Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

Isaac Choy

That's the fellows name. He authored the bill that would make it easier for the government to collect sales tax on our internet purchases. Let's get the names of all the people behind this movement out there so we can vote them out of office.

Saw the story in the Staradvertiser about this. Personally I like to pay some taxes. I realize that some taxes are necessary. But this is in the category I call,"Let's see if we can make them bleed a little more".
    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Re: Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

I purchase a number of things on the Internet. I do not mind paying sales taxes on those purchases. Overall, taxes have never been lower. Consequently, many necessary programs are being eliminated, our infrastructure is falling apart, and our grandchildren are being put under a mountain of future debt as a result.

This legislation makes sense to me.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I order a lot of things online. I wouldn't object to being charged a sales tax on them - it doesn't amount to that much extra cost. The thing I refuse to pay is shipping costs. If they don't ship for free - I don't buy from that website.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm surprised this didn't happen a decade ago. I, too, am ok with it.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          The thing I refuse to pay is shipping costs. If they don't ship for free - I don't buy from that website.
          I agree with you there Ana. Many companies use shipping as an additional profit center.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I am perfectly OK with tax on internet purchases. Yeah, shoulda been done long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              [...]The thing I refuse to pay is shipping costs. If they don't ship for free - I don't buy from that website.
              Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I agree with you there Ana. Many companies use shipping as an additional profit center.
              I'm ok with paying for shipping if the combined price of the product & shipping is still less than I'd pay for the product, alone, elsewhere. What ticks me off is when a company or individual refuses to ship to Hawaii. Can someone please enlighten me as to the rationalization behind that? I found a used book I wanted on eBay...no shipping to Alaska or Hawaii. A BOOK! </OT>!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                What ticks me off is when a company or individual refuses to ship to Hawaii. Can someone please enlighten me as to the rationalization behind that? I found a used book I wanted on eBay...no shipping to Alaska or Hawaii. A BOOK! </OT>!!!
                Tutu, many companies have a flat rate for shipping. Shipping to HI or AK costs more and they don't want to go to the administrative hassle of having two shipping structures. I know, it doesn't make sense from a customer service standpoint, but in today's business climate, customer service takes a backseat to profit.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Matapule. I know it can cost more to ship to Hawaii but it fries me when people refuse to ship to Hawaii even if I'm willing to pay more. I often wonder if those are the same people who consider Hawaii to be a foreign country...with it's own currency...tourists in need of visas and shots!

Comment

If I order a book or a spark plug from some guy in Wisconsin and he mails it to me...I don't think the state should stand by doing nothing and demand a cut. I think that is simply government greed.

Noticed this was in the SA as one of those polls and it was 85/15 in agreement with me.

BTW. All you people that think it is a good idea? The state already says you should pay this sales tax. Just curious does anyone currently, voluntarily, pay the state tax on your internet purchases like they say you should? Really?

The reason it wasn't done years ago is because the feds protected internet transactions when the web was young to stimulate web commerce.
                    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                      [...]
                      BTW. All you people that think it is a good idea? The state already says you should pay this sales tax. Just curious does anyone currently, voluntarily, pay the state tax on your internet purchases like they say you should? Really?[...]
                      I wasn't aware of this so, no, I don't currently pay that tax voluntarily. Even if I was aware of it, web site check-outs calculate automatically. How would I or anyone else voluntarily pay the tax without contacting the vendor by phone, explaining the situation and asking if they'd do a manual calculation and accept a credit card over the phone? Too much work for all concerned.

I admit I've been just fine with saving 4.712% on my internet purchases! But, I expected this tax to hit long ago so, therefore, I've anticipated it. I didn't state I thought it was a "good idea"; rather, that I was ok with it. I think we're lucky that we got as many years as we did, tax free.

Comment

The states law on tax for internet purchases wont hold up in federal court and they know it... they are trying to slip this thru hoping no one will fight it. the supreme court has said that unless a company has a physical presence in that state they need not collect and pay sales tax to that state. individual state are trying to create a compact that would allow for tax collection but vendors have threatened to exclude those states for their sales, citing the supreme court decision. amazon has left some markets and returned after the states have backed down... this happened here when lingle was gov and it will probably happen again with abercrumbly.
                        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

If I order a book or a spark plug from some guy in Wisconsin and he mails it to me...I don't think the state should stand by doing nothing and demand a cut.
                          How does that book or spark plug reach your mailbox? Does it travel to your home over any roads? Who maintains those roads?

Who runs the school systems that teach you how to read, so that you are inclined to order a book from an online retailer?

Who pays for a system of consumer protection, in case you find a problem with that spark plug?

Who provides protection and security for the transport of those goods from one state to another?

An excellent discussion of these points can be found here.

Comment

BTW. All you people that think it is a good idea? The state already says you should pay this sales tax. Just curious does anyone currently, voluntarily, pay the state tax on your internet purchases like they say you should? Really?
                            I didn't say I thought it was a good idea. I said I wouldn't mind if I had to pay tax on my internet purchases. and no, I don't ever voluntarily pay any tax!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X