• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Local Ads That We HATE

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    [...]
    I HATE the Kaiser Permanente heavy breathing ads.[...]
    Hey, welcome back, WORN!
    Just curious, have you tried watching the Kaiser spot with the sound muted? I ask because the photography is beautiful. Interesting side note...while shot locally, that spot was not produced or directed locally. I've heard it either has or will air on the mainland, too. And, no, I wasn't involved!

Comment

• Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Apparently you didn't see the new follow-up commercial aired this week. Yes, they still look odd couple to me, but at least the girl admits she like the guy when she put her head on his shoulder at the end.
      At least they look alike even when they are of a different race.
      Is it a standard scenerio of a local commercial with a couple where the guy is p-whipped? There was another local commercial a little while ago with a high school couple, and the guy is being dragged all over Ala Moana Center. The only place that he likes is McDonalds.

Comment

One that keeps popping up because of the Medicare open enrollment period is the HMSA one with the grandkid that brings in the grandma's mail (gee you have a lot of mail grandma). Its an ok commercial and usually I like the HMSA commercials, but this one irks me because of the bad acting. The speaking sounds so slow and rehearsed, like they're just saying the words. Reminded me of watching my daughter's high school rendition of Romeo and Juliet.

Comment

The commercials I don't like are the ones for the Cab.

Time Warner ones ~ especially the one where the lady moved in with the guy to save money because of his cable plan.

Bank of Hawaii ~ Bank Ohana

There are others but those are the ones that pop into my head now.

Comment

Originally posted by almond mocha View Post
            [...]but this one irks me because of the bad acting. The speaking sounds so slow and rehearsed, like they're just saying the words.[...]
            This will be redundant info for a lot of HTers but it might need repeating...

Hawaii is not blessed with more than a handful or 2 of trained, professional actors. The majority of the local spots you see employ what we call "real people". Many of the pros belong to the Screen Actors Guild. A high majority of local commercials are non-union and cannot employ SAG actors so potential talent must be pulled from outside the acting ranks. As one illustrious HTer would say...I hope this helps with your thoughts!

Comment

I find the commercial for Oceanic Home Phone Service to be unintentionaly funny of the mismatched couple with the effeminate actor playing the leading man.
              It takes me back to the innocent small kid days when I didn't know and wouldn't laugh at Gomer Pyle having a girlfriend. Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reily just being men with a quick wit. SNL just had a bit spoofing the cartoon character Snagapuss. Those cartoon characters had subtle adult material. Oh, I just remembered that the third replacement for Curly of The Three Stooges was Curly Joe. His slapstick hit was limp-wristed.
              Last edited by Walkoff Balk; November 18, 2008, 09:54 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                It takes me back to the innocent small kid days when I didn't know and wouldn't laugh at Gomer Pyle having a girlfriend. Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reily just being men with a quick wit.
                It's sometimes hard to say. I mean, if one didn't know that Jonathan Harris (who played Dr. Smith in Lost In Space) was married and had children, you would have sworn that guy was a fruit. Same goes for Tony Randall. They both had effeminate personas on the screen. But that didn't automatically mean they were gay in real life.

I'll tell ya' what threw me off. It was finding out the truth about brawny actors like Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, and George Maharis. Let's not forget about Robert Reed who, ironically enough as Mike Brady, played the first TV dad who slept in the same bed with his TV mom counterpart. Little did anyone know at the time,....
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I find the commercial for Oceanic Home Phone Service to be unintentionaly funny of the mismatched couple with the effeminate actor playing the leading man.[...]
                  Possibly 'funny' wasn't unintentional?!
                  Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  [...]But that didn't automatically mean they were gay in real life.[...]
                  Very true. The Oceanic 'husband' and his real wife have both been thru my office!

BTW, the Oceanic 'wife' is Loretta Ables Sayre, currently Hawaii's gift to Broadway, appearing in South Pacific.

Comment

interesting. you all would consider him effeminate? Tough crowd here.
                    n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                      interesting. you all would consider him effeminate? Tough crowd here.
                      I agree! I consider the performance more theatrical (hence, more intentionally humorous) than effeminate.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I agree! I consider the performance more theatrical (hence, more intentionally humorous) than effeminate.
                        Let's face it. He's no Jack Lord.

I feel sorry for Loretta. She may be a Tony-nominated actress, but she will forever be known as the Oceanic mom. Time Warner is not paying her enough (i.e., she got shafted).
                        Last edited by Random; November 19, 2008, 05:45 PM.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Let's face it. He's no Jack Lord.

I feel sorry for Loretta. She may be a Tony-nominated actress, but she will forever be known as the Oceanic mom. Time Warner is not paying her enough (i.e., she got shafted).
                          Hmmm...possibly you're in a better position to know what Loretta was paid than I am! I have no idea, as that's between her agent and Oceanic, but I am the one who suggested that Oceanic lock her in before any other competitor did!

I've referenced Hawaii's acting pool a few times in the past. It's slim. By the time someone is bitten by the acting bug, takes some local classes and shows some promise, s/he moves to the mainland to further his/her career. That's not possible here. Actors who choose to stay in Hawaii are limited by the available roles.

No need to feel sorry for Loretta. At this point, it's absolutely fine that Loretta is known, locally, as the Oceanic mom. For quite awhile she was known for her role in the Harry and Myra Bankoh spots. Neither has/will hurt her. She's too good!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Possibly 'funny' wasn't unintentional?!

Very true. The Oceanic 'husband' and his real wife have both been thru my office!
                            I have three words.
                            Mister Liza Minnelli.

Comment

I have three words.
                              Mister Liza Minnelli.
                              And I have one word...
                              Acting!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                It's sometimes hard to say. I mean, if one didn't know that Jonathan Harris (who played Dr. Smith in Lost In Space) was married and had children, you would have sworn that guy was a fruit. Same goes for Tony Randall. They both had effeminate personas on the screen. But that didn't automatically mean they were gay in real life.
                                I thought Dom DeLuise might have been gay until his son Michael DeLuise was a regular on 21 Jump Street. Who became a bigger star, Grieco or Depp?

Comment

Working...
                                X