X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post

For the uneducumatables, I tell them, you ever see Isreal Kamakawiwaole? Have you ever seen Duke Kahanamoku? If they say yes, I say, that is a Hawaiian, not all the immigrants you see running around the islands today. If they don't recognize those names I say, "Have you ever seen a Samoan?" They all say yes. Then I say, that's kind of what a Hawaiian looks like, only Hawaiians are better looking. I add in Hawaiians are Polynesians, not Asians.

Come on bro...take a look at the old historical photographs. I see my brothers and sisters....Hawaiians are just a beautiful as the Samoans.

As for Filipina's, I agree, they age very well and tend to look 10 years younger than they are up to a certain age. But have you ever noticed that most 60 year old filipinos look just as old as any other race 60 year old? What happened? When did they change? That means that they look great right up to about 50 and then, WHAM, father time seems to catch up fast. Just what I've noticed.
    Ive noticed that too. WHAM+some!!!! *i joke i joke*

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
      Come on bro...take a look at the old historical photographs. I see my brothers and sisters....Hawaiians are just a beautiful as the Samoans.

Kalamai brah. But its true. Hawaiians are beautiful people. Check out the portraits of da Kings. Hansome buggahz. Too bad almost extinct. I can only say that cuz this is an anonymous internet board so da sole's can't kick my okole. But I think even da sole's admit, Hawaiians are bettah looking. But eh, no huhu, Samoans are better looking than da Fijians. Something wid da afro.

Comment

Kalamai brah. But its true. Hawaiians are beautiful people. Check out the portraits of da Kings. Hansome buggahz. Too bad almost extinct. I can only say that cuz this is an anonymous internet board so da sole's can't kick my okole. But I think even da sole's admit, Hawaiians are bettah looking. But eh, no huhu, Samoans are better looking than da Fijians. Something wid da afro.
        Why you got to bring up the Fijians? Don't forget Hawaiians have Melanesian koko in them too.
        But yah, ive seen some historical photos of some fine Hawaiian wahine. *not those stupid postcards*
        And don't fall for that stereotypical Samoan look in the u.s. We come in all different shapes,sizes, and shades of brown. That western diet is no good for us island folk.

Portrait of Queen Kapuolani

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04884900.jpg

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04902700.jpg

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04901600.jpg

http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/oceania/04924100.jpg
        Last edited by PoiBoy; March 11, 2007, 11:42 PM.

Comment

At the world famous Triple Crown surf meets on the North Shore of Oahu, when the commentator is commenting on the surf action for the crowd, the usually caucasian and sometimes hispanic/brazilian announcers almost always refer to all the Hawaii boys as "Hawaiians" whether or not they have native blood. They'll say like, "Hawaiian Shane Dorian with a nice tube ride!"

I think the only Sunny Garcia, Fred Patacchia maybe? Kekoa Bacalso? Joel Centeio? Probably have Kanaka blood. I forgot Makua Rothman is most definitely kanaka.

Is this about being politically-correct again?! Sheesh

PS--Kamuelakea and PoiBoy, das uns wat U said about Samoans and Filipinos. Cyn, you got a CRAZY bloodline! (Crazy as in COOL!) Aloha.
          Last edited by Kahalu'u Kid; March 12, 2007, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
            I forgot Makua Rothman is most definitely kanaka.
            :::Musing, smiling, sighing, giggling, rolling eyes:::

Hapa-Hasidic? Kanaka-conservative? Shalom aleichem and aloha nui loa?

You just have to laugh, sometimes...

Happy Pesach to all the Rothmans of Hawaii!

No, I am not Jewish, but I grew up in a TRUE melting pot. If nothing else, it makes me more prone to giggling at such inanity.
            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; March 12, 2007, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I'm assuming that you are 100% japanese. I can do that based upon the fact that AJA's didn't start out marrying until the last 25 years or so.

I am assuming that your wife is not 100% Hawaiian since there are only 1000 or so left.

So if your kids say they are races X, Y, X and Hawaiian, that's not lying or stealing. If your kids say they are Hawaiian (only), then they are being less than accurate and in my opinion, disrespectful to their other ancestor's ethnicities, if there are others.
              So this man who corrected his "Hawaiian Wahine" friend was accurate if both of them really were of mixed ethnicity right?

100% Hawaiian...there was a time when that meant Kanaka Maoli. Too bad for the Trask sisters, they don't count I guess...you know being only part Hawaiian.

Now that first statement about AJA's not starting out marrying until the last 25 years or so. Hah?

