looking for something.

I could not find Jam in Hawaii > it was on the Jello counter.

True cold stella is a lager beer.

Comment

Mahaloz....I understand now.

Off to make chicken soup and a big bowl of lime Jello!

Comment

my grandmother used to use suet to make her own mincemeat for the holidays. She put it in a big ceramic container, poured a lot of brandy in it and let it sit for a couple of months. The pies that came from that were very good! Of course, one of my uncles used to also add brandy (unbeknownst to grandmother!), so the mincemeat was pretty potent by the time Thanksgiving came along
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Mahaloz....I understand now.
                          I still don't get it.

Oh, I've never tried mincemeat before. I wonder if I'll like it, or if it's an acquired taste?

Just talking to myself.

Comment

Just to let you know, the gelatin in Jello is obtained from the hooves of animals. Jello is not a vegetarian friendly product. There are plant derived gelatin products available for "vegies".

Comment

Originally posted by lihingmui View Post
                              Just to let you know, the gelatin in Jello is obtained from the hooves of animals. Jello is not a vegetarian friendly product.
                              I was just going to say (before Lihingmui said it) that Jello is not for vegetarians. I work for a company that has a lot of vegetarians, and I was "enlightened" very early on that Jello (animal-derived gelatin) is a no-no. I was not aware of this. At my previous work place, there were no vegetarians, and I'm sure everyone there would have been astounded that Jello was meat-related.

But if you think coming up with a vegetarian-friendly pot-luck dish is difficult, bear in mind that my current company also has a number of vegans!

Comment

Working...
                              X