Princess Ka'iulani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Princess Ka'iulani

Saw this movie today at the Ward Theatre.

Some things didn't make sense like the princess's father not introducing the Davis family to her when they arrived at their home in England. At first I didn't know if they were related or not and it took a while for Clive and Alice's name to be said in the movie.

I was remembering that a subtitle came out and said it was 1889 when Princess Ka'iulani threw the switch to light the city of Honolulu and then later on when the King was forced to sign a document that piece of paper said 1887.

Comment

Re: Princess Kaiulani

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Just to put it into a little bit of perspective...it's not in nationwide release. It's in limited release and has averaged 40 theaters during the past month. Keeping that in mind, I don't know if $600k is good, bad or somewhere in between.
      I'll be like the outspoken child in The Emperor's New Clothes and simply call it as I see it. This movie is a box office flop. Even with the bar for success being set low with its relatively modest production budget of $9 million, Princess Kaiulani hasn't even recouped a tenth of that amount in domestic gross nearly a month after the release date.

And yes, the movie was a commercial dud, even with the limited screening taken into account. Princess Kaiulani grossed $186,995 in 33 theaters on its opening weekend. As a comparison, Paranormal Activity (which was not given a nationwide release in its first few weeks) was able to gross $532,242 in 33 theaters on its second weekend.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        I'll be like the outspoken child in The Emperor's New Clothes[...]
        You were certainly more tactful than Bob Jones!

Comment

You were certainly more tactful than Bob Jones!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LM5MKSZwgQ
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

WB...wotchu talkin' about?!
            Why they no talk pidgin in da movie?

Comment

If I had to hazard a guess pidgen came about because of the different languages used by the various laborers or the working class of people in Hawaii.

In this movie it mostly shown the noble class of people in Hawaii which they either spoke English or Hawaiian (with subtitles shown).

Comment

In case anyone is interested...this, from the movie's producers:

‘Iolani Palace will host a panel discussion on the Princess Ka‘iulani film this Friday at 7 pm in the Kana’ina Building on the grounds of ‘Iolani Palace. The event is free and open to the public. The panel includes producers of the film, and film historian DeSoto Brown, and freelance historical researcher Nanette Napoleon. In addit...ion, Blaine Kamalani Kia and Sonny Kalua will sing the song “Lei No Ka‘iulani,” which is featured in the film and Leo Anderson Akana will talk about her role as Queen Lili‘uokalani.

Date: Friday, July 9

Time: 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Place: ‘Iolani Palace, Kana’ina Building (Old Archives).

Comment

What? Chinky Mahoe won't be in attendance? Maybe the folks at the Palace are paying attention.

Comment

Hope someone can give us a report of how it went...

I'm working so couldn't go.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I had another commitment so couldn't go, either.

Comment

Seen the DVD of this movie being sold at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Apparently, the DVD also includes a background documentary that is supposed to be rather informative. (I am using such conditional language because I have not seen the documentary itself.)

I'd be interested in the documentary - but I have no desire to see the movie itself a second time.

Comment

Just saw it on DVD last night. It was ok, only because I was from Hawaii, but more for a historical learning purpose. I can see how mainland people would not care for it. I glanced at all 3 pages, and also a websearch, and didn't find the answers to my questions.

Questions:

1. I understand more and more people are learning to read and write in Hawaiian. What about back then? Did people (Hawaiians) really write letters in Hawaiian? I would assume no one taught them that. Meaning, Hawaiians would know the spoken language, but did many know the written language? Ok, maybe Royalty, but how about the Commoners, such as the two twin boys? (wrote a letter to her while she was at school.).

2. Did she really have a love interest in England? Where they really planned to get married? Did he really followed her back to Hawaii?

3. Her father. I understand they want to portray her as a strong woman. But it seems like the father was sort of a background person, like a member of her staff. Meaning, she may be of royal blood, but I would think he would still be like a father. And she would still be like a daughter. No matter what, The Princesses would still be his little girl. I didn't get that sense.

I understand how "Hollywood" does things to make a movie. Can someone educate me on how it really was?

Comment

I missed this when it came around here (SF Bay Area), but thanks for the reminder...gonna netflix 'um. The missus is always up for a good costume drama, so I think I can draw her in for movie night.

Comment

Working...
                              X