The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Honolulu Star Advertiser

This thread is started for posting anything related to the new Honolulu Star Advertiser, which has come about as a result of the merger between the Honolulu Star Bulletin and the Honolulu Advertiser. The owner of the Star Bulletin bought the Advertiser earlier this year. June 7, 2010 marks the beginning of the new venture.

Discussion can be about anything related to the newspaper, news content, news staff, management, production employees, former employees, readers, advertising, sports, features, entertainment, columnists, editorial bias, cost, subscriptions, the website and more.

On going discussion regarding the purchase of the paper by Black Press can also continue here as the older thread will be retired.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

The new website is http://www.staradvertiser.com/ . Both of the old websites are still up -- check 'em out to see what they've done.
    I haven't had a chance to read the new paper yet today, since it was delivered late.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It seems to reflect it's new name, being a mixture of the two styles, and so far it's OK. But it sucks not having two papers to take up bus travel time even if it was just to spend one minute turning pages and toss. The Weekly's a fast turn and toss these days as well.
      We'll see come Sunday what comics I like are gone and at what price, but was glad to see the daily keep the four I like.
      $1.50 for the old nuthin Ad was nuts.

Funny that Hawaii 5-0 called it decades ago with Star-Advertiser props.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

for those of us that have been hawaii 5-0 fans we may remember that the fictional honolulu newspaper that was featured in a few episodes was called:
        " honolulu star advertiser"

now that is just strange!
        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Is the Honolulu Star Advertiser as stable merge as Bradgelina?

Comment

I hope they learn from history and decide to keep Prince Valiant!

Last time the Advertiser canceled it the outcry was great, and they wisely continued it rather than lose subscription money.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Noticed today they took advantage of no competition and raised the price to 75 centavos. No way jose, they should have expanded the meager contents accordingly, but they still have a Wed. foodie section. Do they still give away papers on The Bus?

Comment

Well I think the price was boosted to 75¢ because that is what the Honolulu Advertiser charged for their newsstand edition. The Star-Bulletin was 50¢ at the newsstand and for many people free at certain places.

I miss my free paper edition of the Star-Bulletin.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

hi to the mod here and my one true apology for this one post and if i may ask,may anyone may have received their staradvertiser is in our area,our neighborhood didnt receive it yet and we called and that their's only a voice recording saying that we should've got our staradvertiser at the hour of 6:30 am and it still hasnt come,if anyone may wish to share their thought's,please do.

well thank's for your time

Comment

that brings up another interesting thought. Here on the Big Island you could get the Honolulu Advertiser delivered to your home via US Mail, or you could get it at McDonalds or other places around town, but you couldn't get the Star Bulletin. What happens now? The Tribune Herald isn't exactly the best source of news around the state and that's why people here subscribed to the Honolulu Advertiser...you simply couldn't get the Star Bulletin here.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There was a time that both Honolulu Star Bulletin and Honolulu Advertiser were papers that a had a state wide cicurlation this was so legal ads could be carried by the papers. Then the Star Bulletin decided to drop that service for what ever reason.

Don't know about now. It might be a sooner or later thing.

Comment

I just finished the Sunday Star-Advertiser, and though I am quite impressed by its easy-read layout they have dropped the two features which have kept me subscribed to the paper for so long: the "Prince Valiant" comic strip, and "Earthweek: Diary of a Planet."

Maybe I'm just a nerd or something, but I liked a story which continued week after week, creating suspense while trickling in faux romantic history.
                        I also appreciated a half page which informed me of the ecological, scientific details of the passing week: volcanoes, earthquakes and the like.

I'm so disappointed. It feels like the Sunday paper has been 'dumbed down' to the lowest common denominator.

On the bright side, they included "TV Week," which will make my spouse happy, and is a good deal, since "TV guide" is much more expensive and not as easy to peruse.

Win some -
                        Lose some -
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

There are still some inappropriate SB/Adv now and then - e.g., in Sunday's paper, the SB has been running a once-a-week series profiling O`ahu neighborhood boards.
                          The intro for the entry today (Nu`uanu NB) continues to say each Sunday in the insight section the Star Bulletin is profilng . . ."

Manini, but a copy editor should have caught that.

Comment

AAARRRGGH! No more Todd The Dinosaur in the Sunday comix...

Comment

Wow . . . that's a new one. In the driveway this morning, all neatly bagged to protect against the moisture:

Two sets of Section D (Today), TGIF, the car ads, the miscellaneous stuffers, etc...but no section A, B or C.

In other words, no news at all . . .but maybe nothing's happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X