Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

I agree you can't beat school lunch; especially since the boy loves it and comes home telling me what he had and how good it was. He never did that in South Carolina. Oh, wait, he says the wheat rolls are the same and taste just as good. I don't think the price is too high; I could not send hot, tasty food for the same price.

Comment

We never had to do cafeteria duties at my schools. (Plural because I moved a lot, so it wasn't just the single school, but all across the area. Or maybe I just always moved before it was my turn to do cafeteria duty :P ) But I'm pretty sure you did have to submit your tax forms to "prove" you couldn't afford lunch.

I agree with Alohabear, though. There were some years where we "weren't poor enough" to get assistance, but still didn't have the finances to "live comfortably". There was an ironic sort of victory when we were officially declared to be below the poverty level.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I'll bet them old days must have had long dirt roads with major potholes and strewn with glass too yeah? Ho yeah when I was one kid, da road to school was soooo bad...(HOW BAD WAS IT?)...
        Ohhh.... I know..... it was uphill - both ways

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
          Ohhh.... I know..... it was uphill - both ways
          And, you folks know how it rains in Hilo!

I heard some guy on a mainland sports radio show complain about the time it rained 24" in 30 days. Last month's Hilo "precipitation" was 24" in THREE days, with a high in the Waiakea Uka area of 46" in that same 72-hour period!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
            And, you folks know how it rains in Hilo!

I heard some guy on a mainland sports radio show complain about the time it rained 24" in 30 days. Last month's Hilo "precipitation" was 24" in THREE days, with a high in the Waiakea Uka area of 46" in that same 72-hour period!
            don't think it was easy living through those rains.

pax

Comment

The reduced/free lunch program is all well and good but I think that it needs to be restuctured to account for school offenses like smoking.

If you are caught smoking in school (which SO many kids do) then you get a warning. Get caught again and if you are on reduced/free lunch you get that taken away from you.

The logic would be if you can afford to waste money on a $5 pack of smokes, you can afford a $1 for food, which is actually vital to your survival.
              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                don't think it was easy living through those rains.
                And den there was the active volcano! Lava everywhere! But you still walked uphill to school.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

School breakfast/lunch price going up again?

Oh oh! Yet another proposed increase in the price of school breakfast and lunch. Get ready for another chorus of moans and groans from the public school parents in HT.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...ls_prices.html
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I had reduced lunches in Elementary thru Intermediate. And we lived in gov't housing.

No shame whatsoever. Food is food.

Comment

I don't remember any "free or reduced lunch" program back in the '50s, but there was a "free lunch" wooden token used by kids whose parent worked for the sugar plantation and was out on strike.

Comment

whoa at back in the 50's - *curtsies* much respect

whoa - free lunches - yay!

now i come from the dirt....and between divorced parents...i absolutely had free lunches....i had one parent (mother) who lived in the projects and one (father) who lived in the suburban neighborhoods with the step mother

i was a helper in the cafeteria always hitting up the cafeteria woman for snacks in between classes in high school - however i was never ashamed of my free lunches - never ashamed of where i'm from either - the projects

i only wished now i had free lunches for lunch at work

mahalo have a pleasant week
                        stay forever young

Comment

Yes I got free lunches and I am not ashamed. As a child I was brought up in France by my nan. We were poor but she taught me so many things about how to make a meal out of vertually anything.
                          I was given tickets to hand in at school for the free lunch and I never thought anything of it. Most of the children had the same tickets as me.

If I can just briefly explain that some parts of France were poverty stricken after WW2. Where I was brought up in Brest on the coast, we relied a lot on sea-food or what we could grow.

I remember a shipment of bananas coming in when I was seven. I got one and didn't know you had to peel it before you ate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                            Where I was brought up in Brest on the coast, we relied a lot on sea-food or what we could grow.
                            That's the best meal....if you ask me!!! what we grow and harvest and that from the ocean (sea-food).

Have a pleasant week
                            stay forever young

Comment

I suspect we qualified for free/reduced lunch but my parents were too proud to apply. Ironic since our neighbors got "gub'ment cheese" and shared it with us.

In any case, public school lunches are a deal...but, have they gotten any healthier?? I remember we were given JUNK when I was a kid: pizza, fries, burgers etc. Not that I was complaining! Still, I try very hard not to give my kiddos that stuff on a daily basis. It would be nice to know all my hard work will not be undermined when they reach school age.

Comment

70(s) couldn't beat da' fabulous package lunch at 25 cents. No, neva' qualify for the those benefits, even though parents were already retired. Beat that, huh? Jus' was shy, under the mark. So, as a kid, still had to work myself. Nobody choosy to work, then ... even tho' came hard times.
                                ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Comment

Working...
                                X