Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Surfing

Originally posted by DKP View Post
    P.S. If anything serious does happen out there (I hope not), please don't sue the City and County (or lifeguards). Personal responsibility applies here ten-fold. Remember, lifeguards can't rush into EVERY situation as humans vs. the ocean is an unfair matchup, and many lifeguard stations don't have jetskis or other advanced gear. Plus, they aren't suicidal, just very brave. Money is stretched tighter than a yoga guru for the dept. and paychecks (they only start at around $15/hour...way underpaid in my opinion as they guard the lives...and the ocean is one of Hawai'i main selling point. I think they should get more of the tourism dollars that come through here.) They put themselves at risk during rescues...not to mention of skin cancer in the long run.

Tell your family not to sue either...please. I'm not saying this as a judgement of your character, I tell everyone this, so please don't take it personally. Also, I'm not a lifeguard...I just respect um. We have the best women and men in the world, and they should never be cut short.
    Speaking of Honolulu lifeguards, there's a new reality TV series on Court TV about them called "Beach Patrol: Honolulu". Those guys really know what they're doing and you're right, DKP, they aren't appreciated as much as they should be. I just hope people on CONUS who see the series come to understand that the waves around Hawai'i can sometimes be unpredictable, and when the signs are posted about rip currents and sharks, those signs are put up for a reason.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      I just hope people on CONUS who see the series come to understand that the waves around Hawai'i can sometimes be unpredictable, and when the signs are posted about rip currents and sharks, those signs are put up for a reason.

Miulang
      Exactly. Even on 'flat' days, there are strong currents in some form or another. I almost lost my girlfriend on a '1 occ. 2' day at a part of Sandy's because of the 'Moloka'i Express' (always running current) and surface currents from the wind. I was not there that day, just heard from her friend. If I were, I wouldn't have let her go out there without (or at least tried to explain it if she had here mind set on it). Unfortunately, with the sheer number of people at the beaches, lifeguards can't do this (they already have to focus on the water anyway).

I'm glad you mentioned the show. I hope it has the intended effect on visitors, for their and our sake.
      Sing with me, everyone!
      "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
      like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
      --------------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
      The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
      http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        Speaking of Honolulu lifeguards, there's a new reality TV series on Court TV about them called "Beach Patrol: Honolulu". Those guys really know what they're doing....

Miulang
        I enjoyed watching Beach Patrol. Especially, watching the part about Waikiki Walls! I am guilty of spending summers jumping from the wall and getting scrapes, bruises and cuts! As a teenager, you don't think of the dangers but as reported on the show ~ many have suffered serious injuries.

Walls will always be there. Young and Old alike will continue to jump even if it's illegal....just like on the show while the Life Guards were watching.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          As a teenager, you don't think of the dangers but as reported on the show ~ many have suffered serious injuries.
          Auntie Lynn
          Did you see the 'new' structure at the end of da Wall. A friend of mine does double backflips off the top of that...even at low tide sometimes! Not as bad as Spitting Caves but still gnarly!

I wish people wouldn't fish there during the years they aren't supposed to. Fish stocks gotta recover somehow. So manini, da 'U'U (Menpachi).
          Last edited by DKP; July 26, 2007, 01:41 PM.
          Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Read what Lee Cataluna wrote at this link in today's Advertiser, including:

"A new "reality" series shot in Hawai'i mixes real footage of lifeguards doing their usual duties with jazzed-up voice-over descriptions. "Beach Patrol: Honolulu" portrays every case of swallowed water, every reef scrape and every kid who floats too close to the breakwater as a terrifying brush with death."
            (...)
            "The creators of "Beach Patrol: Honolulu," which is airing at various times this month on Court TV, may have realized at some point that, thankfully, nothing too extreme happens on an average day at the beach, but they were bound and determined not to let that get in the way of telling an exciting tale of near-disaster for beachgoers. It's not exactly fiction, but it's exaggerated, hyped, over-the-top to the point of being laughable. It makes the real work of the Ocean Safety personnel seem trivial and small."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I haven't seen the show yet...but why do producers feel the need to 'Holly-fy' everything 'reality' on tv? Sometimes the un-plasticated versions of stories are the best told
              Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Sometimes the un-plasticated versions of stories are the best told.
                Not in this case.

I've actually seen the show. There's nothing very exciting about box jellyfish stings and obese haole tourists getting caught in the shorebreak at Sandys.

The fact that you can't drink alcohol at Hawaii beaches also cuts down on the entertainment possibilities.

Oh, and Chicken Little? "Beach Patrol" isn't a new show. It's the new season that brings the program to Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by kylertz View Post
                  hey i was just wondering how difficult it is to learn how to surf? I've never even been to the ocean so it would be all new to me.
                  I took my first lesson many years ago on the "Gold Coast" of Waikiki; I rode a small beginner wave my first lesson; not a big deal, but I remember how great it was. Just be patient, and you'll surf too
                  Last edited by Vanguard; July 26, 2007, 04:36 PM.

Comment

http://www.surfline.com/surfology/su...borl_index.cfm

Take EVERY PAGE OF THIS as if it were the Bible! I swear, I just surfed Walls yesterday, and it was a circus! If you don't, you put yourself and others in severe danger. You will most likely piss ALOT of people off as well (who may already be stressing b/c of life issues and not getting waves to begin with).

I cannot overstress the importance of 'The Bill of Rights and Lefts'. This applies to EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD, NOT JUST HAWAI'I.

Good luck...and make sure you have med insurance (I've a total of 215 stitches in my body at some time or another...not to mention broken bones, other lacerations, near drownings and near neck breakings), and if I didn't have good insurance, I'd be living on da beach. Snowboarding and wakeboarding should give you a nice advance on the balance part.

