Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Group: SUMMER

Hi everyone,

Been looking high and low for this group in Hawaii. This group is named: SUMMER and I think they came out the same time as Kalapana did but, anyways, I would love to have copy of their only album self-titled: SUMMER.

I'm not too sure what year it came out but, I really appreciate if someone could point in the right direction to get this album/CD.

Thanks In Advance,

Mahalo You,

Likeke

Re: The Group: SUMMER

The "Summer" album originally issued on Abbatoir (same firm that released the first 3 Kalapana albums) is available on CD. I have it and got it not very long ago from Jelly's. The first (but not only) album came out in 1976.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think the 1993 CD reissue of their first album (isn't it called "Summer In Malibu"?) is now out-of-print. Guitarist/songwriter Charlie Recaido says they'd like to do nicely remastered reissues of their albums ("Weekend in Malibu" was a Japan-only release, and I believe there was a third that was never issued) someday, but the rights issues are a real mess. CD Universe claims they can get you a Japanese release of the first album on CD for over $35.

Summer had a reunion performance this past Saturday at Waikiki Shell, as part of Cecilio & Kapono's 35th Anniversary concert.

These days, Recaido is a recording engineer on Hawai`i Island, and a performing guitarist as a member of the trio Kohala. He's got a MySpace page at http://www.myspace.com/chasrecaidoproject. Really nice guy, too - we've done some work together in the past few years, and he has family near Seattle.

Comment

Pali worked with Charles Recaido for the 'Tribute' cd. They did Love Will Forget and Forest. There's a little history in the liner notes and mention about the "Summer in Malibu" re-release in Japan.

So the Japan trail is a good one to follow for now to get the CD.

Comment

Summer were really great at the Shell on Saturday night. I'd never heard of them before but all the groups that performed on Saturday night were AWESOME!

Watta line up! Watta concert! I hope C&K (and friends) do it all again soon!
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Last saw Summer in "Top A Da Shoppe" on Kapiolani Blvd., next door to KFC, small building. Top A Da Shoppe was on the 2nd floor, tiny little nightclub, band stuffed into a corner behind a tiny dance floor.

Da Shoppe was a record store on the first floor.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Photos from the gig here, courtesy the S-B's Jason Genegabus.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the kind response and the history about this group. I really like this group because they almost sound like the earlier Kalapana songs, yah. I, especially like the song "Forest" - that song is so beautiful!!

@ Mel, you think, you can rip'um ( @ 320k) and share with me or could I ablige a copy from you for a small fee, please?.... Please let me know. Whatevahs, with you it's cool wit, me.

@ Leo Lakio, those pictures really bring back alot of memories. You like know why? Even though it was just taken a couple of weeks or so. It's because of this group here:

AND NEXT POST!

Comment

CON'T

My heart goes out to "The Honolulu Boy Choir" Why?.. because I'm an ALUMNI and sang with The Honolulu Boy Choir, back in the 70's for 4-5 years, and I missed it very much. I've toured to California, Tahiti, Samoa, the outer islands and New York.The ORIGINAL director, Mr. Roy Hallman, has recently passed away this year, and I was very emotional when I heard that. He was my mentor back in the days and has thought all the ol' skool boy choir members including myself, the discipline and respect of growing up. I will never forget him. Although with the new directions of the group. The group will never be the same. Its all about the Originals that really made a name for itself and that's when the HONOLULU BOY CHOIR, was it's utmost peak in Hawaii and in the mainland itself. The 70's and mid 80's, is where it's at.
                  Last edited by Likeke; August 29, 2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    The "Summer" album originally issued on Abbatoir (same firm that released the first 3 Kalapana albums) is available on CD. I have it and got it not very long ago from Jelly's. The first (but not only) album came out in 1976.
                    I work with Summer member Tim Hurley. Russell Fujioka is a Gynecologist with Straub.

Comment

Hi!! it's me again

Anyone care to share both albums with me please? I've been waiting on 'mel' but, no answer.

Anyone.. please!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Go to Jelly's. Ask them if the CD is available. I bought mine which was not a Japanese pressing at Jelly's Kakaako for about $12 this past May. They also have the vinyl and cassette there.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh ok.. thanks.. I will call them up from the mainland.. see if they can ship a copy to me.

Thanks, man!

Comment

Shot this about 2 weeks ago at Jelly's Kakaako. On sale for $15.99. They have about a $2 discount on CDs costing more than $11.99.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Damn.

Lucky you live Hawai`i.

I want.

Comment

Working...
                              X