X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Well then...how 'bout you pointing that out by doing a follow up to that letter?
    Or how about GlossyP doing that?
    (And I'm not sure what your meant.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Or how about GlossyP doing that?
      (And I'm not sure what your meant.)
      How about both of you submitting letters?! More impact that way. Oh, and nothing untoward or negative meant by the , other than a lighthearted wink!

Comment

Oh, and nothing untoward or negative meant by the , other than a lighthearted wink!
        That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss something that sailed right over my head.
        Thanks for the clarification.
        Now, back to my Pit Bull Man duties, already in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
          I'm so annoyed at the strikers that I actually have sympathy for the driver who "nudged" one at the Waimalu/Pearl City Times last week. We go to that shopping center for the vet, the noodle shop and the supermarket. They do that same old draggin' their sorry a**es and blocking access while giving drivers stink eye. There are three ingress/egress to the shopping center (the one at the makai end isn't anywhere near the supermarket, but they block it as well) - I hope Times hires a whole bunch of new folks. I'm going to go out of my way to support Times and it's because of the way the strikers are behaving. And, what is up with HPD? Are they there just to make sure we don't run the picket-carriers over, or are they actually supposed to be helping manage the traffic?
          I support the strikers only because of the issues involved. As for the picketing, once a vehicle approaches the picketers have two or three minutes to make way for the vehicle to enter the property, it is HPD's responsibilty to enforce this otherwise the picketers will continue walking. I know this because I was involved with two strikes while I was employed. Any strike is a losing propostion, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotts do. My sympathy goes out to all involved.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
            As for the picketing, once a vehicle approaches the picketers have two or three minutes to make way for the vehicle to enter the property, it is HPD's responsibilty to enforce thisotherwise the picketers will continue walking. I know this because I was involved with two strikes while I was employed.
            Are you saying there's some kind of law that says picketers can block traffic for 2 or 3 minutes? I assume that's what you mean, since you say HPD is "responsible" to "enforce" that, and the only thing a cop can "enforce" is a law.
            Can you please provide a link to that law? I'm really curious about this. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
              I support the strikers only because of the issues involved.
              And what are the issues involved? The reported stories I've heard suggest the workers are not resonable.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                A little late maybe, but...... for the future....... I always keep a can of fix-a-flat in my car. I am forever driving on almost bald tires (how does that happen?) Fix-a-flat has saved my butt on more than one occasion.
                The old Fix a Flat came with propane as it's propellant. Meaning when a tire man whacked the rim (steel rim) the potential for an explosion was very real.

The new Fix a Flat doesn't come with a flammable propellant but that doesn't mean old stock isn't still on the shelves.

One problem with Fix a Flat in general is it pretty much renders your rim unusable because of all the foam left inside and it won't cure really badly dented rims.

I keep one of those 12-vdc impact wrenches and am thinking of picking up one of those 12-vdc motor powered scissors jacks. It takes a bit more time than fix a flat but it get's you up and running faster than the stock OEM crap the dealer supplies you.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Are you saying there's some kind of law that says picketers can block traffic for 2 or 3 minutes? I assume that's what you mean, since you say HPD is "responsible" to "enforce" that, and the only thing a cop can "enforce" is a law.
                  Can you please provide a link to that law? I'm really curious about this. Thanks!
                  I doubt that it's a law and I didn't mean to imply that. I am only expressing what I have experienced while waking the picket lines for three months, way back in 1984. We were told that once a vehicle approached we had two to three minutes to clear the entry way. The police officer would then tell us to stop and allow the vehicles to enter. Yesterday while at the stop light on Liliha and Vineyard the police officer did just that. He stopped the cars until the last guy on the line reached the end of the driveway then stopped the picketers and allowed the cars to enter. LikaNui please excuse me if my choice of words are wrong and imply the wrong thing. So I guess what I meant is that HPD is there to be sure that the picketers stop walking and allow the vehicles to enter. Where the two to three minutes came from I cannot say, all I know is that is what we were told back then. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    And what are the issues involved? The reported stories I've heard suggest the workers are not resonable.
                    You can either read the Dec. 18, 2007 issue of the Star Bulletin or go to www.hawaiiteamsters.com and read it there.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I keep one of those 12-vdc impact wrenches and am thinking of picking up one of those 12-vdc motor powered scissors jacks. It takes a bit more time than fix a flat but it get's you up and running faster than the stock OEM crap the dealer supplies you.
                      Agree with you on that one. I rotated my tires recently and those wheels have not been touched since they rolled off the assembly line (to the best of my knowledge), and I tried using the OEM tools provided in the trunk, could not budge a single bolt. I hate to be trying to do that on the side of a road with a flat in the middle of the night. I had to resort to using an impact wrench to loosen those bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        The jack that came with my car is fine. For removing the nuts, I picked up one of those large wrenches that are shaped like a cross (or an X ). It gives you good leverage on the nuts and I think it's more reliable then a powered version. If you have to use an impact wrench on the wheels, then the nuts are probably too tight and may be at risk of warping something (like your rotors). The correct torque for wheel nuts is surprising low.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          The jack that came with my car is fine. For removing the nuts, I picked up one of those large wrenches that are shaped like a cross (or an X ). It gives you good leverage on the nuts and I think it's more reliable then a powered version. If you have to use an impact wrench on the wheels, then the nuts are probably too tight and may be at risk of warping something (like your rotors). The correct torque for wheel nuts is surprising low.

But tell that to the guys who install, rotate and service my tires. I know how to change a flat, but last time I had one I had to wait for rescue on H-2 and pay someone to do it because the nuts were on so tight that I couldn't budge them.
                          Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

Must admit I rely heavily on AAA and have for about 3 decades. It more than pays for itself every year. Just one tow from Makaha to town makes the membership worthwhile. And, just knowing that a rescue is but a phone call away makes it...priceless! Oh wait, that's Mastercard! Even if I was skilled at changing a tire I wouldn't do it alone at night.

My car gets 4 used, uncool rims and 4 new tires next Wednesday. Even tho' I was totally uneducated about rims when I bought my car in 2006, I really liked how cool they made my car look. Well, that, and my daughter, when she saw the car for the 1st time, muttered, "Oh my God"!!! Oh well, the new, "fatter" (normal) tires will withstand the potholes better. It still pi$$es me off that the condition of our highways and byways has forced me into this unplanned expenditure.

Comment

Must admit I rely heavily on AAA and have for about 3 decades. It more than pays for itself every year. Just one tow from Makaha to town makes the membership worthwhile. And, just knowing that a rescue is but a phone call away makes it...priceless! Oh wait, that's Mastercard! Even if I was skilled at changing a tire I wouldn't do it alone at night.
                              I agree. If it can't be fixed with the fix-a-flat, I'd call someone (probably my husband). If that didn't work, I'd probably ........ cry?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterbess View Post
                                But tell that to the guys who install, rotate and service my tires. I know how to change a flat, but last time I had one I had to wait for rescue on H-2 and pay someone to do it because the nuts were on so tight that I couldn't budge them.
                                Yep, I rarely see tire shops tighten the bolts on a wheel with a torque wrench set to the proper setting for the specific car. More often, they just blast them tight with their impact wrenches.

Comment

Working...
                                X