Best places in Hilo, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best places in Hilo, please

Next thing you know you won't be able to get steak & eggs for < $4 at Dick's Coffee Shop and then work it off at Spencer's.

Progress, I tell you.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
      Next thing you know you won't be able to get steak & eggs for < $4 at Dick's Coffee Shop and then work it off at Spencer's.

Progress, I tell you.
      Dick's Coffee Shop is another one that went out of business years ago. When my wife and I were college students at UH Hilo, Dick's was the best deal for poor college students. Oh how I miss their Rhubarb pie ala mode!

As for Spencers, still in business and one of my all time addictions when I was a bodyubuilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
        Dick's Coffee Shop is another one that went out of business years ago. When my wife and I were college students at UH Hilo, Dick's was the best deal for poor college students. Oh how I miss their Rhubarb pie ala mode!

As for Spencers, still in business and one of my all time addictions when I was a bodyubuilder.
        Dick's Coffee HOUSE was at the Hilo Shopping Center and moved to the Prince Kuhio Mall for a spell. It was replaced by Dottie's, which also closed. The site is beiing taken over by IHOP. Planter's Bar was connected to Dick's at the Hilo Shopping Center.

PAUL'S COFFEE SHOP was located on Keawe St. across Spencer's Fitness.

There was also DICK'S SNUG HARBOR, a bar, located at Suisan.

These were part of Okimura Enterprises (brothers Dick and Paul). They owned the Hukilau Hotels, now named the Seaside Hotels (Hilo, Kona, Maui).

Comment

So...anybody got a good recommedation for good Kulolo?

Comment

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
            So...anybody got a good recommedation for good Kulolo?
            There are these people who sell Hawaiian food on the side of the road when you pull out from the Puna side of the Prince Kuhio Mall. I have bought Lau Lau and Kulolo from them once and it was really good!
            Only in Hilo will you still see people parked on the side of the road selling everything from Patele and Hunto rice, Lau Lau, Smoked Meat and sausage, whole ahi and aku, throw nets, and even puppies that is not fo eat but for pets.

Comment

Hooo MAN!!! Now I really like fly to Hilo....got choke roadside food vendors making and selling ono kaukau....ovah heah in oahu, I think the officials wen go chase da food vendors away....wit da exception of those who like sell deah cars!

Comment

Pretty soon Department of Health probably going shut down those roadside vendors too. The police already scared away those buggahs on Volcano Highway near Panaewa Zoo cutoff. But den was getting rediculous. Started with this one guy selling fishing nets, and den Fresh Aku (at 4pm, go figure). Then one month last year, CHOKE people was selling everything from puppies to mini ATV's. I think that did it.

One thing though, one of my co-workers who has lived forever in Hilo told me of this Korean food place on Kilauea near UH Hilo. He swore it was DA BOMB!

Well, I'm sorry but...I had better on Oahu at that place in Manoa Marketplace.

Oh and I discovered that KTA in the Puianako Shopping Center makes some pretty good baked Manapua! Yeah good manapua in Hilo!!!! But dey make only baked, but they pack the bun with lots of cat meat...um I mean char sui

Sorry I tell everybody when you nail one cat on the road it looks like minced char sui like da kine you put in good manapua.

Ever notice there's at least one dead cat on the freeway as you go kokohead bound on the H-1 as you take the King St. cutoff? And there's always a dead cat just before the Keaau Recycle center going Pahoa Bound on Highway 130 (Pahoa highway)? What's the connection? There's a Humane Society right across the street.
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 4, 2007, 12:34 AM.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
                  I'll be in Hilo on the 18th & love to sample the best local places. I like L&L but we have 'em here in OC.
                  L&L is different on the mainland than it is here in Hawaii.

uh.. wait:

"Join Date: Mar 2007

"I'll be in Hilo on the 18th & love to sample the best local places. I like L&L but we have 'em here in OC."

ok, what is it. You do say OC there? or don't say OC there? Or DO say oh see doseedoe... or
                  uhhh I getting dizzy!

Comment

Working...
                  X