Also, do OCEAN swimming (like Miulang suggested)...which I know is obvious but some tend to forget that it is radically different than in pools. Spear diving is, to me, the best training (aside from running underwater on the ocean floor with big rocks...the big lagoon at Ko'olina has a few sitting underwater that people use if you are interested).

Kumu is good (cockaroach) to learn, but can get crowded on the weekends. Be cool with everyone and you'll get the same treatment.

Ewa is also good...but remember...everywhere there but White Plains (but sometimes even there) is a regular spot for shark watching (I saw a total of 8 in my last two sessions at Hau bush) Again, be calm and cool and you should get the same treatment from the real kama'aina (hammerheads, grays, some tigers). There hasn't been an attack there for a long time...so don't sweat it. Make the decision to take the risk before you go in the water, because if you do sweat it, they may come close to you.

Finally...don't expect a warm welcome from everybody...especially the better surfers...regardless of your ethnicity. We have seen exponential increases in crowds since Blue Crush came out, and many longtime waveriders are taking massive 'pay cuts' in the amounts of waves they are getting now, at spots that were just until recently, empty and secret (thanks alot wannasurf.com) It's changed from outer island style to Los Angeles style in my lifetime (and I'm only 25), needless to say, not everyone has adjusted to the congestion.

Call it greed or call it the natural effect of people not getting enough space/waves, but it is there. Be respectful, and there shouldn't be many problems...but remember, the spots (especially around O'ahu) aren't like church. It gets REALLY ugly sometimes (I've seen women get punched out for giving attitude to guys who they cut off). In those cases, it was the womens' fault...but I would never go that far.

Again, and again...

Never drop in. If you do...and get yelled at...good for you. If you get in someones way while they are shredding a wave and they yell at you...good for you (paddle in the channels and on the side of waves, NEVER straight out from where your last wave ended...even if that means making a big U turn parallel to the lineup and creating a longer paddle for you. Even pros do this). It would all be YOUR fault for being in the wrong place in the lineup...and you'd be contributing to chaos.

And again, good luck.
                    Best advice yet. E-Karma to you, D.

As for the link to SURFOLOGY, all those rules should be written/printed, and glassed in on the nose of all "First" boards for people. It would solve so many common issues in the lineup.

I am glad this thread was bumped. I am very much looking forward to getting in the water of HI. I have been wave riding for 22 years. It is my therapy, and cheaper then a shrink. It is a lifestyle that I can live with. I have however been a little concerned about the line up. I know that the local scene there is FAR different than any of that I have experienced, be it on the East Coast, Europe, or Central America. I am for sure going to be more of a spectator for a while 'till I learn the vibe and the way things are done in the HI Lineups.

If you learn to surf, you will more then likely be hooked for life, so be prepared.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

It gets REALLY ugly sometimes (I've seen women get punched out for giving attitude to guys who they cut off). In those cases, it was the womens' fault...but I would never go that far.
                      Reminds me of Johnny Boy Gomes punching Jodie Cooper in the face some years back on the North Shore..."If you act like a man, I'll treat you like a man."
                      Last edited by Keanu; July 26, 2007, 06:27 PM.

Comment

wow intense!

I always thought, "you can't beat women.........it's a crime"

I guess, all is fair in love and surf?
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                          wow intense!

I always thought, "you can't beat women.........it's a crime"

I guess, all is fair in love and surf?
                          There is no chivalry in a dog eat dog lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                            There is no chivalry in a dog eat dog lineup.
                            There used to be...in the good ol' days!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              There used to be...in the good ol' days!
                              The good ol' days are long past...Blame the producers of bogus surf movies like Blue Crush, and surf shows on networks such as MTV. Blame surf companies like Quiksilver that bank from all the interest that surf movies and surf shows have generated. When someone from Nebraska all of a sudden has an urged to "surf", something is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Read what Lee Cataluna wrote at this link in today's Advertiser, including:

"A new "reality" series shot in Hawai'i mixes real footage of lifeguards doing their usual duties with jazzed-up voice-over descriptions. "Beach Patrol: Honolulu" portrays every case of swallowed water, every reef scrape and every kid who floats too close to the breakwater as a terrifying brush with death."
                                (...)
                                "The creators of "Beach Patrol: Honolulu," which is airing at various times this month on Court TV, may have realized at some point that, thankfully, nothing too extreme happens on an average day at the beach, but they were bound and determined not to let that get in the way of telling an exciting tale of near-disaster for beachgoers. It's not exactly fiction, but it's exaggerated, hyped, over-the-top to the point of being laughable. It makes the real work of the Ocean Safety personnel seem trivial and small."
                                I've watched the show, and yeah the voice over style and hyper editing is a bit over the top. I like watching for the little stuff they put in, like the UH students snipping off the jellyfish tentacles for research....but then I'm a science and medical type geek.

There was one episode that aired recently that really annoyed me...the one where the little girl got her ankle messed up and there was no adult around, just her 12 year old brother. The kids were dropped off by granny, and mommy couldn't get out of her own way to deal with it...WTF??

Anyone know if there's a real life time limit to when the cops/child services get called in when there's a situation like that? The editing made it seem like the kid was there quite awhile before an adult family member was willing to be located...but in all actuality it could have been only 5-15 minutes real time skewed to hours in TV time.

Still...The lifeguards aren't your personal babysitter. They ain't mindreaders either, they can't mind meld with you to let you know where your kid is at. What if the kid got snatched instead of hurt, the lifeguards might never have know they were there alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X