Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

So for today's episode we have:

1) The return of the Shave Ice guy
    2) Robert Loggia
    3) The USS Missouri
    4) Kelly Hu
    5) Kim Hagi

It did seem that the outdoor shots were less orangey.
    Last edited by helen; November 1, 2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      [...]
      5) Kim Hagi
      [...]
      Is that how she was listed in the credits?

Comment

I thought it was a so-so episode. Nothing really good and nothing really bad. Very predictable story line and so-so acting made it (once again) just another cop show except it happens to be filmed here. [/yawn]
        Kelly Hu is supposedly an assistant to the governor, so perhaps she'll be a semi-regular?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Last night's episode was definitely the darkest. It opened with a brief tribute to the late James Macarthur. We then got a story line featuring PTSD and domestic discord caused by kids killed in Middle East crossfire, and a soliloquy from Robert Loggia about lives lost at Pearl Harbor. There was some banter, some humor, but the writers are at least flexing their drama muscles a bit.

If Kono keeps losing the people she's supposed to babysit, maybe they'll stop giving her that particular assignment.

As for the ratings, despite competing with Game 5 of the World Series last night, it looks the the numbers for "Hawaii Five-0" are actually up a tiny bit over last week.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I thought it was a so-so episode. Nothing really good and nothing really bad. Very predictable story line and so-so acting made it (once again) just another cop show except it happens to be filmed here. [/yawn]
            The story writing could have been a lot better, especially when you pull the "dead-wife-had-secret-past" shtick.

I like the idea of McGarrett using his SEAL skills, though a touch of Under Siege.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Kelly Hu is supposedly an assistant to the governor, so perhaps she'll be a semi-regular?
            If things go well, she'll be a recurring character and a thorn on McGarrett's side (i.e., antagonist).
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

'Iron Chef' host named new 'Five-0' villian
              Wo Fat will return via Mark Dacoscos.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post

If things go well, she'll be a recurring character and a thorn on McGarrett's side (i.e., antagonist).

As much as I like to see Hu be a regular, that would mean we would see less of the Governor. They try to establish the same Fiive O - Governor's Office relationship in the first two few episode. It would be a shame to drop that. The same way about Danno's personal life. That was also a strong one. I hope they continue to give it a few minutes of air time to keep it from being forgotten.

Comment

They had people on the ship carrying purses and bags you are not allowed to bring anything to the museums/memorials if you have a bag you need to check it at their facility for I think $3.00 or leave it in your car (which is not the best idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    They had people on the ship carrying purses and bags you are not allowed to bring anything to the museums/memorials if you have a bag you need to check it at their facility for I think $3.00 or leave it in your car (which is not the best idea.)
                    Interesting. I didn't know that! Possibly an advisor pointed that out to production and production elected to still go with the additional props. We may never know!!!

Comment

Yep, they had to leave the purses/bags in the script since they got used twice -- once when he wanted to find CrazyGlue to fix the gash in that one hostage's head and then again when he grabbed some makeup to use in lifting the fingerprint off the bloody knife.
                      (Unusual for someone to carry CrazyGlue in their purse, isn't it? )
                      Considering that the USS Missouri is supposed to be empty, I guess they figured those two items wouldn't be found in any room where he had the hostages so they had to use the purse/bag idea.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The other plot holes in that episode that involves the USS Missouri are:
                        1. McGarrett having a map of the ship in his car (suspect that was a deleted scene where someone else gives him a map).
                        2. McGarrett swimming under the ship.
                        3. How come there were no other Navy type people there to help?

Comment

what difference does it possibly make if purses aren't allowed on the Missouri? and I don't believe there are any navy personnel stationed on the ship - it's been de-commissioned.

Folks - it's not meant to be real! what has happened to people's sense of imagination? I don't understand those who try to make fictional TV be real. It just totally baffles me
                          Last edited by anapuni808; November 2, 2010, 05:10 PM.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            [...]I don't understand those who try to make fictional TV be real. It just totally baffles me
                            It's a fun game for a lot of people. And I don't mean that in a negative way. Kinda like watching a driving shot on Oahu and knowing that the turns can't possibly lead to the destination of the following scene!

I don't know if IMDB still has user comments but I remember, when researching films years ago, seeing comment after comment referring to continuity issues. People really had fun finding the occasional needle (or elephant!) in a haystack. While something like the purses and bags shown in a situation where they're not allowed irl isn't a big deal...if those same purses and bags appeared in one of the scenes on the ship but, oops, not the others then that's a filmic problem. Still, compared to world hunger and cancer, it pales in comparison!

As a former script supervisor I was in charge of continuity. It wasn't my job to determine the appropriateness of bags on a bags-free ship, however, just that whatever decision was made was followed thru each corresponding scene!!!

I now tune out scrutinizing a film because it reminds me of work and takes the fun out of watching it. But I do still get a chuckle out of watching a car drive down Farrington Hwy. in Waianae, turn left on, say, Makaha Valley Rd. and there's...Turtle Bay!

Comment

yeah TS - everything you just said.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                                The other plot holes in that episode that involves the USS Missouri are:
                                1. McGarrett having a map of the ship in his car (suspect that was a deleted scene where someone else gives him a map).
                                2. McGarrett swimming under the ship.
                                3. How come there were no other Navy type people there to help?
                                I like the part when the gunman tells McGarrett to go into the head then looks down: "Cool a ladle with a chain on it! Perfect!". Locks McGarrett in the head.

Comment

Working...
                                X