Mac vs PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mac vs PC

Interesting point from Beachboy I'd wondered about. Yes — wouldn't games be better on a dedicated games platform, like WII or PlayStation? Buying a computer just to play games seems like overkill.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      Interesting point from Beachboy I'd wondered about. Yes — wouldn't games be better on a dedicated games platform, like WII or PlayStation? Buying a computer just to play games seems like overkill.
      Depends. I like the fact that console games, once released are pretty much solid and not choked with bugs (every exception to the rule, and I can name a few).

However, I love the fact that I can modify many of my PC games. Take Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, for example. I believe you can download and install the official mods on an Xbox, but you can't install any of the user made mods that have been cropping up ever since the game launched. With my PC version of Oblivion, I can get new weapon, armor and character model textures. I can add new towns, NPCs, quests. Teams of people even create Total Conversion mods where they use the base system of Oblivion but create their own worlds.

Recently, a friend of mine was excited over the fact that he was able to download two new maps for Halo 2 for Xbox. But they costed him two bucks a map. Chump change, yeah? There's lots of First Person Shooter games for the PC that folks have created maps themselves. Even game development companies have created new maps and the PC gamers can download them for free.

I like console gaming but presently, even with PS3 and Xbox 360, PC games have the potential for being better in terms of longevity and easy to enhance, both by the developers as well as the fan base. And visuals and sounds are very spectacular in their own right in PC games. F.E.A.R. is a good example. Not only in its visuals and sound effects but also that it's a good game, which can both be extended by multiplayer options and an expansion. The official expansion is anywhere from $30-40. Console games can't be expanded on, yet.

There are many advantages to PC gaming and none of them are the latest rendition of Solitaire or Mine Sweeper. :P

If someone (like me) bought a PC just to play games, they should get the best they can afford. But if games, or video/audio editing for that matter, isn't really an issue, it shouldn't matter which platform you buy. Just get something you like and would meet your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
        Also, today Macs don't really cost more than PC's. That tends to be something of the past.
        Uh, please refer to post #65. As I understand, the Mac mini does not come with a monitor nor keyboard nor mouse. Want an Apple mouse and keyboard, $49 + $29. Apple 20" monitor, $599. So...$599 + $49 + $29 + $599 = $1276. Even if I upgraded the quoted Dell package with a 20" monitor so it's even with the Apple, it's $779. We still haven't matched up the RAM, HD size, and the DVD drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
          Nikki, you'd be doing yourself a favor picking up a Mac! Online support groups for Macs are boundless. On the other hand there is hardly any for the PC on the internet.
          Plus, like someone else noted. You are virtually cruising the internet ten minutes out of the box with a Mac. I think Apple spend twice as much money than any other computer companies in R & D aspect of the business. This means a good consumer product for the end user. I can't even begin to right down all the things Apple has done for the computing world. They were the first with just about everything cool with computers.

Now with the Intel Macs you can run Windows, Linux Operating systems too on your Mac. Blue screen of death....not on a Mac. They last longer than any other PC on the market.

Also, today Macs don't really cost more than PC's. That tends to be something of the past. As for software, sure there is more software on a PC. Apple doesn't feel the need to offer up 10 different versions of Solitaire to it's user base. I hear a lot of people say,"there isn't enough games on the Mac platform". Besides, that's what "Game Consoles are for,right?

Nikki, if you gotta ask which is better for you. Then a Mac is your ticket for many reasons. Plus their new OS will be coming out at the end of summer! I mean Apple's OS is so awesome Windows tends to copy Apple's OS more than not.

Get yourself a white MacBook, you'll never suffer buyer's remorse!!!!
          Nikki don't listen to Beachboy...he drives a Honda Element, and you know people that drive Elements... Actually there are a ton of PC support groups as well as tech forums out there for PC's (cuz we need em).

