Plastic Bag Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plastic Bag Ban

Globally plastic bags have been banned in many countries. Hawaii was the first state in the United States to ban plastic bags in May 2012.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/plas...sing-law-suits

The county law bans non-biodegradable plastic bags at checkout as well as paper bags that are not at least 40 percent recycled. Retailers in Honolulu County have until July 1, 2015, to make the change. Kauai and Maui counties already enforce bans, while Hawaii County's ban takes effect on Jan. 17, 2013.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-checkout?lite
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=238121501

Oahu will be last to have a plastic bag ban until 2015.

Comment

Strict bag control now!!!
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

New bill could delay Oahu’s plastic bag ban

Starting in July 2015, Oahu businesses will no longer be allowed to offer non-biodegradable plastic bags to customers. But a new bill at the Honolulu City Council wants to take it a step further by banning all plastic bags.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
            I'm not a fan of the ban. I prefer incentives for bringing your own bag, like Foodland does. Whenever you outright ban things, people are going to be disgruntled. Myself, I use plastic grocery bags as garbage bags. I'm going to be annoyed if I have to start buying trash bags. And sorry, I'll only buy biodegradable if it's the same price as non biodegradable. One of the biggest barriers to enviromentally friendly products is the price. Even if it's a few cents more, those few cents add up. I've learned to survive by making every penny count.
            Exactly my sentiments on this "ban". It is bad for business and bad for consumers as most environmental laws are.

As a result since the ban was first announced, I have made sure that I get EVERYTHING in a plastic bag, and have since stockpiled a large collection for use after the ban goes into effect to empty my trash. I don't want to buy trash bags when the plastic bags are "free" every time you shop.

This is just another way that environmentalism is taken to the extreme at the expense and convenience of consumers.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              As a result since the ban was first announced, I have made sure that I get EVERYTHING in a plastic bag, and have since stockpiled a large collection for use after the ban goes into effect to empty my trash. I don't want to buy trash bags when the plastic bags are "free" every time you shop
              I use the Longs' plastic bags first because those feels thinner and less sturdy than other supermarket plastic bags.

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/categor...autoStart=true

BYOC: Bring Your Own Container

Comment

http://www.kitv.com/news/Oahu-s-bag-...tutes/33496584

The countdown.

Comment

Last Call!

Comment

In the late 80s, when the local stores all shifted from paper to plastic (remember when they'd give you a choice?), I always asked for paper. I liked paper. It worked for me.

Now that I'm forced to go to paper from plastic, I realize how much more convenient plastic is, especially for those of us walking home from the store or (worse) riding a bus home. Without those convenient handles for sticking your arms through, you're severely limited in how many bags you can carry.

I've seen that some stores are using paper bags with paper handles, kind of shopping-bag looking things that are an improvement, but in some places, paper is a decided disadvantage.

I won't go as far as Mel and say that this is a bad law, but it is going to take some huge adjusting.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Good: Better for the environment (which is of huge importance)

Bad: No more stash of free plastic liners for:
                        the bathroom rubbish can
                        wet swimsuits
                        shoes packed in luggage
                        handy carrying bag when headed to the beach
                        bag to use when cleaning rubbish off the car floor
                        containment of messy kitchen stuff like discarded chicken packaging

None of the "bad" is of more importance than the environment, so I figure a little inconvenience is worth it. To me, having a problem about the idea of limiting plastic bags is just another indication of our spoiled lifestyles.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Good for picking up dog doo.

Comment

I wasn't complaining about the inconvenience; I was merely noting how I never thought about how much more convenient plastic bags are until I no longer had them.

I am between cars now (I destroyed my last car in a stupid accident last Labor Day), and the walk from the nearest market to my house is about three quarters of a mile up a steep hill (Kam Shopping Center to upper Kapalama). Lugging armsful of paper bags up that hill means more trips with fewer items in each trip, and while I know that using reusable bags can mitigate that, it's also an inconvenience to pack those in the morning, and carry them around all day until it's time to make that trek up the hill at the end of the workday.

I'm not opposed to the new law. But I would like it to be evaluated in several years to see if its intended results come to fruition.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have accumulated a huge pile of plastic bags and will take 2 or 3 shopping with me and just get them refilled when I buy groceries. Like Scrivener above, plastic has and is convenient for those who walk to and from their nearby grocery store. When I have to go to other stores with my car I'll just keep my roll away cart in the trunk, load stuff in a shopping cart without any bag and dump them in the cart. I'll also carry a supply of plastic bags in the car too.

I have never ever thrown a plastic bag in the ocean or on the road. I've kept all of my plastic bags, especially over the past 3 years, mainly to use as garbage bags (why buy garbage bags when stores were giving away free ones?). Throw the trash down the chute in my building, big green truck takes the crap away, no longer my problem.

I absolutely hate when environmental wackos take away our modern conveniences and increase our costs. That is why I dislike the new law very much.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                I absolutely hate when environmental wackos take away our modern conveniences and increase our costs. That is why I dislike the new law very much.
                                Respectfully I suggest, do your homework about plastic bags and the environment. Then weigh the value of the "modern convenience" of plastic grocery bags vs the environmental concerns, and revisit your priorities.

"Increase our costs"? How so?
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X