Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid tattoos...

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
    Gee, Bobinator, I really did think about it. I had my first tattooing done at age 30. And I doubt you would "really like to know" or you wouldn't have been so condescending in your initial remark.

Among other things they're a celebration of mortality. Can you grasp that or is it beyond you? I'd really like to know.

<snarkinator disengage>
    Sinjin-

I know a lot of people with tattoos. Many of them are over the age of 55. I have yet to come across an old timer that was glad he got a tattoo. In fact, most of the ones I've talked to deeply regret it. And, when you get old, they just get blurred and faded, and it looks not-so-good.

I'm in my late 30's, and I can tell you, my attitudes and outlook on life has changed over the years, and will continue to mature with age and acquired wisdom. Knowing this, I speculate that most, if not all, of your attitudes will change as well. And the attitude which caused one to get a tattoo will not be the same. But like Susie just said, we'll (you) have to live with consequences.

Getting a tattoo is like wearing the same clothes, or having the same hair style the rest of your life. I don't think anyone wants that. Like jewelry, tattoos also creates an image of being a certain type of person. I mean, if I saw a gal wearing tons of Hawaiian bracelets and smoking cigarettes, I'm thinking "tita". These things are a fact of life. The things we do to and for our bodies is all about image. And doing something as extreme as being poked hundreds of times with a needle and ink to make a statement, says a lot about a person. If you want to carve out an image for the rest of your life, that's your choice. But I beleive it's in everyone's best interest to not do this.

However, like some of you others, I have a distant measure of fascination and enjoyed watching that tattoo reality show, "Inked". There was one guy who wanted an image of his dying little girl tattooed on his shoulder so he would always remember her as she is/was. She had been in a coma since birth, so the tattoed image resembled him carrying her on his shoulder as he always did. I thought that was very touching.

Another thing, if you're Christian, you shouldn't be getting tattoos. The Bible says not to do it.

Comment

Just because you should treat your body like a temple, doesn't mean you can't paint the walls.

Different strokes for different folks. I respect your opinion, and if they aren't for you, then so be it. But, I feel like me getting a tattoo doesn't label me as anything, like standing in a garage doesn't make me a car. Tattoos are an ancient art form, in some cultures a right of passage, and something that has been a part of humanity and all races creeds and colors since pre-biblical times.

And you know what, the staggering amount of people in my age group(30+) getting tattooed will all age along with one another, so we will all be sitting in the nursing home looking at our sagging, faded, eye sores together.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
        I know a lot of people with tattoos. Many of them are over the age of 55. I have yet to come across an old timer that was glad he got a tattoo. In fact, most of the ones I've talked to deeply regret it. And, when you get old, they just get blurred and faded, and it looks not-so-good.
        Thirty years ago you couldn't get the quality of work done you can today. Even so, some will regret, some won't. Best not to be in a hurry or drunk when making decisions of this sort. And so what if your tattoo doesn't look so good anymore? It'll match the rest of you.

I'm in my late 30's, and I can tell you, my attitudes and outlook on life has changed over the years, and will continue to mature with age and acquired wisdom. Knowing this, I speculate that most, if not all, of your attitudes will change as well. And the attitude which caused one to get a tattoo will not be the same.
        Getting tattooed isn't always about rebellion borne of immaturity. People who like to play it safe often characterize their timidity and need for conventional approval as virtue.

Getting a tattoo is like wearing the same clothes, or having the same hair style the rest of your life.
        No, it's not. It's bigger than that for many of us. It's just beyond you.

Like jewelry, tattoos also creates an image of being a certain type of person. I mean, if I saw a gal wearing tons of Hawaiian bracelets and smoking cigarettes, I'm thinking "tita". These things are a fact of life. The things we do to and for our bodies is all about image. And doing something as extreme as being poked hundreds of times with a needle and ink to make a statement, says a lot about a person. If you want to carve out an image for the rest of your life, that's your choice. But I beleive it's in everyone's best interest to not do this.
        The fact that you or anyone else might apply some stereotype to me says more about you/them than me.

Another thing, if you're Christian, you shouldn't be getting tattoos. The Bible says not to do it.
        I couldn't care less. But doesn't the Bible also say something about not judging others lest ye be judged? Why don't you work on that.
        Last edited by sinjin; May 21, 2008, 10:42 AM.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Thirty years ago you couldn't get the quality of work done you can today. Even so, some will regret, some won't. Best not to be in a hurry or drunk when making decisions of this sort. And so what if your tattoo doesn't look so good anymore? It'll match the rest of you.

Getting tattooed isn't always about rebellion borne of immaturity. People who like to play it safe often characterize their timidity and need for conventional approval as virtue.

The fact that you or anyone else might apply some stereotype to me says more about you/them than me.

I couldn't care less. But doesn't the Bible also say something about not judging others lest ye be judged? Why don't you work on that.

Quoted For Truth

+1,000,000,000,006
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

And so what if your tattoo doesn't look so good anymore? It'll match the rest of you.

That's a good come-back.

Maybe so, but we'll talk 20-30 years from now.

You may not like it, but it is a fact of life, more so than many are unwilling to openly admit. If we formulate opinions of people by the clothes and hairstyle they wear, then a tattoo is even stronger because the wearer has made a life-long committment. Actions speak louder than words. And if you have the gutts to actually go through with it, then you're wearing your heart on your sleeve (no pun intended).