I'll tell you the real reason why I'm a PC'er: Building PC's is a hobby of mine and I love hitting the thrift shops and picking up an old Pentium II or III, gutting it out and building a decent internet computer for people who couldn't afford a computer (less a Mac). You can do this with PC's. Take an old PCI graphics card and couple it with a Pentium I running MMX technology and 256Mb of ram, toss in a Linux-based OS and viola you're cruising the internet from spare parts.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 2, 2007, 09:50 PM.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You can Frankenstein together a Mac blue-and-white into a most excellent machine for less than $200. I've done several.
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Uh, please refer to post #65. As I understand, the Mac mini does not come with a monitor nor keyboard nor mouse. Want an Apple mouse and keyboard, $49 + $29. Apple 20" monitor, $599. So...$599 + $49 + $29 + $599 = $1276. Even if I upgraded the quoted Dell package with a 20" monitor so it's even with the Apple, it's $779. We still haven't matched up the RAM, HD size, and the DVD drive.
              One of the demographic groups the Mac Mini is targeted for are current PC owners. The Mac Mini will take your PC keyboard and your PC monitor. All you do is buy the Mac Mini and plug in those components if you already have them.
              Last edited by mel; May 3, 2007, 06:09 AM. Reason: added link
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I bought a mac mini for $499 plus a keyboard and LCD monitor for a total of $200. So for $700 I had a great little computer.
                Attached Files
                Brad White
                sigpic
                http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

• Re: mac vs pc

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

awww man dat was HILARIOUS!

I loved Jobs plops down a House like figure and Gates asks what that?
                  Jobs sez its a iHouse!
                  Gates: A iHouse? But theres No Windows?

classic

And Window Media Clips aka WMV are watchable on Mac now........ woooo hooo!
                  Last edited by DannyWilliams; May 3, 2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

You too can be a special and unique snowflake and buy a Mac. Mac fanatics scare me. That being said, once I can afford it, I want to buy a macbook. I took some olelo classes awhile ago, and would like to practice iMovie. In a previous life I was a commercial arts major, now I fix PC's, go figure. If creative==mac, I guess we'll see.

In my experience as a computer tech, Compaq's were the crappiest PC's. Since the merger, that includes HP too. I recommend Dells to people who dont want to pay much for good product.

---
                    Isnt the advent of virii on Mac's because of the changeover to Intel chips?
                    IMO, Vista is unnessary. In fact, I think for most peoples needs win95 would be fine. Most people use their PC for email and internet. Maybe solitaire. Which reminds me, I should go try out ubuntu.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20..._pc_south.html

Mac vs. PC parody South Park Style.
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        Consoles have their uses, but for hardcore gamers, its all about the PC. Consider it like vehicles. You could get along with a bicycle or hyundai (consoles, in this example) or you could roar along with a fine tuned Ferrari (high end PC).
                        I have a xbox 360, nintendo DS, PSP, and a PC that I just upgraded the CPU (AMD price slash=awesome, $95 CPU for a dual core!), bought the 2nd best video card out there ($380 for a 8800 640mb).
                        What I'm trying to say is it depends on your level of gaming enthusiasm. Solitaire? buy a pack of cards $3.

also, i dont only play games on my pc - i use it for everything. photoediting, videoediting, videos, music...
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

For those with environmental concerns, here's some green reasons to buy a Mac.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
                            I bought a mac mini for $499 plus a keyboard and LCD monitor for a total of $200. So for $700 I had a great little computer.
                            True, you can further reduce the cost but if you're buying an all Apple product, including Apple brand monitor and accessories, there is no truth to claims that the price of an Apple is comparable to a PC. PCs have a whole lot of faults but pricing is one of its strong points.

Comment

If Apples cost twice as much but last twice as long....
                              Burl Burlingame
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It's a slight tangent, but does anyone remember Power Computing back in the 90s? They were an Apple licensee specializing in building breathed-on systems around Mac's Moto guts. Pretty impressive for the time. Similar concept to what Alienware now does with Wintel.
                                "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                                X