So now I know why people love FRY's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now I know why people love FRY's

My brother tells me, "you gotta go to Fry's" since I love everything electronic. So I go there and simply could not believe what confronted me. A store twice as big as the biggest CompUSA in Hawaii devoted entirely to electronic stuff from mundane panel meters to sophistacated home theater stuff.

For me it was as extreme as comparing the Longs Drugs hardware aisle, to Home Depot then multiplying that by a factor of ten. It took me two days to soak in 90% of Fry's. I didn't even go into the Starbucks sized coffee bar in the middle of the store. For electronics I'd gladly give up Best Buy, Target and CompUSA (if it were still around) for one Fry's.

Yes I was in Heaven for two days and I'd give up mortality for a third!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: So now I know why people love FRY's

Oh Lordy...if I don't know where my husband or son is, or where they are when they're together, I could call Fry's and have them paged, successfully!!! They L-O-V-E that place and could spend hours there! It IS good, I will admit, but ten minutes and I'm done. They truly could live there!

When our son was trying to buy his home earlier this year, he first started looking really, really close to Fry's! But then he realized he couldn't afford that area, so he just "visits".

Comment

yeah Fry's is awesome! They had one in Phoenix.

And their prices are good. They even sell OEM hard drives, etc. It's funny cause there was a Best Buy one block down and I would always find what i needed at Fry's at almost 1/2 the price of Best Buy.
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I was looking at replacing my secondary external backup hard drive at 250gb. I go to Fry's and pick up a 320gb PATA hard drive for $65.00 Multi card readers for $9.00, 6-foot VGA monitor cables for $8.99. Picked up a cool 2gb MP3 player with earbuds and OLED screen for $19.99. I would have opted for a 4gb MP3/MP4 color video player about the size of a pack of gum for $29.00 but I figured I already got an MP4 player in my BB. The MP3 player I bought is about 1-1/4" square and less than a 1/2" thick made my Memorex. It'll play MP3's for 12-hours.

Buying on online for that price is possible but the shipping to Hawaii would practically double the price. Going to Fry's was like having online pricing and in-store purchasing. Immediate gratification. And boy I was over Gratified being there.

If you're a Geek, Fry's will give you an orgasm. How about a ball point pen with a USB programmable scrolling LED screen on the barrel for $19.99. And with Christmas coming up, Fry's was gearing up with electronic gadgets up the ying yang at yesterday's prices!

Simply saying you went to Fry's is like saying you've been to Disneyland. But until you go to Disneyland you don't and cannot imagine the WOW factor until you step inside one...it's like going to Disneyland!

Okay another example...going to Frys is like going to those knock off electronic vendors hawking cheap electronics except these are the real deal at knock off pricing! Okay like going into a store selling fake Gucci handbags only to realize these are real Gucci bags at knockoff prices!
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 16, 2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          devoted entirely to electronic stuff from mundane panel meters to sophistacated home theater stuff.
          What about loose electronic parts like resistors, intergrated circuits and the like? Do they sell those things too?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            What about loose electronic parts like resistors, intergrated circuits and the like? Do they sell those things too?
            yes

http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost...terAreaString=

I remember i needed a external hard drive enclosure. the cheapest 1 at best buy was $60 and they only had like 2 diff ones.
            Fry's had about 20 different ones starting at $14
            website - http://www.brianhancock.com
            blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Hey, Craig - where's the one you went to? Is Fry's in Hawai`i now?
              Nebba mine - I see elsewhere that you just got back from Los Angeles.
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 16, 2009, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah the food, the shopping, the traffic...LA is a love/hate kinda place.

Comment

I like FRY'S too. I go in there to just sniff the electronics. "I love the smell of new electronics in the morning, it smells like victory." (Funniest movie line ever!).

In the newest edition of Consumer Reports, FRY'S and Best Buy did not fare well in price and customer support. They both came in at the bottom of the list in customer satisfaction. I don't know if it is true, I'm just reporting.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yes I have been at FRY's here in the Bay Area too also...
                    Until there is one in SF the nearest one is over in Palo Alto...
                    Frys is the place to get everything and I do mean EVERYTHING that are Electronics related. Though, I have been told its not a great place to work at (but thats another thread) but thee place to shop... Each Fry store is themed store front outside and inside and the PA is Westerned Themed.....yeee haaaa!
                    And the Mountain View one that I have been too also is Sci-Fi Themed.

If you have trouble seeking out what u need in a given aisle just look up and hunt down the sales clerk.

Comment

I consider myself lucky. Between Trader Joe's (numerous places in the South Bay) and Fry's (Sunnyvale and San Jose), I get most of my really essential stuff. Ferrinstance, this time of year, I see tons of essential stocking stuffers.

Exchanges / refunds have never been a problem for me.
                      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

You that cliche movie/tv scene where a guy walks into the "promised land"? It typically starts with a wide shot of character walking into the place, he stops midstep. Cut to a tight shot of his face, eyes big, mouth open. Cut to a shot of the location, wide-angle, backlit and smoke effects so rays of light appear to be shooting out from behind objects. Harp music and the "ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh" of angels play in the background...... ? You know, that scene.

I feel like that every time I walk into a Fry's.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          You that cliche movie/tv scene where a guy walks into the "promised land"? It typically starts with a wide shot of character walking into the place, he stops midstep. Cut to a tight shot of his face, eyes big, mouth open. Cut to a shot of the location, wide-angle, backlit and smoke effects so rays of light appear to be shooting out from behind objects. Harp music and the "ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh" of angels play in the background...... ? You know, that scene.

I feel like that every time I walk into a Fry's.
                          I think you described exactly what the surveillance cameras saw on my face when I entered it the first time. I asked my brother, "Damn where do you start?" He said, "What do you need". I said I dunno and picked the first aisle where I promptly grabbed things. My nephew had to bring in a shopping cart for me by the end of that aisle. That's when I realized my wallet was in trouble.

Deer in the headlight look. People must have thought, "another first time Fry's customer"

Comment

Yeah, Fry's is just awesome bottled in a warehouse.

I've heard some mixed experiences with customer service, but not a big deal when I can find stuff on my own.

I'd give up Target if we could get Fry's.

Comment

There's also a Fry's in Las Vegas that I visit whenever I'm there. It's one of the highlights of the trip. Like most activities in Vegas, it lightens my wallet, but at least I know I'll always walk out happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X