Hawaii boating photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: boating photos

There are two great photos of the new 100' racing sailboat "Speedboat" getting ready to get wet. The first photo is here and it's great, but now look at the second photo.
    Can you spell Wide Load, boys and girls?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Hawaii boating photos

LikaNui, I thought my reaction to the storm photos likely contributed to your moving your boating pics over here. That wasn't my intention and I hope you won't stop posting your boating photos in the Photo Sharing Thread.

You mentioned that you wondered if posters wouldn't tire of seeing the boat photos. I don't think that's the case. Since I started posting pics, I notice I seem to post more than others and I've wondered if I haven't overdone it, too. I find communication on the net to be a little complex without being able to see others directly. The emoticons help. They say the nail that stands up gets hammered down. I have a fairly limited interest in being hammered down, but I enjoy putting the photos up so I guess I'll keep posting till I feel that first thump on the head.

I don't have many boating photos, but I have a few from catamaran trips. Here's one coming up the west coast of Kauai toward the Napali Coast. I don't know where the kayakers came from, but it must've been the Northshore as it would've been a really long paddle from the South.

Comment

On that same trip, we came upon a pod of dolphins. The boat captain said he thought there might have been more than a hundred. Many came right up to the boat. The formations of the Napali Coast were amazing. These whale/dolphin watch/snorkel trips are a blast. It's money well spent and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
          LikaNui, I thought my reaction to the storm photos likely contributed to your moving your boating pics over here. That wasn't my intention and I hope you won't stop posting your boating photos in the Photo Sharing Thread.
          Thanks for your thoughts, Jim, but I simply decided -- as I wrote in post #1 here -- that the Photo Sharing Thread was for photography as a hobby, and the boating photos are about a sport and have a limited audience. Ergo, anyone clicking on this thread will know exactly what they're getting, while the other thread is always a mixed bag full of fun surprises.
          And as usual, I love the photos you posted here (and there, too!)

Comment

Hey, I was out on the bay that same Sunday! ...and a few pictures were taken of me, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poinographer/2421736981/

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
              Hey, I was out on the bay that same Sunday! ...and a few pictures were taken of me, too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/poinographer/2421736981/
              I saw you, Doug! I just didn't know that you were you.
              I'd hauled ash up to "A" mark and was waiting for our fleet to round the mark, and saw your 14's get there first. Was it yours that broached, or the other one? I hope it was the other one, cuz I mentioned to the other folks on my boat that whichever 14 rounded first must be happy, looking at the other one lying mast-down on the water. They did a good job of righting it, but sure lost valuable time.
              I told our R/C Sail that we should be coordinating with you guys on the race schedules, to avoid those kind of traffic jams. It was like the H-1 at rush hour out there!
              I was blasting around at 22 knots taking photos after our start, but tried to make sure my wake didn't affect any of your racers (or ours). Next time, call me and I'll swoop up behind you so you can surf my wake. And I'll get some pix of you too.
              Those 14's are hot.

EDIT: Hey Doug, I'm in one of your photos -- the one at this link!!! There are two sailboats way in the background, and just to the right of them, see the powerboat with two antennas? Dat's me.
              Last edited by LikaNui; April 18, 2008, 08:22 PM. Reason: Because I saw myself in Doug's photo. That means we'll have six more weeks of winter.

Comment

Ya gotta love HawaiiThreads, folks. I mean, 7,826 members (!!!) and two of us were on our boats within yards of each other in the middle of Kaneohe Bay... and never knew it.
                Maybe the next HT Get-Together should be at the sandbar.

Comment

Neat!

It was the other boat that capsized. In fact, that capsize gave us first place for that race! ...often the case in the I-14, haha.

By the way, next weekend would be another good occasion to take your boat out for photos. Saturday thru Tuesday is the Pacific Rim Championship for I-14s. We'll have about 20 boats with sailors from all over: Japan, Australia, Canada, Hawaii, Washington, California, and even one or two from the East Coast!

Unfortunately, I can't get Monday and Tuesday off, but the first two days should be fun enough!

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                    It was the other boat that capsized. In fact, that capsize gave us first place for that race!
                    No surprise there.
                    Glad it wasn't your boat that broached.

By the way, next weekend would be another good occasion to take your boat out for photos. Saturday thru Tuesday is the Pacific Rim Championship for I-14s. We'll have about 20 boats with sailors from all over: (...) Unfortunately, I can't get Monday and Tuesday off, but the first two days should be fun enough!
                    We have a race scheduled for Saturday the 26th too, so I'll definitely be out there. I'll try to get shots of you if I can. Will you still be sail #1115?

Comment

Yup, I am USA 1115. Thanks!

Gotta warn you, though, I probably won't be near the front. The visiting competitors that are coming are usually excellent sailors!

Comment

Well, I never did see Doug on Saturday. There was so much VOG that I could barely see the front of my own boat. (Just kidding, but not by much.) Not much wind either, only about 6 to 8 knots.
                        Doug, those 25 International-14s sure looked great, even though I kept our race far away from yours so we wouldn't interfere. I hope you're doing well in it!
                        Meanwhile, I got some decent shots even with the vog and light wind. I like this series of three, especially the last one:

And my favorite:

More to follow...

Comment

Here's three more:

Rounding the weather mark ("J" buoy), and look at the vog!:

A few more coming...

Comment

Two racers approaching "J" buoy...

And mere seconds later...

One more rounding "J" buoy, and that's Kaneohe Yacht Club in the vog in the background:

Some "people shots" coming up...

Comment

More "people shots" coming...

Comment

Following our fleet and yes, that's Kualoa Point and Chinaman's Hat in the voggy background:

And here, from a loooooong way away, were Doug's International 14s:

Just a few more from our own race...

Comment

Working...
                                X