Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    When you start reading Sweet Valley High tho, Im gonna start to worry....
    I wasn't allowed to read those when my sisters had them b/c they were too "grown up" and by the time I was old enough, my sisters had gotten rid of them. But I have been adding to my Baby-Sitters Club collection! And if I can find them, Cherry Ames.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. I first read this classic sci-fi novel in the 70s. For some reason, over the last couple of years, I've been thinking about it, so it seems like a good excuse to re-read it.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
        But I have been adding to my Baby-Sitters Club collection!

I used to have a ton of Baby-Sitters Club books. I wish I could find them now, they were great quick reads.

Currently reading Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel. A teacher recommended it to me back in high school because they said my writing style was similar, and it's probably been that long since I've last read it.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

off topic but: I was watching "Clean House - Dirtiest House" episode yesterday. The woman was crying because she didn't want to sell all her B-S Club books. She finally gave in (of course - it's in the script ) but I had never heard of these books before & had no clue what she was talking about. Whatever they are - she had a whole closet full of them!

I guess it's an age thing

OK - back to the topic at hand.

I'm still reading "A Breath of Snow & Ashes" by Diana Gabaldon. but should be finishing it today & I'm sad because I really love her books.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just started The Shack by William P. Young.

Comment

Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's a brick of a book (1,050+ pages), but I figure I can read and exercise (weight lifting) at the same time.

I've always been fascinated by the theme of a group of people being cut off from the world--The Lord of the Flies by William Golding; The Plague by Albert Camus; and, of course, the TV series Lost, though the isolation there lasted only a few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's a brick of a book (1,050+ pages), but I figure I can read and exercise (weight lifting) at the same time.
                I wish I could do something while reading! I'd save so much time. Me, I read lying in bed or sitting in a chair, usually when I'm alone and the house is quiet. I can't read in airports, at work, dr. offices, etc.

PS: I read only the first paragraph of The Shack and put it away.

Comment

Still chewing on Age of Faith by Will Durant....up to page 500 of 1195 or so. It's a grind, but well worth it. Every page has a few words I don't know.

Along the way I have read Sailing Ships and Sailing Craft which was a neat, old paperback in full color with a history of various cultures sailing vessels.

Also am about to finish And We Slept by Gordon Prange. It's the definitive historical account of Pearl Harbor from both sides points of view. Exceptional historical writing with action packed narrative.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

"Up Periscope Yellow," a memoir about the creation of the Beatles' animated "Yellow Submarine" film, by Producer Al Brodax. A bit of fluff, after the two hefty tomes I had just recently read (and mentioned earlier in the thread).

Comment

I just started The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver.

Edited to add:
                      I just remembered, Barry read this book a few months ago. I will think of him as I read...
                      Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver

I love his stuff but don't ask me what this is about ! I've only just started it.
                      Last edited by Sharilyn; December 22, 2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                        PS: I read only the first paragraph of The Shack and put it away.
                        Just out of curosity, can I ask why? Was it a bad book?

Now reading "The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom".

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                          Just out of curosity, can I ask why? Was it a bad book?

Now reading "The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom".
                          No, it's just me. I heard The Shack is really popular, and I do want to read it some day. I just wasn't in the mood.

Your current book sounds interesting :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            "Up Periscope Yellow," a memoir about the creation of the Beatles' animated "Yellow Submarine" film, by Producer Al Brodax. A bit of fluff, after the two hefty tomes I had just recently read (and mentioned earlier in the thread).
                            Not a particularly well-written book, but a quick read nonetheless. Next up, "Alphabet Juice" by Roy Blount, Jr.

Comment

Hacking my way through "The Dominant Animal, Human Evolution and the Environment" by Paul and Anne Ehrlich. Not bad, though it does toe the green line rather than espousing objectively scientific positions (that is to say, positions without an anthropomorphic bias).
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I was at the Salvation Army when my wife's words rang in my head, "you gotta start reading again to save those brain cells" So I picked up a used copy of John Grisham's, The Associate and remembered how good reading was.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X