X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I know of some great manju on Kaua`i (Lawai Mini Mart); I hear Maui has some ono manju as well, but I've not had it. Certainly better than doughnuts.
    Leo I don't mean to pick on you but does anyone find this bizzare that one would spend in excess of $240 (round trip) to go from Oahu to Kauai, to take their car on the SuperFerry, drive something like 15 to 17 miles in the dark only to find out that the Lawai Mini Mart might not be open at 8pm?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Leo I don't mean to pick on you but does anyone find this bizzare that one would spend in excess of $240 (round trip) to go from Oahu to Kauai, to take their car on the SuperFerry, drive something like 15 to 17 miles in the dark only to find out that the Lawai Mini Mart might not be open at 8pm?
      Nah, that's like that movie, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.

Comment

You see we all get some ono kine grinds on every isle. As why we all bring back some goodies for everybody when we go off Island....
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

More protesters on Kauai tonight.

I hope the 60 or so people in the water get arrested and charged in federal court.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
            You see we all get some ono kine grinds on every isle. As why we all bring back some goodies for everybody when we go off Island....
            Well, it finally gives some meaning to the words "road trip" for Hawaii residents.

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
              All I read is their policy that "Excessively dirty or muddy vehicles will not be permitted". This does not address dried mud in undercarriages that usually doesnt break loose until it is bounced around, like on a rough trail to a remote fishing spot.
              Wrong again. They do indeed have thorough inspection procedures in place which meet or exceed state and federal requirements. Please consider doing appropriate research on a topic before jumping to incorrect conclusions.

Lets just say out of your dozen people only one of them is with a group that will poach the reef. Right now on Maui I can find lobster walking around in the daytime. 1 to 2 years after HSF gives Oahu's poachers access this will no longer happen. GUARANTEED.
              Precisely who is making that "guarantee", which the rest of us know to clearly be a guess and not a guarantee?
              No matter. Your comment above is ludicrous and without merit.

There is a road to Hana if you haven't heard. About a one hour ride from Kahului is a poachers dream come true. They could easily rake in enough lobster to cover their full fare ticket on HSF.
              Stupid is as stupid does.
              Now see, this is what prompted me to waste a minute in replying to you. Because as any sane person can clearly tell you, your "stupid is as stupid does" comment clearly applies to YOU telling all the so-called poachers where the lobster are and how cheap it is to poach them.
              Brilliant move!

Your comments about "Federal Troops" show -- again -- a total lack of understanding of the facts and the law, and are not worth even debating with you.
              Comparing the SuperFerry situation to Waco and Ruby Ridge is, I'm forced to say, stupid.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

From the Hawaii Superferry website:

Our Statement Regarding TRO

"Hawaii Superferry is disappointed with the temporary restraining order issued today by the Maui Circuit Court. Hawaii Superferry will, of course, comply with the TRO. We intend to pursue all legal options that are available to us. A hearing is scheduled for August 29 to consider our opposition to the restraining order. We are hopeful that we will prevail in our August 29 hearing and expect to resume operations to Maui on August 30.

Customers who have booked a voyage to or from Maui for travel on August 28 and August 29, will automatically be issued a refund. For those Oahu/Maui passengers with travel dates starting after August 29, we will issue a refund upon request to our website or reservations call center. Please note that due to heavy call volumes it is recommended that passengers use the website.

Hawaii Superferry will contact those passengers who have commenced their Oahu/Maui travel and are scheduled to complete their travel on August 28 or August 29 to rebook their return travel dates.

We will plan to continue our service between the islands of Oahu and Kauai and look forward to continuing to serve the people of these communities.

For more than three years, Hawaii Superferry has met all the requirements of the state Department of Transportation, including provisions pertaining to environmental review. The company complied with, and in many instances, exceeded Hawai‘i and Federal environmental standards.

The same careful attention to regulatory compliance and overall responsiveness has been applied to the protection of whales, safety and security issues, community and harbor users, prevention of the spread of invasive species, and traffic management.

Hawaii Superferry is grateful for the support and excitement shown by our residents who have booked more than 23,000 voyages on the Alakai and the 4,000 passengers who have experienced the sheer pleasure and excitement of Hawaii Superferry over the last two days.

It is our continued hope and intention to serve the people of the state of Hawai‘i by providing the convenient inter-island travel and transportation alternative they desire."
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Well...it IS really good manju...

On-topic, however, it really is a shame that you folks are being jerked back and forth on this. It appears (keeping in mind that my info is coming ONLY from this HT discussion, as well as the two Honolulu papers' websites) that the DOT deserves the most heat for not following the rules to the letter, BUT it also appears that HSF is trying to do the right thing. Their initial image in the eyes of Island residents (their most likely long-term customers) will be determined by how they handle this shifting situation. They stand to suffer financially from all the delays and rulings, and those of you who would be willing riders get to make plans, change plans, make new plans, wait for news, etc. There's little you can do, and that has to be exceedingly frustrating.
                  Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 27, 2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

This is not a good sign...Hui-R apparently plans to have nonviolent protests every day HSF sails into Nawiliwili at 3 p.m. down at the harbor.

ONGOING PROTEST, 3:00 pm each day Meet at Nawiliwili Park, Lihue.
                    Even if you are not prepared to take direct action, please come down to the park to show your support for the protesters.
                    Requirements for Direct Action

Successful nonviolent direct action requires self-discipline, understanding, and patience.

We are determined, and we are compassionate. Mohandas Gandhi referred to this type of action as Satyagraha, or truth-force. We seek to not only prevent harm and make what is wrong right, but also to reach those whom we oppose with our message.

