Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time Warner; New Software/Format

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    1003 KHON and 1008 KHNL are still not working.
    Confirmed! I watched the royal wedding on 1007 instead of 1008 because I wanted to see it in full screen mode.
    Tutu, I've noticed that sound level problem on various channels. And sometimes I turn on my system and get distortion on all channels; I have to turn off the cable then turn it back on and usually the distortion goes away.
    I've noticed sound levels minimally differ between channels but 1008 is...maximal! My remote really gets a work-out when I'm watching that channel.
    Here's another one that I'm curious if anyone else has seen. On KHON 1003, for the past several months (even before and after Navigator) most of the commercials run and then replay the last few seconds again before moving on. That happens to at least 75% of the KHON commercials. Anyone else seen that?
    I've not noticed that but will watch for it.

Comment

He went on to say they were working on the audio problems and hoped to have it fixed soon. Audio?!
      I actually did notice an audio thing last night on a couple of channels; lower tones were -really- loud, higher tones not so much. . . thought it was my TV. Regardless, it seemed to solve itself after an hour or so.
      Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Confirmed! I watched the royal wedding on 1007 instead of 1008 because I wanted to see it in full screen mode.
        [...]
        Finally called OTW today because I couldn't fix my screen display problem based on their instruction. Even with help from a real person I couldn't get back to full screen mode on a few HD channels. OTW guy said it was probably my TV but I've never even accessed the settings. That was done for me when the set was delivered. I made adjustments and now it's full screen but tops of heads are cut off. That didn't happen before which tells me it's an OTW problem, not a tv set problem. Frustrating.

After the power outage a little while ago it took the HD box about 10 minutes to reboot. I don't remember that happening pre-Navigator.

Comment

Right, the re-boot times are quite long with the new Navigator system.
          My repairman come over today and said they're having tons of picture problems and it's definitely their fault, not your TV, Tutu. The repairman said a lot of the people on the service phone lines aren't being told what's happening. Best thing is to have a repairman come to your place.
          Also, for problems with KHNL 1008, switch to 1908. That's an OTW secret. It won't show up on your channel guide, but just hit 1908 and it'll come on. Let me know, k?
          To temporarily change the picture size, hit the # button on the number pad; it also says Aspect above the button. Click it once or twice until the picture becomes square, not full width, and the image will be clear.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]
            Also, for problems with KHNL 1008, switch to 1908. That's an OTW secret. It won't show up on your channel guide, but just hit 1908 and it'll come on. Let me know, k?
            Yep, that works. I'll need to reset my screen display to test whether or not 1908 is full screen mode.
            To temporarily change the picture size, hit the # button on the number pad; it also says Aspect above the button. Click it once or twice until the picture becomes square, not full width, and the image will be clear.
            OTW guy had me try the # button (mine says HD/zoom). It didn't work. That's when he said it way my TV. I'll call OTW and make an appt. with a repairman. Thx for the heads up.

Comment

You're welcome, Tutu. Please keep us posted.
              Last night channel 1007 (KGMB) was off the air for a bit. I tried analog channel 007 and it was fine, so just the HD version was out.
              Also, a little after 9pm I checked my DVR list and it showed that it was recording Hawaii 5-0, then I checked the channel guide and it showed it wasn't recording it, and sure enough just now the DVR list showed it hadn't recorded it. Totally bizarre. And this is third time it's happened to Hawaii 5-0 since OTW changed to the Navigator system.
              I'm afraid to find out how much more can go wrong.

Comment

Ok, I switched my TV screen back to normal and here are some observations:

1908 is in full screen and appears to be HD
                1008 is not full screen and doesn't look much different than 8
                1003, 1005 are not full screen and appear to be HD
                1006, 1007 are full screen and look no different than 6 and 7

Other HD channels I watch are full screen but it just seems the HD quality has diminished across the board.

Time to call OTW!

