Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I don't think it was ever meant to replicate the original. I like that they use the original theme and didn't mess with it too much - but i'm enjoying the show for its entertainment value. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be like the original so I'm not disappointed that it is different. Hawaii has changed over the years. I would expect the show to change too.

just my 2 cents worth here.
    I agree with anapuni808 and tutusue 100%. IMO no tv show made today can be compared with a tv show produced in 1968-1980. Even music videos from that era look dated when compared to the ones produced today.

I like the new show for the most part and I and many local residents that I've talked to want to see the new Hawaii Five O succeed.

This is because the revenue and promotion Hawaii will get from this show will be far better than anything else the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau could accomplish.

Besides, the general reviews from the mainland of the new series have been been positive and upbeat and that's a good sign.

Comment

I still love the show. It's big dumb fun. It's "Armageddon," not "Citizen Kane."

I also think it still celebrates Hawaii more than it mischaracterizes and exploits it, though certainly it's a fine line and a lot of people feel differently. This week's episode brought us "flip flops" instead of "slippers," and the griping on Twitter (in which I also participated) prompted both Daniel Dae Kim and writer J.R. Orci to respond (they knew "slippers" was accurate and even filmed a take using it, but opted for the term most viewers would understand).

So yes, it gets a lot wrong, but some things are surprisingly well done. And given how quickly things move and how rapid-fire the editing usually is, I pay attention to where the editors choose to pause or linger. An earlier episode ended with McGarrett and his sister having a picnic at their father's graveside at Punchbowl, something I don't think you see often elsewhere. And this week, the funeral at sea, with the bittersweet "Hawaii 78" playing over it, was a nice touch.

I like the mix of guest stars, giving us Kevin Sorbo and Butch Helemano (and Aidan Powell) in the same episode. Are there enough local faces featured? Maybe not. But there are certainly more on "Hawaii Five-0" than on any other show out there now, and we've certainly seen more locals (however that's defined) in five episodes of "Hawaii Five-0" than in six years of "LOST."

I could do without the oversaturated "CSI Miami" coloring, and surely Hawaii is not the hotbed of machine-gun toting gang members, international drug cartels, human traffickers* and happy homeless hippie camps it's made out to be... but Hawaii still comes off as someplace worth protecting, and as a place with more to offer than the typical postcard would suggest, and I can get behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        [...] And this week, the funeral at sea, with the bittersweet "Hawaii 78" playing over it, was a nice touch.[...]
        I always get misty-eyed when I see a local funeral that involves the ocean. I attended Iz's and Rell Sunn's and there's just no denying that it's an overwhelming experience. I woulda loved to have been a fly on the wall when the writers' learned of this tradition. It made for a breathtaking scene with a great choice of music. I even got misty-eyed watching it on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          There were some continuity issues too. There was the scene where the guys on dirt bikes rode through the camp starting fires; Grace knocked one of them off his bike when she hit him in the chest as he went by her, but later he was picked as the bad guy because of a black eye. She never touched his head.
          The guy got up and Kono flipped him on the ground again.

Comment

Sorry for finding this thread so late in the game. I'd like to jump in here, if I could.

First off...R.I.P. James MacArthur. I would have loved to seen him make a few appearances in this new series.

I am definitely in agreement with alot of folks that Scott Caan is really great in this show. His rant about Pizza ia few weeks back was classic, and a speech I've given too many times to people here in LA about Pizza....really funny. I think his character is the best of the bunch.

I think, tho' Alex O'Laughlin's performances are kinda stiff, so was Jack Lord in the original....stiff is ok, if it's done in the right way.

One question tho' (forgive me , but I didn't read all 11 or so pages of this thread) Am I the only one who's annoyed that KONO is now a 90 lb girl who can kick everyone's ass, instead of a big Hawaiian Braddah ?
            That being said, I like Grace Parks (what's not to like?), but would have preferred her as an additional character, instead of making her the "new" kono.

I really like the show alot, and other than the above comparison, am NOT holding it up or comparing it to the original series.

I'm really happy that the show got picked up for the rest of the season. It's the only network show I actually make a point to watch, and Monday Night is Hawaii 5-0 night at my house.

I think my favorite episode so far was the pizza episode, like I said, for Danno's classic banter, but this week's past episode was good too.

Anyway, there's 3 or 4 cents from me.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I was on the phone with my credit card company yesterday, and the operator spent a minute or two telling me how much she loves Hawaii on Hawaii Five-O. I don't know if she cares much for the show itself, but the backdrop was enough that she's already planned her vacation here for next year. She's never been here and was quite excited.

It's working.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                I am definitely in agreement with alot of folks that Scott Caan is really great in this show. His rant about Pizza ia few weeks back was classic, and a speech I've given too many times to people here in LA about Pizza....really funny. I think his character is the best of the bunch.
                When I heard Scott Caan's rant, I was thinking that's exactly what Tikiyaki would've said. Having read your food blog, the rant is almost word for word on what you said about pizza! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                  When I heard Scott Caan's rant, I was thinking that's exactly what Tikiyaki would've said. Having read your food blog, the rant is almost word for word on what you said about pizza! LOL
                  Right ? I think the guy who wrote the dialog must have been eavesdropping on one of my MANY conversations about this topic.
                  I love how Danno called it "Mutz" (mozzerella) - that writer knows his East Coasters.

Comment

Having read your food blog, the rant is almost word for word on what you said about pizza!
                    Tikiyaki has a food blog? Why do I not know about this?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Ditto for me!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        Ditto for me!
                        Tikiyaki's food blog is at this link: http://tikiyaki.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yea....i haven't updated it in about 5 years...but I DID blog food there for a few minutes. Enough for me to rant about pizza.

Comment

.Besides, the general reviews from the mainland of the new series have been been positive and upbeat and that's a good sign.
                            Hmmm. The opinions that I have run across with (both locally and from the mainland) have been mixed, at best.

But reviews from critics (pro and amateur) don't matter, really. What's most important to a TV show's survival are the ratings. And the numbers don't look good. H50's ratings have been on a continual decline since the first week. The bloggers from TV Series Finale have been tracking the show's ratings.

H50 has been assured of having a full first season. But if the current trend of plummeting ratings continues, the show will not be renewed beyond that. The program is in need of some serious changes, as a charismatic Danno, a scantily-clad Kono, and lush Hawaiian scenery alone are not enough to keep audience members from jumping ship as each week passes.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              Yea....i haven't updated it in about 5 years...but I DID blog food there for a few minutes. Enough for me to rant about pizza.
                              I just read your Hawaii trip (2006) nice post. You'll be sad to hear that Morning Brew is not free WIFI anymore but they moved into a really lovely spot a couple doors down from the old location and now serve beer & wine as well as other foods like ahi skewers. The one thing I never liked about their food is it's just stuff from Costco without much inspiration. I work at the new store next to it so I get their Americano quite frequently!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                What's most important to a TV show's survival are the ratings. And the numbers don't look good. H50's ratings have been on a continual decline since the first week. The bloggers from TV Series Finale have been tracking the show's ratings.

H50 has been assured of having a full first season. But if the current trend of plummeting ratings continues, the show will not be renewed beyond that.
                                I wholly concur with this. My favorite Hawaii based TV show to use regarding ratings is Byrds of Paradise. A lot of people in Hawaii loved it; the show never connected with mainland audiences. The ratings tanked. Show gone after 13 episodes.

Just like North Shore, Island Son, Marker, Hawaii, and countless others... no ratings, no show.

5-0 is lucky to get a renewal. Now they better live up to CBS's and audience expectations or else there will be a set and prop auction by next June at the old Advertiser building.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X