Better stop assuming cuz that just don't sound right, either that or pass whatever you're smoking. That statement would mean all AJA's 25-years and older are bastards and that's a lot of em.

But Kamuelakea, you're right...it is just your opinion so I'll respect that regardless of mine.
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 12, 2007, 01:51 AM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                And don't fall for that stereotypical Samoan look in the u.s. We come in all different shapes,sizes, and shades of brown. That western diet is no good for us island folk.

Samoan: Exhibit A http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ff...-tuiavii,0.jpg

Fijian: Exhibit B

http://www.justpacific.com/fiji/fiji...cal-fijian.jpg

Hawaiian: Exhibit C

http://www.exit50.com/images/April2005/_dukesurfer.jpg

As a group, polynesians are all the most beautiful race on Earth. But you gotta admit, Hawaiians da mos handsome.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                  Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  What about an Indian from India living in America and when approached about his/her background, replies, "I'm Indian."
                  I saw a newswoman add to this very response, "Dot, not feather". Too funny.
                  When asked about their backgrounds, my nephews often respond, "Hawaiian, poi kine, not Spam kine."

I'm glad that the mo'olelo of Haloa and the origin of kalo stuck with them.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Now that first statement about AJA's not starting out marrying until the last 25 years or so. Hah?
                    First start with more distant history;

http://www.expo98.msu.edu/people/Phelan.htm

This is from an essay written in 1921. Probably driven by racism to some extent but the description of Japanese in Hawaii pretty accurate for the time.

The Japanese began migrating to Hawaii in 1885. During all this time Hawaii has maintained a compulsory school-system modeled upon the American system. If there is any evidence of the Japanese having become Americanized, it is yet to be discovered. They do not associate with white people to any extent, nor do the white people show any disposition to associate with them.

Some of the factors against the Americanization of the Japanese—if such a thing is possible under any conditions—have been the maintenance, by the Japanese, of their own schools and the support of religious organizations and Japanese vernacular newspapers. These schools, newspapers, and churches have exercised a most potent influence upon the Japanese, and they have always taught, written, and preached loyalty to Japan and reverence to her institutions and culture. All Japanese children attend the Japanese language schools, which are conducted by Japanese teachers sent out from Japan. It is true that the legislature of Hawaii recently undertook partially to control these schools; but it failed.

And yet, how many marriages have there been between the Japanese and other races? It is safe to say that they can be counted on the fingers of both hands.

Comment

Better stop assuming cuz that just don't sound right, either that or pass whatever you're smoking.
                      From the Encyclopedia Brittania
                      http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Hawaii

In early days a limited number of Chinese settled in the islands, intermarried with the natives and by their industry and economy generally prospered. About 750 of them were naturalized under the monarchy. The consent of the Japanese government to the immigration of its subjects to Hawaii was obtained with difficulty in 1884, and in 1886 a labour convention was ratified. Subsequently the increase of the Japanese element in the population was rapid. It rose from 116 in 1884 to 12,360 in 1890 and 24,400 in 1896. Most of these were recruited from the lowest classes in Japan. Unlike the Chinese, they show no inclination to intermarry with the Hawaiians.

Comment

Now for something more recent. "Immigration The living mosaic of people, culture and hope"

http://library.thinkquest.org/20619/Japanese.html

Along with this economic progress came acculturation and social acceptance, including rising rates of intermarriage; by 1980, three-quarters of all Japanese Americans spoke only English.
                        Now I have heard that Japanese have one of the highest "out-marrying" rates of all Asians, but that is on the mainland, not Hawaii.

Anyway, no need studies, just look around.

Comment

Now for something more recent. "Immigration The living mosaic of people, culture and hope"

Now I have heard that Japanese have one of the highest "out-marrying" rates of all Asians, but that is on the mainland, not Hawaii.

I read somewhere that close to 70% of American women of Japanese ancestry marry "white" guys.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

From the Encyclopedia Brittania
                              http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Hawaii

You simply aren't looking around. Again. Look at your graduating class or anywhere else in Hawaii. The number of part-chinese/part-haole/part-hawaiians/part-portuguese each outnumber the amount of part-Japanese 1000 to one.

You don't know Hawaii and especially Hawaii's recent history. It is a fact that Hawaii's Japanese married out the least (of the large ethnic groups) from when they arrived until recently (maybe the 1980s) and probably on a percentage basis still marry out the least. Come on, this is so obvious, it isn't worth argueing about. If you don't see the differnce, you are blind to reality.

If I invite all of the Craig Watanabe's in Hawaii to a party, most, maybe even all, would be pure Japanese. That's just da facts honey gurl.

