Duke Aiona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Aiona

Lt. Gov. Duke Aiona is running for governor. Be very afraid.

As you can imagine, I'm not a fan of the guy. But as Doug White points out, the folks at the Honolulu Advertiser are being unusually harsh... or at least, taking the debate somewhere it doesn't need to go, considering Aiona's lack of anything remotely resembling political credibility speaks for itself.

Blogs Dave Shapiro:
    Lt. Gov. James “Duke” Aiona is getting a three-year head start on running for governor in 2010. I hope Gov. Linda Lingle gives him time off from carrying her purse so he can campaign.
    Writes Lee Cataluna:
    His tenure as LG has been more first-lady-esque than gubernatorial. All he needs is the Ramona purse dog and the Vicki fishtail mu'umu'u... He has three years to prove he can wear the pants and leave the purse dog to Vivian.
    I guess it's inevitable, and somewhat telling, given the longstanding snarks about Lingle's stature. But I think Aiona gives us a lot to make fun of without calling him a girlie girl.

Re: Duke Aiona

That PSA he's doing about hiking up the stairs takes on a whole new light when one considers he's just announced he's gonna run, doesn't it?

Paraphrase: "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right."
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

He won't even get his party's nomination, and I'll take bets on it. Aiona vs. the Field. I'll give you Aiona and 3:1 odds for postcards (if I win, you mail me one cool postcard with a nice message; if you win, I'll mail you three). Who wants a piece of that?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        He won't even get his party's nomination, and I'll take bets on it. Aiona vs. the Field. I'll give you Aiona and 3:1 odds for postcards (if I win, you mail me one cool postcard with a nice message; if you win, I'll mail you three). Who wants a piece of that?
        boring. Up the ante, will ya? Make that three postcards from different places on the world. That's right, let's get ebay involved. And I'll take that bet.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          boring. Up the ante, will ya? Make that three postcards from different places on the world. That's right, let's get ebay involved. And I'll take that bet.
          Okay. Three different postcards (vs. your one) from different places in the world.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

shoot! And, if I win, I further insist that neither of those cards share the same time zone. Feel free to ask something high maintenance of me in return.

pax

Comment

He won't even get his party's nomination, and I'll take bets on it.
              Uhhhhh, and the Republican party has how many viable gubernatorial candidates to choose from? If he's the only candidate with any name recognition, then I think scrivener better start looking for some postcards.

How likely is it that someone like Hemmings will run?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Uhhhhh, and the Republican party has how many viable gubernatorial candidates to choose from? If he's the only candidate with any name recognition, then I think scrivener better start looking for some postcards.
                Hey, if I give you ALL my rationale, nobody will take the bet because I'm so charming and convincing. So what up, GeckoGeek? You wanna put your postage where your mouth is?
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So what up, GeckoGeek? You wanna put your postage where your mouth is?
                  What is the bet? If you're saying that if Duke couldn't get the nomination even if he ran unopposed, you're on! Otherwise the bet is really on who else might throw their hat into the ring. I don't follow an nuances of local politics enough to have any data on that. If the party doesn't want Duke to get the nomination, they'll talk someone else into running. Maybe even a Democrat.

Comment

Okay. I'm offering three-to-one odds (on postcards) for Duke Aiona vs. anyone else to get the Republican nomination for the Gubernatorial election. Who's going to represent the party in the general election? I say not Aiona.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I might take this bet, Scriv, but give me a moment to compose my thoughts. I just want to go down the list and see if I can think of a single candidate the GOP would choose over Aiona.

Hmmmm....

C. Djou: already running for lt. gov
                      S. Slom: too divisive; has almost no following or name recognition outside of Hawai‘i Kai, Kailua and downtown
                      F. Hemmings: too old, has been
                      W. Anderson: can’t even win an OHA seat these days
                      A. Anderson: GOP probably won’t take him back after his defection, but you never know. Aiona’s cousin Sammy isn’t chairing the GOP anymore.
                      C. Thielen: still smarting from being pushed into, and losing U.S. Senate race
                      P. Saiki: sleeper, but been out of the game too long
                      B. Hogue: too dumb (or unable to articulate a comprehensive agenda effectively )
                      M. Kane: one-issue candidate (Hawaiian Homelands)
                      M. Gabbard: religious nutcase and political waffler. won’t get any of the “educated” vote.
                      Q. Kawananakoa: hmmmm.... I have to think about this one. Has ali‘i status to claim over Aiona, and he’s actually intelligent. Rich enough to finance his own campaign. Has statewide appeal, having lost to Hogue by less then 200 votes (1%). Was leading in his first run at Congress before he dropped out due to “illness.”
                      J. Coffee: has more health problems then Kawananakoa. *cough*
                      H. Kim: hmmmm.... hasn’t openly declared whether he is a Dem or a Republican. Ran as GOP candidate for Big Island mayor, but only because at the time, he had to choose a party and has disavowed his connection to them. Has statewide appeal. Might be too humble for his own good, but another distinct possibility.

Okay, no bet, Scriv. I see your point now. Thank heavens Fasi says he won’t run again!
                      Last edited by TuNnL; June 13, 2007, 01:31 AM. Reason: forgot to mention J. Coffee

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Aiona Just Wants Something To Do
                        Constitutionally we’ve consigned the poor devils to watching the clock in the high-ceilinged lieutenant governor’s office on the fifth floor with absolutely nothing to do - nothing. The lieutenant governor presides over nothing. The lieutenant governor runs nothing... It’s a nothin’ job. Duke Aiona might as well start running for governor. It’ll beat watching the hands on his office clock move ohso slowly.

Comment

Well now that Ed Case is out of a job and got the royal snub from his own party (Democrats), a defection to the Right could give him the nod for a run at the Governor's seat as a Republican...hmmm.

He'd defiantely get the Big Island vote. With Obama in the presidential seat and Case in the governor's seat you'd have two Punahou grads in two major political power seats in the US. That would be impressive bragging rights for the Buff n' Blue
                          Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 21, 2007, 12:29 AM.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            Well now that Ed Case is out of a job and got the royal snub from his own party (Democrats), a defection to the Right could give him the nod for a run at the Governor's seat as a Republican...hmmm.

He'd defiantely get the Big Island vote. With Obama in the presidential seat and Case in the governor's seat you'd have two Punahou grads in two major political power seats in the US. That would be impressive bragging rights for the Buff n' Blue
                            Case graduated from Hawaii Prep.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Case graduated from Hawaii Prep.
                              Oh must have been his brother then
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X