Comment

Ok, I switched my TV screen back to normal and here are some observations:
                  1908 is in full screen and appears to be HD
                  1008 is not full screen and doesn't look much different than 8
                  1003, 1005 are not full screen and appear to be HD
                  1006, 1007 are full screen and look no different than 6 and 7
                  Tutu, remember that to see something clear and full-screen it has to have been recorded in High Definition. If not, you'll see the smaller (but clear) image on the screen. Check your list above a few separate times during the day and night.
                  For instance, right now 1003 IS full screen HD, but ith's the Oprah show and it's recorded in HD.
                  Right now 1005 IS full screen and HD; it's Don't Forget The Lyrics, which I think is a fairly new show and recorded in HD.
                  Right now 1006 is NOT full screen; it's Judge Judy; don't know if it's recorded in HD or not, but the guide does say it's a new episode.
                  Right now 1007 IS full screen; it's a year-old episode of Jeopardy.
                  1008 is the channel that has nonstop problems, thus OTW's 1908 secret.
                  What you'll also notice is that certain shows are full screen HD but some of the commercials are smaller screen non-HD, then back to the show in full screen HD.
                  Make sense?
                  (By the way, that's true of ALL the HD channels, not just the networks.)
                  I sure don't recall that happening before this new OTW software, but maybe it did and I just don't recall. Dunno.
                  Anyway, you can't go wrong having the OTW serviceman come make sure your TV is setup correctly for their new software.

Time to call OTW!
                  Oh yes!!!
                  Last edited by LikaNui; May 3, 2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Tutu, remember that to see something clear and full-screen it has to have been recorded in High Definition. [...]
                    Yes, I'm aware of that. OTW is in my building now fixing what I assumed to be storm damage but maybe others in this huge complex are having similar HD issues, too. I'll wait a day to call just in case everything returns to normal after OTW is finished.

Comment

Someone finally came on the line. They say there's nothing they can do and that a serviceman needs to come out here... the earliest time is A WEEK FROM TODAY.

Oceanic Time-Warner SUCKS.
                      I've worked at OTW, subscribed to Dish Network and now Directv. Directv is best by far for HD channels, whole-house DVR,ease of use and value for the price. And their customer service people are competent.

Comment

[...]OTW is in my building now fixing what I assumed to be storm damage but maybe others in this huge complex are having similar HD issues, too. I'll wait a day to call just in case everything returns to normal after OTW is finished.
                        Meant to update this a month ago! Whatever the reason and whatever OTW did, the problems were fixed except the low volume issue on 1008. I didn't need to have a technician come to my place. A system reboot still takes 10 minutes, tho', confirmed after a power outage a half hour ago.

Comment

I just thought of it, I just wished &/or wish that they have a format in their software to either change to what we like & to have the option to change over to the old format or to the new one one. I ~ think.
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                            OK, I changed the audio from HDMI to Dolby and now I have an on-screen variable volume control.
                            I believe this is the key to those who continue to have problems with Oceanic Time-Warner. For those super-techies out there (like certain people in my family) who are using a Windows Media Center-certified computer to watch cable, you will not get a signal for UH pay-per-view or any other “sports package” channel for that matter. The only way to see and hear these channels is plug directly into the cable box.

It seems that Oceanic Cable either through incompetence or through deliberate intent, refuses to grant digital rights management (DRM) to any channel that you pay a premium for. As a result, HDMI will not work under any scenario except a direct connection from the cable box to television. If there are any lawyers on this board, I would be curious as to whether this is a legal practice. If you paid for the channel, shouldn’t you be able to output it to any device for viewing/listening?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              If there are any lawyers on this board, I would be curious as to whether this is a legal practice. If you paid for the channel, shouldn’t you be able to output it to any device for viewing/listening?
                              Not a lawyer, but I've hung around more then is healthy. What does the fine print on the license agreement/service contract say?

Comment

Today I sent an email to Time Warner regarding the graphic that pops up all the time covering the bottom 20% of my picture on digital cable. It is so annoying. This is what I told them,

I HATE HATE HATE the thing that pops up on my picture called the "banner". What a stupid feature. It blocks about the bottom third of the picture. If I stop the picture and want to advance frame by frame, I must press a button to remove the BANNER as well as the advance button for EVERY frame. If I want to back up and see slo-mo, there is your idiot banner. Did you create this service and then try to find something to make it worse? For any use the banner may be it is cancelled 100,000 times by it's annoyance and inconvenience. I pay a lot of money for digital service and it sucks because of the banner. Perhaps you could charge more for an upgraded service without the idiot f**king banner.
                                You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X