Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I love the President, but this is ridiculous. Doctors without Borders. Amnesty International. Bishop Desmond Tutu. Barack Obama?
    It's a "thanks for not being Bush" award.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Is the prize like a honorary degree when the person succeeded without the need for a degree on their resume?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Sorry, but the recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize have gotten me scratching my head.
        You're not the only one, believe me!

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        It's a "thanks for not being Bush" award.
        Congrats for surpassing the extremely low bar of achievement set by your predecessor. You win the award....by default.

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Is the prize like a honorary degree when the person succeeded without the need for a degree on their resume?
        LOL! As much as I supported Obama's campaign, I have to admit that the Nobel peace prize selection unfortunately feeds into the conservative's criticism about Obama being a superficial celebrity rather than a man of substance.

But in fairness to the president, this isn't the first time that celebrity has triumphed over more deserving candidates. It was just a couple of years ago that Irena Sendler, a Polish social worker who risked her life to save thousands of Polish Jews from Nazi tyranny, was nominated for the Nobel prize, but lost.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/sendler.asp

Ah, but what chance did an unsung heroine like Sendler have against former Vice President Al Gore and his oh-so-glossy slide show presentation on global warming?
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 12, 2009, 02:10 AM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          But in fairness to the president, this isn't the first time that celebrity has triumphed over more deserving candidates. It was just a couple of years ago that Irena Sendler, a Polish social worker who risked her life to save thousands of Polish Jews from Nazi tyranny, was nominated for the Nobel prize, but lost.

Ah, but what chance did an unsung heroine like Sendler have against former Vice President Al Gore and his oh-so-glossy slide show presentation on global warming?
          Wow.

Perhaps someone should take Nobel's greatest invention to the world, stick them up the selection committee's butts and light them.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Maybe the committee is worried Obama may not live long enough to qualify for the honor in the future (no posthumous awards).
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Based on this award, I think all Beauty Pageant contestants should be awarded Nobel Peace prize...for aren't they the very one's whose goals are "World Peace"?

You can talk all day long but in the end it's the accomplishments that account for your mark on this world.

He talks but there are many who walk what they say and have accomplished more than the president has done...yet. I'm sure Obama will succeed with his ambitions but it's too early to see the light at the end of his tunnel. Too Soon!

Obama should reject this prize and tell the committee he'll accept it when he earns it, or else just give it to the Miss America Pageant already. They've been proclaiming world peace for decades already.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                the Nobel peace prize selection unfortunately feeds into the conservative's criticism about Obama being a superficial celebrity rather than a man of substance.

Clearly, the award comes as no surprise considering who Obama is. President Obama, through his actions and appointments, is simply fulfilling the Bilderberg Group’s imperative of implementing a world government. The Nobel Committee isn’t concerned about preserving the Constitutions of individual nations — even a once-great superpower like the United States. Their goal is peace, and if the best way to achieve that is through consolidation of world economies through entities like the European Union and the North American Union, so be it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Agreed!

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  If this is an international response to us, it's more like a girlie punch
                  It's a big media flap over nothing. Obama should have used his acceptence air time to tell them to stuff their albatross-around-the-neck award. He's got more important things to focus on than giving red meat to the Obama-nots.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Based on this award, I think all Beauty Pageant contestants should be awarded Nobel Peace prize...for aren't they the very one's whose goals are "World Peace"?

You can talk all day long but in the end it's the accomplishments that account for your mark on this world.
                    The indisputable fact is that Obama has not signed or brokered a single peace agreement. Heck, he hasn't even gotten a handshake deal on anything of consequence. Of course, all that may change in the years to come.... but it hasn't happened yet. And that is what has tainted this Nobel prize, whether anyone wants to admit or not.

He talks but there are many who walk what they say and have accomplished more than the president has done...yet. I'm sure Obama will succeed with his ambitions but it's too early to see the light at the end of his tunnel. Too Soon!
                    And thus, the tragedy of the situation. I truly believe that Obama has the potential and in the right position to truly earn the Nobel prize and to do so with near universal acclaim.... after the necessary accomplishments. But by accepting the award prematurely, there will always be a stigma attached to it. Oh well.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Kanye West is planning to make any trips to Oslo?

Yo Barry, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Hu Jia is the greatest human rights activist of all time! The GREATEST human rights activist of ALL TIME!!!!
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      Their goal is peace, and if the best way to achieve that is through consolidation of world economies through entities like the European Union and the North American Union, so be it.
                      North American Union? Does that mean we'll have health care like Canada, or a Public Option like Mexico?

Comment

Okay so former President Bill Clinton gets a statue for helping a country gain independence while President Barack Obama gets a Nobel Peace prize for wishful thinking?

I'm really glad for Clinton for this achievement...I'm still puzzled about Obama
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Not hard to figure out...

Many would probably have to live outside of America to appreciate that the world community was immensley disappointed, to say the least, with the US voting in scum like Bush/Cheney and then incredibly doing it a second time, and were relieved to see us pull our heads out of our asses by putting in someone much different, of color yet, that offerred real hope and a direct change from the disasterous years that preceeded him. No doubt as well looking for an end to the carnage the war-loving right have gave us all too often.
                          That alone was enuf to award him the prize, and of course a swipe at the dearly departed duo.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

There have been a number of articles out, interviewing folks from the prize committee, where they explain their reasoning. They often emphasize that it was not meant to be a dig at the previous administration.

Comment

Okay so former President Bill Clinton gets a statue for helping a country gain independence while President Barack Obama gets a Nobel Peace prize for wishful thinking?
                              It's fitting for Clinton, as far as it relates to Kosovo. You get a larger-than-life statue for an achievement that relates to war. The Nobel prize should go to someone for an achievement that promotes or pepetuates peace.

As far as Obama's award goes, I've already stated my views on the matter.

Comment

Mr. Whitfield, please keep your political views to yourself, I find it offensive that you view a former President and Vice President of the United States as scum. Think of what we undured during his presidentcy, did you think he and the Vice President were scum during 9/11. I think your views are just a bit twisted and distasteful.

Comment

Working...
                                X