No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar

I do want to see it again but, unlike Helen, I'll opt for 3-D IMAX. It deserves to be seen in the most advanced technological way.

About that anti-gravity mineral. If there was such a concentration under the Mother Tree, why didn't that area become another floating mountain?

But overall, irrelevant question.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
      I do want to see it again but, unlike Helen, I'll opt for 3-D IMAX. It deserves to be seen in the most advanced technological way.

About that anti-gravity mineral. If there was such a concentration under the Mother Tree, why didn't that area become another floating mountain?

But overall, irrelevant question.
      No irrelevant questions.

I suppose that firmly rooted areas are less likely to levitate, but I don't know, FWIW.

Evidently this is something we will learn in the two planned sequels (if AVATAR is a success) - (which it already is), that JC will be sending us.

Get your 3-D glasses ready! (Unless our technology had since progressed....)

K!=========*
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The mineral sample only levatied in the black holder in Parker's office. And it only went up a few inches above the holder and not any higher.

Granted the mineral was important to the Earth people but not to the Pandoran people. Parker didn't say what the mineral was used for, only that it cost a lot to obtain.

Comment

I saw it again, this time on tv, via a bootleg DVD from Germany.

I think it is the best film of the year, perhaps even of the decade. Maybe it's best to see it without the razzle-dazzle of 3-D etc.

Comment

I saw Avatar today. WoW is pretty much the feeling watching it. Predictable in all sense but still the visuals was outstanding. Ironically though it has a slight resemblance to the animated movie, Fern Gully.

The graphics was so good it was hard to distinguish real video from graphics. So good was the graphics I kinds squirmed at the fact that my 11-year old was sitting next to me watching bare-breasted female Na'vi. It was that good.

I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. This movie rocks!!!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[Helen - "The movie has a lot of imagery and action but I felt it left out some parts, mostly as to why the sky people needed the mineral."]

They didn't 'leave out' why they needed it - it was clearly stated (for the profit - unobtainium is worth $20 million a kilo).

This show was just another cowboys & injuns rehash. Noble savage and all that jazz. I couldn't stop laughing at all the ridiculous stereotypes and bad puns. For instance, why would the bipedal mechanical bodysuit have a huge knife to pull out as a backup weapon? [Answer - because a marine's best friend is his k-bar, yuk yuk]

The storyline ran like a video game. First you learn how to use your avatar, then you go on an adventure to relieve the boredom of your ho hum existence. This movie was made for video gamers.

Every single character was nothing more than a stereotype. Where was the businessman interested in something other than profit, the military man interested in something other than fighting, the scientist interested in something other than specimen collecting, the cripple interested in something other than being healed, the noble savage interested in something other than preserving their noble lifestyle, etc.

As for FX, I've seen better 20 years ago at Disney World (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, among others). Terminator and Titanic were better pictures. I can only hope it takes this guy at least another 12 years before his next 'vision' is realized.

Aside - It's comforting to know we won't have decent health care and we'll still be carrying cash for the benefit of muggers in the distant future represented in the movie.
              Last edited by salmoned; January 3, 2010, 11:03 PM.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                They didn't 'leave out' why they needed it - it was clearly stated (for the profit - unobtainium is worth $20 million a kilo).
                Of course it cost a lot to get. Here is a society that has the capability to travel to another star system, create lifeforms that were originally from another world, and have these lifeforms be controlled by humans remotely. So the question is what is so special about unobtainium that they couldn't synthensis back home?

Part of me says that it might be a source of power, considering that ground and trees tended to light up at night. However it was kind of risky for the humans to deploy exploding weapons on the Home Tree which could have detonated the ore below the tree.

Another part of me says that the unobtainium makes for a very light and strong metal but you figure that the Na'vi would have used the mineral as well but they don't.

Comment

As the name implies, it's unobtainable to get unobtainium. Like gold we can't synthesize it.

There are some things even the most advanced civilizations cannot replicate, that's why there is this perceived notion that advanced aliens will try to colonize our own planet.

Which brings me to a subject totally off topic but related to my last statement. My theory that advanced life forms cannot exist to the point where they will be excessively advanced than us.

Look at our own species on Earth. As advanced as we got our own natural resources are being depleted by our population growth. As we advance technologically we deplete our resources. There is also the fact that as a planet, Earth goes thru geological changes that have been proven to have wiped out entire species at least once or maybe several times over.

So if we can see it happening here on Earth, chances are it has happened to other civilizations elsewhere in the Universe. Look at our own deserts that have covered ancient civilizations completely under sand for thousands of years only to be found now! If a few thousand years can obliterate from view an entire civilization from our modern technology, can you imagine a million years on let's say Mars or Venus? There could be an entire Los Angeles buried under miles and miles of sand on Mars that we cannot see.

Timelines to me seem to limit how far a civilization can advance before it's wiped out by something unavoidable like a huge meteor or an unusually strong solar flare that cooks everything in it's path. You can only advance so far before something ends it.

