Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threats to pets?

Just wondering...

What are the hazards to domestic pets living in Hawaii? I remember reading something about toads that are particularly poisonous. What about the centipedes and scorpions? What about things cats or dogs might try to eat? How do you protect the little guys?

Cheers,
    -Brian*

Re: Threats to pets?

Cars are the biggest threat to pets in Hawaii, every day dozens of pets are hit by cars, and many are killed or seriously injured. I've seen cars not even try to avoid animals, in fact it seems like they deliberately try to run them over.

My cats play with centipedes without any harm, and don't mess with toads. A bigger danger is access to poisonous materials. In the last 2 years I've had three stray cats get sick and sicker and finally die due to some kind of poison. The Vet says probably someone in my neighborhood left out a pan of anti-freeze, which is evidently fatal to cats.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable talk about toads; my dog stays away from them.

K
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Not only do you worry about what your pets are eating... sometimes you worry about your pets getting eaten.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/haw...jail_time.html

Comment

When I interviewed for the Gas Company back in 1982, our safety manager asked me if I were driving a truck with a heavy payload and a dog wandered in front of my vehicle, what would I do? The two choices were swerve and avoid hitting it, or hit it?

I answered, "hit it". He asked why. I responded when carrying a heavy load, I would lose control of my vehicle as the weight shifted during this evasive action. If I were in traffic or if there were pedestrians, my out of control truck could seriously injure or kill others.

That apparently was the correct answer.

I've seen a driver avoid hitting a mongoose on the road by instinctively swerving...into oncoming traffic, making that vehicle swerve into the shoulder which happened to be a sidewalk with pedestrians on it. Those people had to jump out of the way. All because of a mongoose.

As for cats playing with centipedes, I don't worry about it simply because they don't seem affected by them. As a matter of fact, cats are a great way of keeping them away. Toads are dangerous to dogs. My stupid dog still doesn't get it and tries to bite those toads at night even after doing so several times and me washing his mouth out...repeatedly. At night I leash him up near the house instead of in the yard where they tend to hang out.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

http://www.paradiseanimalclinic.com/385954.html
          Here are some dangers to pets:

Paraquat Poisoning
          Leptospirosis
          Heartworms
          Ehrlichiosis
          Toad Poisoning
          Feline Liver Flukes

http://www.petsonthego.com/imphawaii.html
          Quarantine info for inbound pets
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            When I interviewed for the Gas Company back in 1982, our safety manager asked me if I were driving a truck with a heavy payload and a dog wandered in front of my vehicle, what would I do? The two choices were swerve and avoid hitting it, or hit it?

I answered, "hit it". He asked why. I responded when carrying a heavy load, I would lose control of my vehicle as the weight shifted during this evasive action. If I were in traffic or if there were pedestrians, my out of control truck could seriously injure or kill others.

That apparently was the correct answer.
            There's no question that's right. I would also argue that when you're carrying a "precious" payload (read: human passengers), then even more so, your responsibility and concerns for their safety and wellbeing needs to come first over some stray animal on the road. As much of a dog lover as I am, I would not evasively steer if the traffic conditions were such that there was even a remote chance of someone in my car getting hurt. Fortunately, that scenario has not happened to me yet.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

naturally as a truck driver you'd want to avoid any loss of life and would drive cautiously enough to foresee a dog wandering around traffic. But they bolt and they get in the way at times.

In my case the interview was about driving a truck carrying 4000 gallons of liquified petroleum gas or Propane. Hitting a dog would amount to a damaged front bumper. Hitting another vehicle head on could mean a blast crater 20-feet across and 10-feet deep with fatalities in the blast area and blown out windows up to a quarter mile away.

Hit the dog.

Comment

Hitting another vehicle head on could mean a blast crater 20-feet across and 10-feet deep with fatalities in the blast area and blown out windows up to a quarter mile away.

