So, what's up with KHVH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, what's up with KHVH?

I say it's a severe lack of worthwhile competition that allows KHVH to prosper, and that the all night airing of Coast To Coast is also a cash cow for them.
    I'd like to know the drop-off of listener % they suffered when Al Franken was on air during our mornings. The rest of Air-America was junk, but AF was good radio. Had there been a few more worthwhile choices like that throughout the day and had AF remained on air I'd bet KHVH would have eventually/grudgingly adjusted substantially in their day time schedualings.
    There's simply pitifully little else to listen to, so they get big ratings from those who want their daily dose of assurance that their republican views are correct and those who can't do without radio entertainment, no matter how much they don't like it, but also find the alternative choices worse. I'd rather listen to crickets than liars like
    Hamada/Rush/Hannity/Buck/Bowlen, or much else that Honolulu has to offer.
    That $ = good, period, doesn't fly in my book. I realize that's the world we live in, but it doesn't make it the best we can do, by far.
    KHVH has indeed failed, miserably in fact, towards actually benefitting the community they are obliged to serve. They do the most bottom line possible per legality in those repects, but highly strive to promote an injurious conservative agenda, which to me is a major lack of responsibilty (to say the least), which = not good.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It's all about making a dollar nowadays.
      The "to serve in the public's interest" doctrine has long since been abandoned. As long as a station's making money, you're not going to see a format change. They don't fix what's not broke. People need to stop listening for change to take affect

Comment

And I strongly suggest the daytime listeners do exactly that!

Comment

Unfortunately your suggestion runs smack against what listeners are considering (if at all).

Serving the public interest is what they (radio stations) are doing. Radio stations only pick formats that work with their target demographics. If their target listener wants to hear conservative talk and advertisers want to fund it, so be it.

If there weren't a large enough group of listeners to warrant this format, advertising agencies wouldn't be spending their client's advertising dollars on it and KHVH and all other conservative talk radio stations nationwide wouldn't be broadcasting it anymore. It's that simple market rule of supply and demand. The exact opposite can be said of Al Frankin.

What's interesting is that even the more liberal NPR has become more moderate giving a more unbiased and balanced view of the political scene than it has during the earlier parts of the Bush/Cheney reign and for the most part during the Clinton/Gore era. It still sways toward the left however there has been some give to the right.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig's right. The daytime listeners are getting what they want. It doesn't matter if it upsets youor me, the audience is there for conservative radio.
            There's more of an audience for it than there is for liberal, or whatever other label people want to put on it. The conservatives have better demographics for talk radio, and that's what it's all about. Demographics and advertising dollars.
            I personally don't like it, but it's a business and they cater to the buyer, and we aren't the buyers.

Comment

Al Fanken wasn't Air-America (even tho he was a main instigator and ponied up big $ of his own for start up, and again when the going got tough at the end), only the best part of it, by far the best part of it. If the rest had been up to his standard, the resulting termination of AA would probably not have happened, but in fact flourished.
              Too bad there is only one Al Franken and few like him. The good part tho, he's gonna kick Coleman's ass out of Minnesota politics, and I hope Al eventually becomes president.

As for NPR, years ago the Bush administration's goons (who wish to destroy anything like NPR) leaned heavily on the FCC about 'biased' reporting because NPR had the nerve to do investigative reporting and expose Bush's absolutely illegal and unAmerican actions against this country. And they caved in to the pressure, which is why they now don't do real news any more, just the fluf. That's more than a disservice to America and the FCC and NPR need to nailed for it.

Most of what you guy's are saying is true, sadly, and a big reason we're now FUBAR. But will it change or anybody be called on it and pay for all this crap, of course not. There are agendas to promote and big $ to be made until the ship is completely sunk, so to hell with what's right.

Comment

The reason there isn't an audience for liberal radio is because the number of true liberals is small.

It's the squeaky wheel gets the grease mentality. Liberals are like mynah birds that make big noise and you expect a thousand, but you shoo them away and there are only a handful.
                Last edited by Joe King; October 7, 2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I agree that America hasn't stood up and shouted down the scum that have had a field day for decades spewing their BS and making all too many believe that they are talking for the majority. Shame on us.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe King View Post
                    Liberals are like mynah birds that make big noise and you expect a thousand, but you shoo them away and there are only a handful.
                    I thought mynah birds are dying off because of Global Warming.
                    You can call me Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      I thought mynah birds are dying off because of Global Warming.
                      You can call me Al.
                      Is your last name Liber?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe King View Post
                        Is your last name Liber?
                        Liber? Circumsized from Libermann.

Comment

OK.... enough ot this. Talk about the radio station and its programming please, otherwise topic is going to be locked.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Erika's SB column 'The Buzz' today, has the local radio show Arbitron ratings, showing that "oddly in an election year, conservatively-oriented news/talk KHVH-AM 830 has fallen out of the top 10 morning shows since last summer".

I havn't been listening, but something tells me that the BS day crew there have been slagging Obama/Dems, while touting McPalin, and more people are sick of it.

I highly doubt any drop has come at night during the Coast To Coast broadcast.
                            Maybe now, the owner's will change the format and get rid of these dirty clowns.

Comment

It is unlikely that any of KHVH's day programming will change. They have a niche audience who are quite loyal and still able to bring numbers to KHVH to make them #1 in the talk format. If you look at the overall Arbitrons you will find just below the top 10 the following talk format stations ranked in this order:

#14 - KHVH 830 AM (tied with KPOI FM and KAIM FM with a 3.0 overall share)

#17 - KKEA 1420 AM (sports talk)

#18 - KHBZ 990 AM (another conservative clear channel talk station)

The other talk stations rank below KHBZ

KHNR 690 AM, KUMU AM 1500, KWAI 1080 AM.

KQMQ 93.1FM, KHCM 97.5 FM and KORL 101.1 FM all music stations ranked below KHVH.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The only thing buoying KHVH now is the night time show.

Just how low does the rating for the day stuff have to fall before they bail on their decreasing niche?
                                It's obvious their oblivious-to-reality hyper-conservative act has grown quite stale with the State's/Nation's woes increasing.

Comment

Working...
                                X