Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD's online DUI pics

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
    of Hawaiian residents. Shunning someone who is "presumed innocent until proven guilty" was HPD's first legal and moral error.
    You have brought up an interesting dilemma. The public wants to know who is the "suspect" when the neighbor woman is stabbed. They want to know who is the "suspect" in a DUI that results in a death. They want to know who is the "suspect" when someone in an official capacity is charged with a crime [say, a politician is charged with embezzling]. The newspapers usually report the names, which is what the public wants.

So, when someone is charged with a DUI, what is the difference between the HPD putting those names online, and the newspapers putting suspects names of other crimes in articles (which also goes online)?

Where is the line drawn between "presumed innocent until proven guilty", (thus the right to privacy), and the right for the public to know who is charged with crimes (which is information that is available to the public through the police blotter)?

A man tosses a baby off a freeway. We [the public] want to know who the suspect is. An man is charged with a DUI. Should the public NOT know?

Or, is it that the HPD was running the site? Is that the objection?

Just wondering aloud here.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

While some people want to stuff their head in the sand like an ostrich when it came to the impact that the "DUI Wednesdays" Facebook page had in HPD's closing of their DUI mugshot listing, others who have a better grasp on the topic are able to put 2 and 2 together.

Take it away, Star-Bulletin:

Honolulu police are not saying why they closed the curtain on a Web page full of drunken-driving suspects two months before the pilot program's final act. However, the copy-and-paste of the suspects' photos to the popular Facebook site on the Internet brought legal questions into play. Those should be addressed in any review of the pilot program, and shared with the public.
      HPD can stay mum all they want about why the pilot program is ending at this juncture. But I strongly suspect that this isn't the last we've seen of this program. That's what a pilot/trial test is all about. There's supposed to be an evaluation at the end to see what worked well and what needs fixing. So anyone who wants to imagine a triumph over the supposed demise of HPD's DUI Wall of Shame, whoop it up while you can, because your celebration might be short-lived.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 12, 2010, 09:28 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Maybe a compromise would be to not show photos but just list the names like how it is done here on the Big Island in the police report column on the back page of the A Section of the daily rag.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Maybe a compromise would be to not show photos but just list the names like how it is done here on the Big Island in the police report column on the back page of the A Section of the daily rag.
          I don't know about all of the Big Island papers, but I googled West Hawaii Today and it gives convictions (not arrests) for DUIs. Maybe that is the problem with the HPD site, it gave arrests (prior to any convictions).
          http://westhawaiitoday.com/articles/...al/local10.txt
          Actually, when it comes right down to it, there is less "entertainment factor" in just a name and written blurb than in a photo. That mug shot of the guy having his head held up was much more compelling than just some typed words. I'm betting that way more people looked at the HPD site just to see the goofy mug shots. (Drunks do tend to look rather goofy .... )

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            So anyone who wants to imagine a triumph over the supposed demise of HPD's DUI Wall of Shame, whoop it up while you can, because your celebration might be short-lived.
            What happened to our culture of you make A when you make shame?

Comment

I think the difference here is that in a major crime, we find out who is guilty or innocent. Not so with DUI! It's not going to be 'widely reported' when someone is found innocent of DUI.

The result is that people who now the suspect casually (his/her employer, prospective employers, etc), never knowing they were found innocent, will assume the people are driving drunk. This can affect their lives for years.

Maybe if they had a companion site: DUI suspects arrested and found INNOCENT! it would be fair - but we know they won't do that.

You might bring up the fact that most DUI's are convicted, but some are acquitted - I know of one, and I don't have statistics, but they are there.

This reminds me of the stoning of prostitutes in the courtyard. Barbarous!

I think the public has a right to know when they are found guilty.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              You have brought up an interesting dilemma. The public wants to know who is the "suspect" when the neighbor woman is stabbed. They want to know who is the "suspect" in a DUI that results in a death. They want to know who is the "suspect" when someone in an official capacity is charged with a crime [say, a politician is charged with embezzling]. The newspapers usually report the names, which is what the public wants.

So, when someone is charged with a DUI, what is the difference between the HPD putting those names online, and the newspapers putting suspects names of other crimes in articles (which also goes online)?

Where is the line drawn between "presumed innocent until proven guilty", (thus the right to privacy), and the right for the public to know who is charged with crimes (which is information that is available to the public through the police blotter)?

A man tosses a baby off a freeway. We [the public] want to know who the suspect is. An man is charged with a DUI. Should the public NOT know?

Or, is it that the HPD was running the site? Is that the objection?

Just wondering aloud here.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                I think the public has a right to know when they are found guilty.
                I agree. Put up their pictures once they are convicted, not just arrested. [Aren't there judges on the mainland who have made convicted people stand on street corners with signs or something like that?]

Comment

when people are arrested for DUI they have usually failed a breath test. I think that is a pretty definite test for whether someone is guilty or not. Its not quite the same as someone who is accused of burglary for example. This might depend on an eye witness statement or just suspicion. But, I don't think they give breath tests for burglary!

If someone is arrested for DUI - they should be ashamed. They could have killed someone by driving drunk. They could injure or maim someone by driving drunk. There is NO excuse for driving drunk!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It's emotional to watch the news when the victim's family stand up and talk to the defendant in court. All they can say is how stupid the defendant is for driving while drunk. You just want to throw the book at the defendant.

Comment

Good or bad I think one should ask themselves if it were their own pictures being plastered publicly, how would one feel then?

One can say, "well I won't put myself in that situation in the first place" And that's fine, however there are occasions where one will put themselves in a bad spot even when they were trying not to. Sh*t happens!

And when that happens you can defend yourself in court and win, but the real damage has already been done.

Honestly, I believe a public announcement of one's arrest should only occur after a conviction has been ruled.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        I don't think it helped that some idiot on Facebook made a DUI Wednesday page. The names and pic of the offenders were only supposed to be viewable to the public for 24 hours, but that page kept the pics online for way past that.

I am not sure if the person who made that Facebook page is a member of a local car enthusiast forum, forumshawaii.net

There is a special sub-forum on their site that is dedicated to DUI Wednesdays.

Pretty embarassing if you ask me, makes our State look like it's populated by a bunch of morons.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Honestly, I believe a public announcement of one's arrest should only occur after a conviction has been ruled.
                          Some medicatons also have alcohol. Combined with a glass of wine with lunch, and you may be DUI via breath, but not blood. Able to drive, but not pass a breath test.
                          INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY! It's in our constitution!

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                          Pretty embarassing if you ask me, makes our State look like it's populated by a bunch of morons.
                          Look like? Do you mean 'expose?'

KKKKKKKKKv
                          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                            Hey hey hey...stop talking about our elected officials like that!

Comment

Got a letter from ACLU (sorry Bobinator, I know you think they are part of the NWO).

"This is in response to your letter to the American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii (ACLU) requesting assistance.

(...) Thank you for bringing to our attention this matter, and for advocating for everyone's civil rights. As you may know, the practice of posting the photos of those arrested for DUI has been discontinued. (...)

No word as to whether it was through their actions or attentions, but I'm glad it happened.

Post instead those CONVICTED of DUI - that's not a violation of their civil rights.

K!
                              ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                Post instead those CONVICTED of DUI - that's not a violation of their civil rights.
                                Yep, that would be a reasonable and "within rights" approach.

Comment

Working...
                                X