King's Hawaiian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King's Hawaiian

oh man, I finally got myself down to King's Hawaiian Bakery and Restaurant in Torrance, and it was exactly the fix I needed. It wasn't the best Hawaiian food, but then I'm easy to please. In Honolulu I used to get my fix at the Poi Bowl in Ala Moana, that's how easy to please I am.

Anyway, the one thing I really missed was poi. I had kalua pig with rice and lomi salmon, but I had forgotten how fatty the pork could be. It really needed the acidity of poi to cut the greasyness. But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.

So, yeah.
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Re: King's Hawaiian

Y'know...I've been wanting to go to Kings for a while now, but have still yet to. Is it worth the drive ? I live about a good 45 min from there, but I don't mind driving. How's the inside of the place? Island Style?

I know the sweet bread is good.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
      But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.
      It ain't cheap, but you can get it. There are several sources in the Seattle area, so you should have even better luck in SoCal.

It's a little too costly for most restaurants to stock regularly, though. But there are stores where you can buy it in bags - good for big events, lu`au, `ohana gatherings, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.
        I can usually find poi at Marukai in Gardena. It's not as good as the poi at my local KTA, but it's still poi.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.So, yeah.
          You can still find poi here but you wont find a Kings Bakery anymore, how sad.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            You can still find poi here but you wont find a Kings Bakery anymore, how sad.

NO WAY. That blows! I used to go there on field trips when I was a kid.
            "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              Y'know...I've been wanting to go to Kings for a while now, but have still yet to. Is it worth the drive ? I live about a good 45 min from there, but I don't mind driving. How's the inside of the place? Island Style?

I know the sweet bread is good.
              I guess you could call it tiki style. I wasn't really looking at the decor, I was concentrating on the food!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
                I can usually find poi at Marukai in Gardena. It's not as good as the poi at my local KTA, but it's still poi.
                I'll check it out then. I've heard a lot about Marukai, but avoided it because it's so far away and requires membership. But poi might make it worth it.

Comment

NO WAY. That blows! I used to go there on field trips when I was a kid.
                  Been that way for at least a decade... maybe 15 years now?

I guess you could call it tiki style.
                  Which is to say there's nothing truly Hawaiian about the place. It's a mainland representation that's just as tacky as it's expected to be. Nothing like the coffee shop decor that made the originals a favorite here.

And yes, I've eaten at King's Hawaiian a number of times. And I grew up eating at King's Bakery.

I'll check it out then. I've heard a lot about Marukai, but avoided it because it's so far away and requires membership. But poi might make it worth it.
                  There's more than just poi at Marukai... you'll find the membership fee is worth it. You sure you can't find island-style food closer to home?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                    Been that way for at least a decade... maybe 15 years now?
                    ah. I've been gone twenty years this September.

There's more than just poi at Marukai... you'll find the membership fee is worth it. You sure you can't find island-style food closer to home?
                    There's a Mitsuwa market close by where I get Royal Cream crackers, guava jelly and assorted Japanese things, but no place to get fresh Hawaiian food. I've looked!

Comment

I bought stuff at Marukai in Costa Mesa, and I don't have a membership.
                      Are you sure you need a membership there ?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                        I bought stuff at Marukai in Costa Mesa, and I don't have a membership.
                        Are you sure you need a membership there ?
                        I read it in a blog somewhere, but I may be thinking of something else. I'll look into it.

Comment

Don't know about Costa Mesa, but when I used to visit the Gardena store, you needed a membership.

I found this pretty quick via a Google search.

Comment

Don't know about Costa Mesa, but when I used to visit the Gardena store, you needed a membership.

I found this pretty quick via a Google search.

Wow...strange. I bought stuff I swear ! They have an L&L in there too, that was closed because it was Labor Day Weekend. I only bought some Mauna Loa Candy (ToffeeMac Nut Chocolate thingys) , but I didn't get asked for a membership.

I go to the one in Little Tokyo quite a bit. Great store !

I wonder why you'd need a membership anyway.

Comment

oh man, I finally got myself down to King's Hawaiian Bakery and Restaurant in Torrance, and it was exactly the fix I needed. It wasn't the best Hawaiian food, but then I'm easy to please. In Honolulu I used to get my fix at the Poi Bowl in Ala Moana, that's how easy to please I am.

Anyway, the one thing I really missed was poi. I had kalua pig with rice and lomi salmon, but I had forgotten how fatty the pork could be. It really needed the acidity of poi to cut the greasyness. But since it sounds like you can't even get poi in Hawaii anymore, I guess finding it on the mainland is out of the question.

So, yeah.
                              Aloha Modpirate...

If you like a quick fix also try King's Hawaiian "Local Place," located off the 405 frwy. They have the bakery and take out menu, and daily specials. They even have oxtail soup on Sundays.

Comment

Working...
                              X