It's forcasted here on Earth to happen, it could have happen already to some civilization on another world that has developed technologies that we can only dream of, like an iPhone that has decent coverage!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    So the question is what is so special about unobtainium that they couldn't synthensis back home?
                    I was thinking the same thing. Well, more specifically, I was wondering what could unobtanium possibly be used for that makes it cost-effective to pay $20M/kilo for it. Another thing about the movie that bugged me was that they never explained how the mountains float.

So I came up with the theory that unobtanium has anti-gravity properties that aren't completely understood. That could explain why it's so valuable and why the mountains float.

Comment

If that was the case then why not mine it from the floating mountains where none of the Na'vi are at?

It would have been interesting to find out how long humans were on Pandora, I would hazard to guess maybe at least 10 to 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                        I was thinking the same thing. Well, more specifically, I was wondering what could unobtanium possibly be used for that makes it cost-effective to pay $20M/kilo for it. Another thing about the movie that bugged me was that they never explained how the mountains float.

So I came up with the theory that unobtanium has anti-gravity properties that aren't completely understood. That could explain why it's so valuable and why the mountains float.
                        unobtanium has a extremely strong magnetic field. the mountains had high concentrates of it so they floated above the ground.

It is a room temperature super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable: it's worth $20 Million per kilogram unrefined (worth $40 million per kilogram refined) on Earth. However, It is predominantly expensive to mine on Pandora as humans are unable to breathe in the Pandoran toxic atmosphere. Because of this, all personnel are required to wear a Exopack which is very cumbersome. Humans transport Unobtanium on trucks called Hell Trucks from the mines back to Hell's Gate for refining.

Unobtanium proved to be the most baffling of scientific discoveries in the area of superconductors as it had an extremely strong magnetic field, reversing prior knowledge that all superconductors repel magnetic fields. Furthermore, unlike the fragile crystals of human-created superconducting compounds, the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasicrystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged but also has mircoscopic voids in the quasicrytalline structure that contain the magnetic flux lines. Unobtanium has a unique magnetic field and properties of superconductivity, causing it to levitate. On Pandora, the magnetic effect causes huge outcroppings of Unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortexes. These huge islands, named Hallelujah Mountains by Earth's explorers, are called Thundering Rocks by the Na'vi, who hold them sacred. The unique magnetic properties of Unobtanium are used to contain and direct the energy of the Matter-Antimatter annihilation which propels ships like ISV Venture Star. Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora .
                        Originally, the term "unobtanium" was used to describe the material as a joke. However, over the years, the name appears to have stuck.
                        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                          unobtanium has a extremely strong magnetic field. the mountains had high concentrates of it so they floated above the ground.

It is a room temperature super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable: it's worth $20 Million per kilogram unrefined (worth $40 million per kilogram refined) on Earth. However, It is predominantly expensive to mine on Pandora as humans are unable to breathe in the Pandoran toxic atmosphere. Because of this, all personnel are required to wear a Exopack which is very cumbersome. Humans transport Unobtanium on trucks called Hell Trucks from the mines back to Hell's Gate for refining.

Unobtanium proved to be the most baffling of scientific discoveries in the area of superconductors as it had an extremely strong magnetic field, reversing prior knowledge that all superconductors repel magnetic fields. Furthermore, unlike the fragile crystals of human-created superconducting compounds, the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasicrystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged but also has mircoscopic voids in the quasicrytalline structure that contain the magnetic flux lines. Unobtanium has a unique magnetic field and properties of superconductivity, causing it to levitate. On Pandora, the magnetic effect causes huge outcroppings of Unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortexes. These huge islands, named Hallelujah Mountains by Earth's explorers, are called Thundering Rocks by the Na'vi, who hold them sacred. The unique magnetic properties of Unobtanium are used to contain and direct the energy of the Matter-Antimatter annihilation which propels ships like ISV Venture Star. Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora .
                          Originally, the term "unobtanium" was used to describe the material as a joke. However, over the years, the name appears to have stuck.
                          I guess Solar energy wasn't the answer then huh?

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                            Where are you getting this? Is there an Avatar novel? I would love to read it. I checked Amazon but couldn't find it.

Comment

From Wikipedia: "Engineers have long (since at least the 1950s[2]) used the term unobtainium when referring to unusual or costly materials, or when theoretically considering a material perfect for their needs in all respects save that it doesn't exist. By the 1990s the term was in wide use, even in formal engineering papers such as "Towards unobtainium [new composite materials for space applications]".[3] The word unobtainium may well have been coined within the aerospace industry to refer to materials capable of withstanding the extreme temperatures expected in reentry. Aerospace engineers are frequently tempted to design aircraft which require parts with strength or resilience beyond that of currently available materials."

It actually has a reality hook to it.
                              Last edited by admin; January 10, 2010, 03:55 PM. Reason: Link and provide excerpt, don't copy and paste.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                                Where are you getting this? Is there an Avatar novel? I would love to read it. I checked Amazon but couldn't find it.
                                sorry forgot to post the link

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unobtainium
                                website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                                blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                                X