Ultimate Fighting & MMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ultimate Fighting & MMA

A rebel doesn't care about the facts. All he wants to do is yell... Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight.
    Proverbs 18:2, 17

I used to live in the Condo's right next to Shooters...the Country Club Condo's.

Banyan Drive was not like this when I left Hilo in '97.

Most of the people that conglamorate in that area NOW are actually from out of Hilo town and have no other places to hang out after hours...

The problem lies more with the fact that there is not enough bars and/or things for people to do in Hilo at times.... so what do they do...they drive around...go party party... Drink and Drive...etc... then when nothing better to do... or run out of Alcohol...(cause Alcohol sales do end at 11:00 in Hilo..) they want to go into an establishment and have a drink.... there are only maybe 3-4 places to go to after hours in Hilo and some 2000 plus drinkers during an event like this....

You said it best that Blaisdell had the problem of fights and it has now mellowed out.... Big Island just started having MMA recently and having bouts at the civic....Instead of Beefing inside of the Civic ... they are told to take there problems elsewhere.... thus, allowing them not to be so associated with fighting because of MMA at the civic... Kind of like "take it outside" however, it tends to spill down onto banyan drive...which is less than a 1/4 mile from the Civic... The Alcohol, Combined with I'm sure some Drugs, as well as Stupidity... as WELL as the "Fighters Mentality" that many MMA artists have along with their "POSSE" can create some chaos....

Remember what happened outside of Zanzabar with BJ PENN here on OAHU?

Anyone remember back in about 1999 when MMA fighters were targeting UH Football players to "pick" fights with...?

Comment

• Ufc 65???

Hey all! Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to watch the UFC 65 fights this Saturday on Maui. I've been looking all around the internet and can't find a thing. Thanks all!

Comment

I guess your next best bet is going to be to start calling the bars around town.

Depending on where your staying, you might be able to order it on PPV.

Comment

In case anyone forgot... UFC 65: Bad Intentions gets started at 5 p.m.

Gonna be good to see Tim Sylvia back in action... and I hope GSP upsets Hughes to win the title...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
            ... and I hope GSP upsets Hughes to win the title...

Hope is a powerful thing. About as powerful as a left high kick upside the head. GSP went Cro Cop on Hughes....... War GSP!!!!!

Will we get the rubber match between Hughes and GSP first or will BJ heal in time for a rematch with GSP?

Edit: Actually Serra gets the first shot at GSP. He needs to work on his standup or it will be a first round TKO. If GSP can stalemate BJ on the ground, Serra better stay on his feet.
            Last edited by nachodaddy; November 18, 2006, 07:17 PM. Reason: serra
            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I was shocked that it wasn't even close. hughes had his arse handed to him. I was pulling for the snowman, and he gave a very disappointing performance. I'm not even sure how interesting a hughes/GSP rematch would be. I'd be more excited about it if the fight was a little closer.

Comment

Curious to see what fighters make?

The following are the official fighter payroll figures released by the California State Athletic Commission for UFC 65 "Bad Intentions" show from November 18th. These figures do not include bonuses UFC privately pays some fighters.

Georges St. Pierre ($58,000) def. Matt Hughes ($75,000)

Tim Sylvia ($120,000) def. Jeff Monson ($13,000)

Brandon Vera ($40,000) def. Frank Mir ($30,000)

Drew McFedries ($8,000) def. Alessio Sakara ($10,000)

Joe Stevenson ($24,000) def. Dokonjonosuke Mishima ($8,000)

James Irvin ($10,000) def. Hector Ramirez ($3,000)

Antoni Hardonk ($6,000) def. Sherman Pendergarst ($4,000)

Nick Diaz ($24,000) def. Gleison Tibau ($3,000)

Jake O'Brien ($12,000) def. Josh Shockman ($3,000)

Comment

Anyone else watch UFC-66 last night? Comments?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Niko Vitale loses to Jermy Horn last night..

Niko Vitale loses to Jermy Horn last night, in Oakland Ca. It's to bad for Niko as he has lost four of his last five fights, I like his style,and I hope he keeps going.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6571

Comment

• Re: Niko Vitale loses to Jermy Horn last night..

From the story:

Horn made a successful return to the ring after a four-month layoff by beating Vitale by split decision in the five-round main event. Horn, looking much worse for the wear, let out a sigh of relief when the final score was announced — 48-47, 47-48 and 48-47 — in his favor. This was a fight most prognosticators tabbed Horn to win and while he did take home the victory in the end, it was not an easy night for the crafty veteran.
                      Wonder if it would have went differently on the scorecards if they fought at the Blaisdell...

Comment

• Re: Niko Vitale loses to Jermy Horn last night..

probably not J. Horn is one of the best MMA fighters in the world.

Comment

The new season of Ultimate Fighter starts tonight. Hilo's B.J. Penn is one of the two coaches, and UH grad Andy Wang is one of the 16 fighters. There was this story in today's Advertiser and here's a couple of excerpts:

"Hilo mixed martial arts fighter BJ Penn is about to become a household name.
                          Tonight, he makes his debut as one of the coaches on Spike's "Ultimate Fighter 5," one of the most popular cable shows on TV.
                          "Showtime is 7 p.m. The Ultimate Fighter is a reality series that has been nominated twice for Emmys.
                          "The show spends six weeks tracking 16 mixed martial artists as they live with and fight each other for a chance to win a six-figure UFC contract.
                          (...)
                          "This year, the UFC is banking on the animosity between Penn and Iowa-based Jens Pulver to be the main sublot.
                          (sic) (I'm sure they meant subplot)
                          "I respect him — he's a world champion and I know he's dangerous," Penn, 28, told The Advertiser in an earlier interview about Pulver, 32. "But I just don't like him. That guy runs his mouth way too much"
                          Pulver's take on Penn: "He's not a rival anymore, he's a straight nemesis He's a great fighter. He's a legend in the sport. But I really want to knock him out."
                          (...)
                          "On Season III, Maui's Kendall Grove won a six-figure contract. This year, Andy Wang, a University of Hawai'i graduate, is one of the fighters."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

just watched the opening episode of TUF5. We're in for one hellauva show. BJ is pretty loco moco and funny. he seems like a great coach/mentor and a real likeable guy.

he starts some shit from the opening show. don't want to be a spoiler but if you can download the show, it's was worth watching. he's going to be a star after this with his charisma and reputation of accomplishments.

Comment

You can watch the entire program of UFC 71 here: http://www.jitterville.com/ufc71.php

Or just the main event, Chuck "Iceman" Lidell Vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson: http://www.jitterville.com/liddellvjackson.php

Haven't check out the rest of the programs but, just by offering UFC 71, I think this is a cool site!
                              http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/
                              Last edited by GnosticWarrior; May 29, 2007, 08:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add link

Comment

thats awesome knostic, chuck was definately knocked out. thanks for the video!

Comment

Working...
                                X