X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    Snippet of criminologist David Kennedy's op-ed in the LA times:
    Your criminologist completely misses the point. Jobs, education, hope in the future, and eradication of racism are the only solution to problems in the ghettos, not more police surveillance.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Would it be less bravado and more acceptable if the gun was only half loaded?
      You are an a$$! A 16 year 21 day old boy was murdered and you want to make a joke out of it. Go to h3ll!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        You are an a$$! A 16 year 21 day old boy was murdered and you want to make a joke out of it. Go to h3ll!
        Uh...feel free to call me an arse, but I don't think it was Martin I was making fun of...

I'm sorry to see you've chosen to be offended. I hope you find inner peace in your life.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

So you are saying "Stand Your Ground" laws are "easy" solutions?
          Are you saying SYG laws are solutions to society's problems?

Or it meant that gun nuts will always be gun nuts. Your conclusions are simplistic.
          I have good role models

A perfect reason not to vote Teapubican!
          They way you control a 2 year old who doesn't want to put their clothes on is to tell them they get to choose between wearing a blue shirt or a red shit.

Republican...Democrat...two faces of the same corruption.

Who is "we?" Don't presume to speak for me.
          I guess I can no longer use the word "we". Communication is so challenging.

My greatest fear is not law enforcement but all the gun nuts in the US who appear to be willing to take the law into their own hands.
          So just "appearing" to take the law into their own hands is scary? What if they take the law into their own hands without appearing to do so? Would that help?

Your criminologist completely misses the point. Jobs, education, hope in the future, and eradication of racism are the only solution to problems in the ghettos, not more police surveillance.
          I agree the solutions you mentioned are more important that police surveillance.

So how does one achieve those goals?
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "

Comment

I have often wondered how young Black males make it to productive adulthood. The stat has been repeated but its worth repeating here, whites & Blacks have roughly equal rates of drug abuse but Blacks have much higher conviction rates and much longer sentences for the same offense. Note how the Zimmerman defense tried to portray the victim Martin as an evil sub human monster criminal because traces of cannabis were found in his blood, the cannabis made him (in their presentation) a criminal worthy of being murdered on the street. In reality it didn't, it never would, merely having traces of cannabis or anything else in your blood does not make you worthy of being murdered. Add up the prejudice, the difficulty in finding a job, in getting a good education, the temptation of gang life or frankly the temptation of criminal activities and it is amazing any young Black males make it to profitable adulthood. Not counting professional athletes. It is the biggest waste possible to waste human talent. If the doors were open to these people to be all they could be, to reach and deliver on their potential, we would all be ahead. Somebody is going to cure cancer, for example. No reason to put that off any longer than necessary. Putting barriers like Zimmerman in the path of young Black males, who might contribute to that goal and other worthy, needed goals, is insane.

I get some theories going sometimes, just kind of trying to understand things. During the Vietnam War I wondered if some of the motivation for old men to send young men to war weren't biological: surplus males need to be eliminated and war is a great way to do that, and older gentlemen could easily feel their sexual advantages with the ladies threatened by young healthy vigorous males, so in both cases there'd be a subconscious predisposition to kill young males. It does happen among our fellow mammals, its been pretty universal, one way or another societies have found ways to kill off the surplus males. And maybe its that way with Black males. Is it possible that white males in positions of power, or advantage, at some level have fear of Black males? Maybe fear of their reputed enhanced masculinity, their enhanced attractiveness to the ladies, kind of like how older gentlemen like to send younger guys off to wars to get killed or maimed or otherwise be at a competitive disadvantage. I wonder. So much of what we do is oriented by our subconsciousness, or by drives hardwired into us by a million years of evolution.
            Last edited by Kalalau; July 21, 2013, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              Add up the prejudice, the difficulty in finding a job, in getting a good education, the temptation of gang life or frankly the temptation of criminal activities and it is amazing any young Black males make it to profitable adulthood.
              I agree the odds are stacked against Black males. Yeah, there are heroic stories of a few pulling themselves out of poverty, but the majority have a grim fate.

Putting barriers like Zimmerman in the path of young Black males
              I dunno if people "like Zimmerman" are a significant barrier to young Black males. I assume you're talking about any non-law-enforcement person carrying a gun?

What about people who "kill with a pen"?

surplus males need to be eliminated and war is a great way to do that, and older gentlemen could easily feel their sexual advantages with the ladies threatened by young healthy vigorous males, so in both cases there'd be a subconscious predisposition to kill young males.
              I agree with you there's a strong biological element behind our actions. Despite all our fancy schmancy technology, we still act like primates.
              "

Comment

Despite all our fancy schmancy technology, we still act like primates.
                I doubt even monkeys would have the ability to produce a jury as primitive as Zim's.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The fact is Trayvon would still be alive today if Zimmerman had not been fortified with his gun.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
                  Right. If innocent Zimmermen didn't have his gun, HE would be dead!

That's why they passed the Florida Law for self-defense.
                  Last edited by admin; July 21, 2013, 03:40 PM. Reason: Don't be silly.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Yes its from that librul network but some of the perspective might be worth considering...

http://www.upworthy.com/think-trayvo...this?g=2&c=cp2

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      If innocent Zimmermen didn't have his gun, HE would be dead!
                      huh? How whould Zimmerman have been killed by a kid in a small time tussel? He didn't come close to dying that nite.

Comment

Some people seem to be arguing that Trayvon Martin had no right to defend himself against a person following him, who had a record of molestation. Seems like a rather heavy burden to be placing on minors, to have to submit to whatever whatever adults are about want to do with them and if they fight back the adult is justified in blowing the kid away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                          Some people seem to be arguing that Trayvon Martin had no right to defend himself against a person following him.
                          Those people are known as kooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            Those people are known as kooks.
                            Another way of putting it, they are known as "gun nuts."

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Comment

Another way of putting it, they are known as "gun nuts."
                              I've been called a gun nut, yet I'm not a kook about Trayvon.

GRANNY GRAB YER GUN, NOW!

Comment

I found Andrew Branca's (self defense lawyer) commentary on Day 5 testimony to be interesting, since it involves the best eyewitness to the fight (John Good).

Massad Ayoob's (self defense expert witness and part time law enforcement) opinion on Martin's ability to cause great bodily harm.
                                His opinion on the veracity of Zimmerman's account.
                                "

Comment

Working...
                                X