Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forgotten Songs from the 1970's and 1980's

Originally posted by helen View Post
    Picked up "Kung Fu Fighting" a year ago when I needed the song for a chapter in 2007's NaNoWriMo (it was the fight song that was playing when some guys where fighting zombies).

Long before KUNG FU FIGHTING, there was an obscure song KARATE, by the Bedwells, in 1963. The group had very little in their play-list, as the flip side was titled KARATE AGAIN and was the same tune. I never saw or heard another release from them.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
      Hmmm. That was in my collection many moons ago...was the b-side to Afternoon Delight, if I remember correctly! "Bout wore that little record out.
      "Afternoon Delight" was a #1 hit for the Starland Vocal Band.

"Moonlight Feels Right" was a top 10 hit for Starbuck.

Two different groups and records. Both hits in the summer of 1976.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        "Afternoon Delight" was a #1 hit for the Starland Vocal Band.

"Moonlight Feels Right" was a top 10 hit for Starbuck.

Two different groups and records. Both hits in the summer of 1976.
        the year is right, but the 45rpm record had a different band on each side; the Starbuck song was attached to something else I bought, if it wasn't Afternoon Delight.

Anyway, I haven't thought of those songs in many years. Thanks for the reminders!

Comment

Wow, great thread everybody. So many great memories just going through all the posts. I was in high school when MTV "hit" and remember so many of these songs from their endless early video airplay, as well as AM radio before then.

My wife is a HUGE Journey/Steve Perry fan (she proudly reminds me that she saw them in Honolulu several times in their prime, while I never got around to it even though they were a local band for me) and we went to their show last Fall (with the new singer - pretty good, btw). Better yet the opening bands were Cheap Trick and Heart. It was amazing how many songs I was singing along with even though I hadn't heard them in a decade or longer!

In the Bay Area we have a great rock station called KFOG (104.5 FM.) Best feature is "10 at 10", ten songs from one random year played back to back at 10am PST every weekday (and repeated at 10pm.) Each day includes the "Best of Set" determined by listeners calling in to vote. Best yet is the "10at 10" marathon on Saturday mornings where all five shows of the week are played in a row. Check it out and listen live online. Guarantee you'll get one of those "Oh yeah" moments at least once a day.

Today's show:

1/8/09 - Thursday! A quick trip to...1977!!!

1. Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
          2. Fleetwood Mac - Oh Daddy
          3. David Bowie - Heroes (BEST OF SET!!)
          4. Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Cher Cez La Femme
          5. Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle
          6. Santana - She's Not There
          7. Kansas - Point of Know Return
          8. Graham Parker and the Rumor - Hold Back the Night
          9. Stephen Bishop - Save it For a Rainy Day
          10. CSN - Just a Song Before I Go

BONUS TRACK: Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane - My Baby Gives it Away

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
            The Flirts - Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)
            Which group were more like the Pussycats Dolls of the 80's, The Flirts in 80's garb or Vanity 6 dressed in lingerie?

Comment

When "Afternoon Delight" first came out, I was much too young to know what they were really singing about. I just liked the song.

When I was a little older and received it in a box of hand-me-down 45s from an older cousin, I was shocked at how naughty it was. Women were singing about how anxious they were to get home and indulge in some "afternoon delight"! Scandalous! I was determined to find a girlfriend like that when I got older.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                the year is right, but the 45rpm record had a different band on each side; the Starbuck song was attached to something else I bought, if it wasn't Afternoon Delight.
                This was the A & B side to Starland Vocal Band's hit single:

1976 "Afternoon Delight" / "California Day" (Windsong Records GB-10943) Windsong 10588

Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right" was released on the Private Stock label. The record got to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Long before KUNG FU FIGHTING, there was an obscure song KARATE, by the Bedwells, in 1963. The group had very little in their play-list, as the flip side was titled KARATE AGAIN and was the same tune. I never saw or heard another release from them.
                  You can hear a clip here.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    You can hear a clip here.
                    Great find! That's the song. I have two copies of the 45 and have transferred the tune to several compilation CD-Rs.

Comment

Holy smokes. I clicked on a couple of the YouTube links above and I've now killed two hours watching one 20 year-old video after another! It's insidious how they put the "related videos" and "more from" right there where you can't help but click next!

Oh well, I didn't want to do any work this afternoon anyways...

Favorites so far:

The Tubes: Talk To Ya Later (My personal "Best of Set")
                      Aldo Nova (!): Monkey On Your Back
                      Martika: Toy Soldiers

OK gotta go find me some Loverboy!

Comment

Ran across this today....

Midnight at the Oasis - Maria Muldaur

Comment

"send you camel to bed" - I loved that song and had the LP. Thanks for
                          reminding me!

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                            When "Afternoon Delight" first came out, I was much too young to know what they were really singing about. I just liked the song.

When I was a little older and received it in a box of hand-me-down 45s from an older cousin, I was shocked at how naughty it was. Women were singing about how anxious they were to get home and indulge in some "afternoon delight"! Scandalous! I was determined to find a girlfriend like that when I got older.
                            In the mid '70s, I was in a broadcasting class in college. The instructor was the p.d. from the local top-40 station, and he was so proud that the record company sent him a gold record, for being the station in town that "broke" that song. (It was probably one of the few industry honors he ever got in our little media market.)

A few weeks later, he was talking about why he refused to program "Squeezebox" by The Who, because of the suggestive subject matter of the lyrics. So I "gotcha"-ed him by reminding him about "Afternoon Delight."

He didn't like me after that. But I had a career in radio anyway.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right" was released on the Private Stock label. The record got to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.
                            I saw the band live in concert - I was impressed by how many keyboard (and marimba!) players were in the band. I still have all three of their albums on vinyl (even though they had no other hits), as well as one album by their lead vocalist after Starbuck broke up.

Comment

Skyhigh=Jigsaw
                              Last Farewell=Roger Whitaker
                              Music Box Dancer=Frank Mills
                              I Never Cry=Alice Cooper

Used to run into Alice and his kids in Phoenix all of the time as they lived in my neighborhood, his kids ended up going to my high school as well. They frequented the McDonalds just down the street from us which is still there.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post

The Tubes: Talk To Ya Later (My personal "Best of Set")
                                I enjoyed The Tubes' appearance on SCTV. This show had the musical guests act in skits.

Comment

Working...
                                X