Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Cathy Ttanaka cell fone commercial...

"Oh I just love my new cell phone:

I can call one friend, let alone many friends!...."

da hell she tawkin bout!?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      I saw a TV ad on KIKU the other day for a plastic surgery clinic. They claimed that getting your eyelids done would not only make you look younger, but that it would help you see better and improve your driving safety. Whaaaat?
      oh man, which clinic was it for? that's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by sin
        oh man, which clinic was it for? that's hilarious.
        Aha, I saw it again and caught the name of the place. It's the Aesthetic Vision Center.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          I'm not a fan of Tania's voice, which is why I don't like her ads.

However, from a marketing standpoint, I agree completely. She's practically the Sleepland brand.

No lie! When my 6-year-old daughter was between 2-3, she used to do the Sleepland commercial: and sweep her hand artistically in front of her and say "NOBODY!" It cracked me up! Tania definitely imprints on many generations in one feel swoop. It's irritating to me, too, but she's making the big bucks (right?) and gawd bless her for her abilities. At least she isn't a fortune teller on the side!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

There's a new local TV ad that really infuriates me.
            It was created by the state Department of Health. A man named Dr. Paul Ho talks about how he went dancing at a local nightclub where people were smoking, and he says that because of the secondhand smoke he had a heart attack the very next day and that he died on the operating table but they revived him.
            PuhLEEEZE! One single incident with secondhand smoke and he DIED?!? Where is the hard evidence on this outrageous claim? Ya think maybe he had a prior history of heart problems? Ya THINK?
            Watch the ad closely. He never claims the heart attack was because of the smoke. It's just implied.
            Where is the truth in advertising? I'd sure to love to see someone look into this.
            I agree that secondhand smoke is a problem, but it is incredibly shameful for our Department of Health to use scare tactics like that. (And it's our tax dollars that paid for this ridiculous ad!)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              [...]Where is the truth in advertising? I'd sure to love to see someone look into this.[...]
              Hey, LN. Can you be the 'someone'? If you feel that strongly about it then go for it. Yes, I've seen the ad. No, I didn't work on it!

For any of you who have a *legitimate* gripe with an ad, let the advertiser know. Write a non-confrontational letter. I'm always astounded by the truly frivolous complaints advertisers receive but if you honestly feel something is being misrepresented, bring it to the advertiser's attention.

Comment

I don't know if I won't like this yet, but I just heard and barely saw this ad pass on the KITV 4 News tonight. I heard nothing but 10 or 20 seconds worth of heavy breathing.... when I turned around, all I saw were the changing colors of Pacific Wings' logotype. Anyone seen this?
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think so. Whenever I see/hear that one, I have a hard time figuring out if its a bad ad for a company, or a bad PSA by the State Department of Health.

The latest local -- well, I think it's local -- ad that makes me shrug is an ad for a tofu company. Stylistic for its own sake, and says basically nothing. I guess the scenario is, "Guy impresses date with discerning choice in tofu brands." Like they took the lighting rig and shot list for a wine commercial but threw in a block of bean curd instead.

Comment

Least Favorite Local TV Ads

Anybody got one or some least favorite locally-made tv ads?

Mine is that Taco Bell commercial where the ... ahem ... ladies are wearing tats.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: Least Favorite Local TV Ads

That subject has been discussed here...but not in awhile. Maybe it's time for an update! I'll watch...quietly!

Comment

There's an ad for a tofu company that just makes me roll my eyes... but I can't tell if it's locally made or not, and can't even remember the company. Basically the message is, "haole guy gets dating cred for demonstrating skill with tofu."

I also reluctantly nominate the HMSA "Healthy Living" ad where the big guy gets into a fight with a snack vending machine. The concept isn't too bad, but the guy is presented in such an unflattering light I'm totally distracted from the message. Of course, I'm sure the actor is a really nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          [...]Of course, I'm sure the actor is a really nice guy.
                          He is! And if you watch closely, you'll see him in a couple of other spots. Can you name them?!

Comment

I just saw one! Ooooh dear...
                            Rachel's Tax Service...the tag jingle goes, "good ol' reliable Raaaa chel".
                            I'll shut up now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I just saw one! Ooooh dear...
                              Rachel's Tax Service...the tag jingle goes, "good ol' reliable Raaaa chel".
                              Saw that one too, and it rings a bell. I think it ran several years ago, or maybe it was a radio spot, but I definitely recall that tag line.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I just saw another one! America's Mattress.

It's obviously a low budget spot but that's not what caught my eye. The concept did. And I know my perception doesn't match the intent of the concept. Still, considering the proliferation of childhood sexual abuse, I personally feel that it's inappropriate to show a young girl of about 9 or 10 in bed with her parents...between the 2 of them...her dad's arm under her neck. The spot focuses more on the "dad" and "daughter" with only a quick 3 shot. What message does this send to whacked out predators?

I dunno...maybe my over-protective feelings for children in the industry are getting in my way. Intellectually I know the concept is innocent. I just don't think it's appropriate. Thirty years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Then, again, 30 years ago married couples were still shown in separate beds on tv!

Has anyone else seen this spot and, if so, am I way off base for feeling it's inappropriate?

Comment

Working...
                                X