Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pat Robertson's take on Haiti

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    The Christian spirit of Father Damien was incredibly, deeply moving. Truly, a saint. This is what I think of when I think of the true Christian spirit, to help the afflicted, not to condemn.
    Well said K. I too visited Kalaupapa during the summer of 1967 and saw the results of his work there. Fr. Damien is justified to be honored in the highest ranks of the humanistic spirit. Father Damien is my kind of Christian, a person who sets a good example for all of us.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I had the very good fortune to visit Kalaupapa a few years ago. The Christian spirit of Father Damien was incredibly, deeply moving. Truly, a saint. This is what I think of when I think of the true Christian spirit, to help the afflicted, not to condemn them like Robertson does, especially for his own personal financial gain.
      Exactly. As they say, those who can't do, preach teach!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I had the very good fortune to visit Kalaupapa a few years ago. The Christian spirit of Father Damien was incredibly, deeply moving. Truly, a saint. This is what I think of when I think of the true Christian spirit, to help the afflicted, not to condemn them like Robertson does, especially for his own personal financial gain.
        This is the part I don't get. How did Pat Robertson condemn Haiti???...
        Did Robertson call upon the earthquake to execute judgment on Haiti? I mean, C'mon! The man simply expressed his belief that they were struck by calamity because of their demonic practices and a long standing covenant with the devil. I have heard first hand accounts of voodoo and witchcraft practices in Haiti, and man, it's baaaad.

I posed a question earlier regarding Buddhist and Hindu philosophy of karma, to which no one responded. To me, that's a sign there's a double standard going on here. I just read this week's Midweek that Sharon Stone made statements that a previous earthquake in China was the direct result of China's policy on Tibet. You don't hear that in the news! Bunch of media hypocrites!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
          This is the part I don't get. How did Pat Robertson condemn Haiti???...I just read this week's Midweek that Sharon Stone made statements that a previous earthquake in China was the direct result of China's policy on Tibet. You don't hear that in the news! Bunch of media hypocrites!!!
          Bob, you didn't read far enough. Here you go: Sharon Stone apologizes for comments. Perhaps a little quick to condemn, especially since you only read half the story?

Sharon Stone also contributed to Chinese earthquake relief. I wonder how much Robertson contributed to Haiti relief?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I just read this week's Midweek that Sharon Stone made statements that a previous earthquake in China was the direct result of China's policy on Tibet. You don't hear that in the news! Bunch of media hypocrites!!!
            Your reading tends to be rather selective, Bob. Not only was it all over the media when it happened in 2008, but it was even the topic of an HT thread.

Comment

There is a former NBA basketball player who wrote that he wouldn't donate for Haiti relief. I don't remember his name because I never heard of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                There is a former NBA basketball player who wrote that he wouldn't donate for Haiti relief. I don't remember his name because I never heard of him.
                That would be the "bricklayer", Paul Shirley.

Comment

Way off! The only saints that amounted to more than a hill of beans are those who turned people from their evil ways, moved them to repent and amend to the path of the Lord. You're making out the 'BTW' portion of the original Ministry to have been the primary focus, which, of course, it was not. "'Oooooh, he heals and comforts, never been a man like Him before, eh?', 'Nope, that's women's work!'" (Sounds like something I could have heard on The Simpsons )
                  Last edited by salmoned; January 28, 2010, 07:49 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Translation please...

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    Way off! The only saints that amounted to more than a hill of beans are those who turned people from their evil ways, moved them to repent and amend to the path of the Lord. You're making out the 'BTW' portion of the original Ministry to have been the primary focus, which, of course, it was not. "'Oooooh, he heals and comforts, never been a man like Him before, eh?', 'Nope, that's women's work!'" (Sounds like something I could have heard on The Simpsons )
                    Anybody else not understand that?
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      Bob, you didn't read far enough. Here you go: Sharon Stone apologizes for comments. Perhaps a little quick to condemn, especially since you only read half the story?

Sharon Stone also contributed to Chinese earthquake relief. I wonder how much Robertson contributed to Haiti relief?
                      Apologies mean squat, especially when it comes from a declining Hollywood actress trying to preserve her movie career. Same goes for politicians shedding tears for their infidelities. Sharon Stone said it out of spite. Pat Robertson has no reason to be spiteful of Haiti. The main message of Christianity is repentance. Totally different motives here. Any Christian that doesn't speak out against the sins of a country or nation is not what they profess to be.

I wouldn't be so quick to compare Robertson to Stone. Robertson's 700 Club has donated many millions to relief causes. That's what they do. It's unfortunate, however, that Robertson makes millions too. I don't have the facts on how that happens or what he donates personally, so I won't go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Your reading tends to be rather selective, Bob. Not only was it all over the media when it happened in 2008, but it was even the topic of an HT thread.
                        In that case, I stand corrected. But still, the story on Stone wasn't nearly a big splash as Robertson's. Robertson is a religious figure, so it would seem that he has more justification in speaking his mind, if not a moral obligation.

Can you imagine Jesus or Moses being afraid of what people thought of them...?
                        Last edited by Bobinator; January 28, 2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

"All the missionaries staying in the local pastor's home were safe, but a neighboring home claimed every life inside."

http://www.northjersey.com/news/inte...ng_Jesus_.html

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to compare Robertson to Stone.
                            Then why did you bring Sharon Stone into this discussion in the first place?
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Interesting you bring that up.

The Bible talks about God striking people with leprosy for bad things they have done. This would include Miriam (the sister of Moses) for murmurring, Gehazi (the servant of Elisha) for deceit, and King Uzziah for being presumptuous.

If Father Damien had the same attitude that Pat Robertson had, he likewise would have condemned each of the lepers on Molokai as having committed sins against God, just like those Biblical figures.

But Damien didn't see it that way, and as far as I know, he never said that the lepers suffered their diseases as some sort of divine retribution. He just helped the lepers without questioning or interrogating them. He had enough sense and compassion to know that not every disease is contracted because someone has committed a sin against God. Too bad that Robertson didn't have the same sense and compassion to know that not every instance of natural disaster is just cause for anyone to speculate that the victims are getting their just desserts from God.

120 years after his death, Damien's legacy is all but ensured. Time will tell if future generations have even a tiny fraction of admiration for Robertson that they'll hold for Damien.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 28, 2010, 11:01 AM.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Translation please...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                Anybody else not understand that?
                                He is filled with the holy spirit and "speaking in tongues." Since we are not filled with the holy spirit, we have no idea what he just said. Maybe Bob can translate for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X