As we move forward, we must remember to take action in love. Only in love can we truly win the hearts and minds of those we reach out to. Only in love can we work in common cause to reach our destination, justice. May the bridges we build together bring new light to Kaua’i!

Please take time to educate yourself and read from the articles below on Civil Disobedience, paying particular attention to the Handbook.

The Coast Guard's jurisdiction only applies to 100 yards of the boat, so while they might be able to keep the surfers and canoes away from the boat itself, I don't know how far they can get with the people blocking the entrances to the road leading out of the harbor.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; August 27, 2007, 08:31 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Wrong again. They do indeed have thorough inspection procedures in place which meet or exceed state and federal requirements. Please consider doing appropriate research on a topic before jumping to incorrect conclusions.

Precisely who is making that "guarantee", which the rest of us know to clearly be a guess and not a guarantee?
                      No matter. Your comment above is ludicrous and without merit.

Now see, this is what prompted me to waste a minute in replying to you. Because as any sane person can clearly tell you, your "stupid is as stupid does" comment clearly applies to YOU telling all the so-called poachers where the lobster are and how cheap it is to poach them.
                      Brilliant move!

Your comments about "Federal Troops" show -- again -- a total lack of understanding of the facts and the law, and are not worth even debating with you.
                      Comparing the SuperFerry situation to Waco and Ruby Ridge is, I'm forced to say, stupid.
                      State and Federal requirements? The same State that says we dont need an EIS and the Same Federation that had a US Coast Guard sailor manning a deck gun pointed at US Citizens last night? You mean those State and Federal requirements? THIS is why we must have an EIS.

My guarantee or your guess? That is precisely why an EIS is a MUST.

The poachers will have no problem finding the lobsters, or the limu, or the Kumu or the Mu. Right now they are out in the open. The residents of Hana and other areas are on a self governed kapu system, they only take what they need to feed their family. I am not worried about Hana or their residents. They are perfectly able to protect their resources on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                        The NIMBY attitudes from some neighbor island people is worse than some of the spew that comes from recent mainland arrivals to Oahu.
                        Amen to that, Joe. A-freakin-men!

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                        You obviously have no understanding of the business model. There's no point in arguing with ignorance.
                        Yeah, I'm thinking that the screen name should've been Star Of MADness.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        Really, if they think all those drugs are going to just float on in, what about all the weed that'll be coming back?
                        Indeed. Everyone knows the best stuff is grown on the outer islands.

The children! Who will protect our children?!
                        Funny! Very funny!
                        I guess the TRO because of slow paint striping will save the keiki.

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        I would rather this whole thing be duked out in court than by protesters getting hurt or arrested in nonviolent demonstrations
                        "Nonviolent"? You consider the protesters attacks on innocent citizens and their property to be "nonviolent" peaceful protests?!?? HELLO?
                        You're ignoring stone cold FACTS. Again.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; August 27, 2007, 09:07 PM. Reason: Fixed a minor typo

Comment

This is not a good sign...Hui-R apparently plans to have nonviolent protests every day HSF sails into Nawiliwili at 3 p.m. down at the harbor.

Miulang
                          Awesome. I wonder if people from any other islands would go to Kauai and join them. I love a good protest.

Comment

Amen to that, Joe. A-freakon-men!

Yeah, I'm thinking that the screen name should've been Star Of MADness.

Indeed. Everyone knows the best stuff is grown on the outer islands.

Funny! Very funny!
                            I guess the TRO because of slow paint striping will save the keiki.

"Nonviolent"? You consider the protesters attacks on innocent citizens and their property to be "nonviolent" peaceful protests?!?? HELLO?
                            You're ignoring stone cold FACTS. Again.
                            Yes, nonviolent. The surfers and canoeists and swimmers were obstructing the path of the ferry, but they were not brandishing guns or spears (maybe some signs on shore). They aim to be nonviolent. Any violence is the result of the Coast Guard and their attempts to use boat hooks to snag the people in the water. I'd rather they fought in the courts, but these people apparently feel that their backs are against the wall, and this is the only way they can think of to show their disagreement that makes any kind of statement. And the media is getting sucked right into their hands. And they only arrested 3 people out of the 250+ who were demonstrating on Sunday. And here are the "serious" crimes they were charged with (which, BTW, are all misdemeanors, not felonies):

According to Kaua'i Police Capt. Scott Yagihara, Justin Wood, 22, of Kapa'a, was arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct; Bomun Bockchung, 28, of Kilauea, on suspicion of harassment, obedience to police officers and obstructing government operations; and Randy Wolfshagen, 49, of Kekaha, on suspicion of obstructing government operations and criminal trespass in the second degree.
                            And now there are three "martyrs for their cause."

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; August 27, 2007, 08:54 PM.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

"Nonviolent"? You consider the protesters attacks on innocent citizens and their property to be "nonviolent" peaceful protests?!?? HELLO? You're ignoring stone cold FACTS. Again.
                              Yeah, when people start to block a boat from safely docking or attacking cars, that's considered violent.

Awesome. I wonder if people from any other islands would go to Kauai and join them. I love a good protest.
                              Um...but wouldn't they be bringing their drugs, traffic, invasive species to Kauai if they join them?

Comment

Shocking as it may seem, I agree with you. This is not a good sign.

State and Federal requirements? The same State that says we dont need an EIS and the Same Federation that had a US Coast Guard sailor manning a deck gun pointed at US Citizens last night? You mean those State and Federal requirements?
                                Do you know anything about anything? Manning the deck gun is SOP for the Coast Guard in any and every situation they encounter!
                                And since your beloved protesters have already attacked innocent civilians, why shouldn't the Coasties be prepared to defend themselves, even if it wasn't SOP (which it is)?
                                What a twit.

Comment

Working...
                                X