If I applied the same logic, then we shouldn't have opinions on anyone or anything. Having an opinion is not the same as judging someone. Formulating an opinion about someone based on what they do to their bodies is fair game. After all, isn't that what tattooing is all about? It's conveying to the world something about yourself in a manner consideredn to be a bit extreme. I'm not sentencing you to anything. You're doing it to yourself. God also loves people with tattooes. But he apparently doesn't approve of them.

Comment

Formulating an opinion about someone based on what they do to their bodies is fair game.
              That depends. Sometimes our opinions are misinformed or agenda-driven. Condemnation is not opinion.
              After all, isn't that what tattooing is all about? It's conveying to the world something about yourself in a manner considered to be a bit extreme.
              Not necessarily. In some parts of the world you're not a complete person until you have tattooing. Your ethnocentrism will inhibit your acquisition of wisdom, I assure you. My tattooing is for me, not the world. Stop assuming you know what you're talking about. You don't.
              Last edited by sinjin; May 21, 2008, 12:30 PM.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

That depends. Sometimes our opinions are misinformed or agenda-driven. Condemnation is not opinion.
                Not necessarily. In some parts of the world you're not a complete person until you have tattooing. Your ethnocentrism will inhibit your acquisition of wisdom, I assure you. My tattooing is for me, not the world. Stop assuming you know what you're talking about. You don't.
                Dude-

When did I ever condemn you? You're blowing a vein all by yourself.

Comment

I know a lot of people who have tattoos. It's not just the rebels. You'd be surprised. A lot of people who have tattoos don't put them on display. To some people tattoos are a very personal thing. Not all tattoos are born from drunkenness. I've been envisioning a tattoo for the past three or four years. Someday I might get it, and if I do, it'll be a very personal thing for me, not for anybody else. Will I regret it in thirty years? Maybe, but what a silly thing to be regretful over. Body image is so trivial in the long run, isn't it? If in thirty years the only regret I have is that I got a tattoo, I'd like to think I did pretty well for myself.
                  Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                  Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I recall some years back seeing a website with pictures from a contest in which the contestants had tattoos using their belly buttons as part of the design. I *think* the winner was a tattoo of Bart Simpson mooning, much like the monkey tattoo shown by TATTRAT. I've also seen a tattoo of a skull over the face of a young man and thought that he would probably have a hard time finding a job *g* But I also know a couple who get tattoos to commemorate special occasions and a woman in her late 60s who gleefully related going to visit a longtime friend and both of them getting the same fun and flamboyant tattoo in the same place as an outward expression of their lasting friendship and a fitting way of noting the wacky (to them) things they get into together.

Comment

I mean, if I saw a gal wearing tons of Hawaiian bracelets and smoking cigarettes, I'm thinking "tita".
                      So, is it the Hawaiian bracelets or the smoking cigarettes that make a "tita". Or, does it have to be a combo of both?

I'd sure like to be an observer at the next luau where he calls an Auntie or Tutu Wahine a "tita" because she wears Hawaiian bracelets and smokes.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I went out and got really drunk and got a stupid tattoo, and my wife really hates it too.

Basically, I had the letter B tattoo'd on both butt cheeks. So now every time I bend over, it says BoB.

Man, that joke just never gets old.......

But yes, I got a tattoo of a dolphin on my right bicep. But no deep reasoning behind it, other than I thought it looked cool....which is me, the essence of coolness

DD
                        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Dude-

When did I ever condemn you? You're blowing a vein all by yourself.
                          I'm not "blowing a vein", I simply have little patience with narrow-minded know-it-alls. You'll forgive me if I took your suggestion that getting some tattooing means one is adolescent, attention-seeking, unthinking and unmindful of the wishes of the all-powerful master of the universe as condemnation.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            So, is it the Hawaiian bracelets or the smoking cigarettes that make a "tita". Or, does it have to be a combo of both?
                            Either or. Oh, and you can include the optional gum chewing with all that popping and smacking.
                            I'd sure like to be an observer at the next luau where he calls an Auntie or Tutu Wahine a "tita" because she wears Hawaiian bracelets and smokes.
                            Aw, C'mon! I was just trying to make a point. We're all subject to impressions, whether they're true or not.
                            I'm not "blowing a vein", I simply have little patience with narrow-minded know-it-alls. You'll forgive me if I took your suggestion that getting some tattooing means one is adolescent, attention-seeking, unthinking and unmindful of the wishes of the all-powerful master of the universe as condemnation.
                            Sounds like you're just as guilty of being arrogant.

I did bring to mind some good points, though. Even though I generally disagree with getting one, certain reasons for getting one (or more) make more sense than others. But still, it's wrong for you to insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you are somehow intellectually inferior. I might know something about the nature of tattoes that you have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator
                              Sounds like you're just as guilty of being arrogant.
                              I have a good deal of tattooing. My wife was a professional tattoo artist for many years and owned her own shop. We have many friends among both her fellow artists and clients. I have spoken to hundreds of people who were getting work done. You were basically talkin' out your okole.

I did bring to mind some good points, though.
                              I never said your reasoning never applied to anyone, anywhere. The point was that, "There are more things, Horatio, in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

But still, it's wrong for you to insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you are somehow intellectually inferior.
                              You're not my intellectual inferior because you disagree with me.

I might know something about the nature of tattoes that you have no clue.
                              That's "tattoos" and BAM enlighten me.
                              Last edited by sinjin; May 22, 2008, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Aw, C'mon! I was just trying to make a point. We're all subject to impressions, whether they're true or not.
                                Yes, well I'm sure that Tutu would make a big "impression" on you - right smack in the middle of the back of your head.
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X