How do people feel about scooters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do people feel about scooters?

My husband and I are trying to figure out how we will get around when we are in Honolulu as we are selling our cars before we arrive. He wants to take the bus to U of H and hopefully we can get a place near that bus line.
    I don't really want to lease a car unless my job is a good distance away. How do people feel about scooters? We're reading up on them and they sound interesting, but I'd like some feedback from people who own/have owned a scooter. Or maybe a moped. An easy way to get around that isn't a car
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Re: How do people feel about scooters?

I've owned mo-peds and a 150-cc scooter.

Great way to get around... Great parking...

Don't ride them any more simply because I'm deathly afraid of getting rear-ended (drivers here tailgate bikes like there's no tomorrow). And on a bike like that (or any bike, for that matter), getting rear-ended is pretty much the end...

Not worth it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
      Don't ride them any more simply because I'm deathly afraid of getting rear-ended (drivers here tailgate bikes like there's no tomorrow).
      Yeah, same thing I said about bikes being tailgated in the thread "LikaNui's New Ride" in this same section of HT.
      Scooters are easy to park and give fantastic gas mileage, but safety is a major concern.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know that it would be our primary mode of transport, but it would probably be a nice way to get to beaches and nearby hiking trails.
        Of course, it'd be scary...maybe we'll rent one for a weekend when I get out there and test it out, see if we like it.
        I know we'll know more about where we want to live and how we'll get around in a few months
        Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

I had the same concerns, FF31. I am planning on just seeing how it really is once I arrive on the Island.

I know that on Oahu, moped/scooters are readily available on Craigslist. I was going to get one right off the bat, but I think I will just wait to see first hand if it is going to be worth it, or holding off a bit. I hear the bus system is really goo out there too.

And anything under 50cc requires no M Class license or what have you, though I think you have to still register it. I have my M class, but will hold off on buying a bike till I get a good feel for the island.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

I drove on one from Waikikki beach to Hanauma Bay and back.....yes the people were kind and very considerate, but it scared the holy beegeebeez out of me!
            All that traffic and cars honking....Never again!!! NEVER!
            That was just one day!
            I had all these visions in my head of leisurely scooter rides and the ocean breezes and waves and blue sky.....
            then the bird poop hit my head and the pelting afternoon shower with a tank top on! Shoulder swith little red dots all over! and the Big car behind me urging me to go over the 35MPH sign on the road, catching the man urinating in the park we drove by! ....
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
              I drove on one from Waikikki beach to Hanauma Bay and back.....yes the people were kind and very considerate, but it scared the holy beegeebeez out of me!
              All that traffic and cars honking....Never again!!! NEVER!
              That was just one day!
              I had all these visions in my head of leisurely scooter rides and the ocean breezes and waves and blue sky.....
              then the bird poop hit my head and the pelting afternoon shower with a tank top on! Shoulder swith little red dots all over! and the Big car behind me urging me to go over the 35MPH sign on the road, catching the man urinating in the park we drove by! ....
              Wow! I keep seeing these websites for scooter adventures in Hawaii when I google for info. These people have no idea what they will be getting into
              If we do get one, at least we'll know what to expect. Like I said, I think we'll rent first to see if that is something we might want to do more than once in our lives.

Comment

I ride one everyday for work. My ride is not real long and there's about a 1/8 mile hilly stretch across a bridge where I have to ride on the road. Every so often I get a dumb a-s riding my tail. Drivers, here, are impatient SOBs and will make sure you know about it. Luckily for me, most of the route has a bike lane and the going speed limit is 25mph all the way....I have never seen anyone drive the speed limit. Btw, I'm out in the country so riding conditions are a little different than in town.

If you do go the route of scooters, know that they're easy pickings for thieves. The perps simply carry them away, nevermind that $100 Krypto lock or whatever you invested in. Also, use a helmet. Not the cheap ones. As the salesman so eloquently put it, "If you think your head is worth only $50......" Btw, you will not be alone. There are hundreds if not thousands of scooter riders in Honolulu and outlying burbs.

Get this, if there's road construction and a flagman ahead, pull into traffic and wait your turn. Do not cheat up to the front even if there's a bike lane. The special duty cop will stop you and give you a warning. Mopeds and scoots fall in vast gray area in regards to motorized vehicle/traffic laws and get very little respect. Every officer has his/her own interpretation of any laws regarding scoots and mopeds. In fact, although I can get away with riding in a bike lane out here, a cop might pull you over for doing the same in town.

Another tip. There are 50cc scooters out there that can top 45 mph on the flats. Do some studying of scooter message boards and such to find out what brands can do this without aftermarket modifications or parts. That extra pickup and top end speed will make things much easier. My piece of junk goes 40+.............downhill, 30+ on the flats and 25 or less up hill. Pretty miserable performance, but good enough for my purposes since I can just cruise outside of the faster moving traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by foxyfox31 View Post
                  Wow! I keep seeing these websites for scooter adventures in Hawaii when I google for info. These people have no idea what they will be getting into
                  If we do get one, at least we'll know what to expect. Like I said, I think we'll rent first to see if that is something we might want to do more than once in our lives.
                  Mine was along drive though too! Not a short one like Rolling here! My scooter did about 45 max but that was pushing it!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                    Mine was along drive though too! Not a short one like Rolling here! My scooter did about 45 max but that was pushing it!
                    Downhill run with a good tail wind?
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

LOL!!!! yes! and you should have seen the SPEED of 20 going up the hill to the BAY to snorkel! I was flying!

Comment

You should definitely rent first to gauge your comfort level. Had a 50cc moped back in my UH days. My commute got less hairy after I put some go-fast parts and a bit of sweat into the little Honda. It was good for 70 mph (for passing, of course) and I even used it to spare my car the daily Mililani-to-town grind. And yes, I was mindful to keep quiet in residential areas.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          In fact, although I can get away with riding in a bike lane out here, a cop might pull you over for doing the same in town.
                          The rules may be different for different bike lanes.

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          Another tip. There are 50cc scooters out there that can top 45 mph on the flats.
                          I think legally they can't be licensed as mopeds if they can go that fast. Enforcement is a different issue.

I will stay that many years ago there was a guy in my building who had a motorcycle. Then one day he didn't. When I asked him about it, he said it was too dangerous. Too many times getting cut off and stuff. Not anyone out to get him, just too many people looking only for cars and missing his bike.

Comment

I would never ride a scooter/moped back home in Md...the drivers are scary enough when I'm in a car. I'll have to see how Hawaii drivers compare.

What do you guys think? How do hawaii drivers compare with those from other states? I've driven in Miami, New York, D.C., Los Angeles, Md, parts of Virginia, and the big island in HI...I think New York and Miami were the worst. The light isn't even green yet and Miami drivers are honking at you to go
                            The most courteous I saw were in St. Maarten. Everyone honks and waves at everyone they know.

Comment

Re: Price lease midsize sedan type car?

Anyone know the typical price/month to lease a mid-size car (nothing fancy) in Honolulu? We are considering this an option in addition to/instead of a scooter, the bus, or our own two feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X