Hit the dog.
                It all depends on the conditions. On a country road with intermittent traffic when you're able to stop safely, hitting a roaming pet is roughly equivalent to the incident on the mainland a few years ago when in an argument with a female driver the other low-life driver grabbed her bichon-friese and tossed it into oncoming traffic.

Sure, be sensible. Don't put human lives at stake, but respect other life, too. Pets are not meant to be targets.

K
                Last edited by Kaonohi; May 17, 2010, 12:21 PM.
                ~ ~

Comment

that's the problem with big rigs. Stopping distances are far and if an animal darts onto the roadway, slamming on the brakes could mean a jack-knifed tractor-trailer, or in the case of a propane tanker, cause it to become unstable and begin to fishtail out of control. Even if there is no traffic nearby or pedestrians (ie country road), the driver's life can be put in jeopardy with an out of control rig.

Hit the dog.

Comment

that's the problem with big rigs. Stopping distances are far and if an animal darts onto the roadway, slamming on the brakes could mean a jack-knifed tractor-trailer, or in the case of a propane tanker, cause it to become unstable and begin to fishtail out of control. Even if there is no traffic nearby or pedestrians (ie country road), the driver's life can be put in jeopardy with an out of control rig.

Hit the dog.
                    If you get the attitude of "Hit the Dog," will you also "Hit the Kid?"

After all, it's one live vs. a potential dozen, right? Instead of swerving to avoid hitting the 4-year-old and hitting a car full of 40-year-olds, doesn't it make sense to save the four and sacrifice the one?

What's one kid, anyway?

An animal.... sure. It's different - human lives are not only more important, they are legislatively more important.

Bottom line:
                    Do what is the best for the world, and do what you can live with.

Avoid killing animals and people when you can, and numbers (quantities) count.

K
                    ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      If you get the attitude of "Hit the Dog," will you also "Hit the Kid?"

After all, it's one live vs. a potential dozen, right? Instead of swerving to avoid hitting the 4-year-old and hitting a car full of 40-year-olds, doesn't it make sense to save the four and sacrifice the one?

What's one kid, anyway?

An animal.... sure. It's different - human lives are not only more important, they are legislatively more important.

Bottom line:
                      Do what is the best for the world, and do what you can live with.

Avoid killing animals and people when you can, and numbers (quantities) count.

K
                      To answer your questions:

No. Because we're talking animals not kids. This thread is about animals so stop changing the subject.

Yes. But we're talking animal lives not human lives. This thread is about animals so stop changing the subject.

Yes. It does make sense to save more if it means losing one. But we're talking animal lives not human lives. This thread is about animals so stop changing the subject.

One kid is worth more than one dog. This thread is about animals so stop changing the subject.

Comment

One kid is worth more than one dog.
                        Um, I dont agree with that, buuuut to get back on topic, yes, cars are certainly the number one, numero uno, ichiban, way that pets are endangered.
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

This thread is about animals so stop changing the subject.
                          Craig,
                          Did you want me to stop changing the subject?? I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I think the point I was trying to get as was:

If there was no danger from braking, swerving, endangering people, would you still hit the dog? I understand your reasonable conditioning in your described situation, but your closing line was always "Hit the Dog."

Would you avoid hitting the dog if it's safe? Or mare you so conditioned you hit them no matter what?

Nothing personal, but that would explain some of the behaviour I've seen and experienced on O`ahu.

Naturally, we're not talking about animals that run under your tires unexpectedly - we're talking about animals that can be safely avoided. And since you are in the industry - driving BIG trucks - what kind of feedback do you get from co-workers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

K + pets
                          ~ ~

Comment

Agreed that cars--actually drivers--are the biggest threat to pets anywhere. Our dog is always on a very secure leash when not safely in the house. Really makes me crazy when I see people letting their dogs walk around loose. Whose fault is it going to be when they run into traffic?

Thanks for all the responses.

Cheers,
                            -Brian*

Comment

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/f...-pets-1455341/

Treating pets as living garbage disposals was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X