As for Filipina's, I agree, they age very well and tend to look 10 years younger than they are up to a certain age. But have you ever noticed that most 60 year old filipinos look just as old as any other race 60 year old? What happened? When did they change? That means that they look great right up to about 50 and then, WHAM, father time seems to catch up fast. Just what I've noticed.
                              "that's just the facts honeygurl"? and what's with your constant exhortations to craig and me to "look around?" is that the only sense you depend on, or have?

unless you are a blind misologist, you probably want to back pedal muuuuuch harder now than you did with your previous absolute statement re craig which later got watered down to "most" and then subsequently watered down even more in the post i quoted above.

here are some real, very recent, as well as hawaii-rspecific facts, to be compared to your "part-chinese/part-haole/part-hawaiians/part-portuguese each outnumber the amount of part-Japanese 1000 to one" "fact" and your "japanese didn't intermarry until the last 25 years" "fact" and your dependence on references which include website mostly referring to immigration via ellis island (the opposite side of the US) and (god help you--this one was so pathetic i almost took pity) an encyclopedia from the turn of the century:

according to the 2000 hawaii census, 285,006 chinese, and 380,821 filipinos identified themselves as chinese or filipino (respectively), mixed with one other race or more.

that same census states that 391,584 japanese identified themselves as being mixed with other races:

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/eco...e/chinese1.pdf

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/eco...e/filipino.pdf

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/eco...e/japanese.pdf

in other words, in 2000, there were nearly 107,000 more japanese of mixed ancestry in hawaii than chinese of mixed ancestry, and about 11,000 more japanese of mixed ancestry than filipinos of mixed ancestry in hawaii.

into the toilet goes your non-japanese ethnicities each intermarry more than japanese a "thousand to one" times assertion.

additionally, a 1986 study of intermarriage in hawaii from 1950 to 1983 (your "twenty five years ago" would be 1982, in case you forgot) showed "By ethnic group, the Japanese show the largest increase in intermarrige rates." in fact, the study also states that caucasian men were the least likely in that time period to intermarry.

http://www.popline.org/docs/0716/208420.html

into the toilet also goes your assertion that japanese in hawaii did not intermarry until about 25 years ago.

remember what i said earlier about you and your sight?

eric and i went shopping with mom for persian rugs. after about fifteen minutes of the three of us jumping around, barefoot, feeling pile, looking at the different rug patterns, the salesperson says to me, "it's good your mom took you along, because you need to like the rugs, too--they're an heirloom and your mom will pass them on to you someday." eric, mom and i had a good, slightly uncomfortable laugh, much to the salesperson's consternation.

why? cause the mom here was eric's mom, not mine, and eric and i aren't married. the salesperson's mistake was that he made an assumption, based on what he saw--eric's mom is of similar build and similar complexion to me. we're both about 4'11" and darker than eric, who towers over us and is more likely to pink than tan.

for every craig watanabe you see, who might look 100% japanese, i know at least one jason adaro, who looks 100% filipino but has a japanese mother and a filipino father.

you should hang out more with my filipina inangs--you know, the ones you say are sixty? they'd find you entertaining. firstly, it's likely they're actually eighty and would be tickled to hear you think they're twenty years younger. you could keep em laughing with your funny "facts" which are possibly true only when you turn them around by about 180 degrees. through the gift of laughter, you'd give those old ladies the crow's feet old age didn't.

************************************************** ********

to get back on topic, i don't think the waikele incident was a hate crime. the way the kid was raised, he learned that it was okay to attack those he could "take." if the haole husband was as imposing as olin kreutz, i doubt the kid would have gotten out of his dad's car. if the little 5'3" wife was, instead, of xena-esque proportions, she wouldn't have had to get out of her own car, either. the "f'n haole" part could have been "f'n b!tch," "f'n kotonk," or "f'n stupid driver."
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

"As for Filipina's, I agree, they age very well and tend to look 10 years younger than they are up to a certain age. But have you ever noticed that most 60 year old filipinos look just as old as any other race 60 year old? What happened? When did they change? That means that they look great right up to about 50 and then, WHAM, father time seems to catch up fast. Just what I've noticed."

OMG!!!! Wat am I to do? I 'm 51 years old!!!! It's already starting...NOT!

I totally disagree with the above comment. I dunno where you've been looking but I've been to the mother land as well as lived in Hawai'i all my Life and ALL Women no matter what race ages beautifully.

For Beauty is only skin deep as well as in the eyes of the beholder.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X