Farewell Junior Seau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell Junior Seau

Junior Seau died this morning at his home in Oceanside, CA. He was born in American Samoa and was beloved in the San Diego community. Although I never met him, I know people who knew him well and always spoke highly of him. He was a fierce competitor but had a soft side too. He will be missed.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Farewell Junior Seau

Suicide? Reports are there was a gun at his side.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Seau was definitely a football star, also a successful businessman but most of all remembered for his kindness and good works in the community. Every time you turned around he was involved in raising funds for some worthy cause, like assuring a happy Christmas for underprivileged kids. He was highly loved and respected in the Samoan community and in his hometown of Oceanside and in San Diego as a whole. San Diego is very saddened by his loss, mystified, looking for answers why he would have done such a thing. Some suspect head injuries might have contributed, but he had no history of concussion injuries. Some suspect a divorce might have contributed. He was arrested a couple of years ago on a domestic violence charge against his former wife and within hours had driven off a cliff, which he explained as having fallen asleep at the wheel. Not likely. Maybe just tormented by internal demons only he knew. Why ever it happened, it is extremely sad. Suicide is one of the most selfish acts there is. I knew a woman who committed suicide for her own (to her) good reasons but it devastated her husband and her kids. In Junior Seau's case is is much the same, his kids are in their teens, they must be hurting worse than we could ever imagine, and they will for a long time. In terms of local coverage, all local TV and most radio had nonstop coverage for several hours yesterday, from first report about 9:30 am into the afternoon.

Comment

Thinking about it, a thing that the woman I knew who committed suicide and Junior Seau had in common was at least outwardly a very positive attitude on life. Seau genuinely enjoyed playing football, he didn't do it out of aggressive cruelty or greed, he loved playing the game. People who knew him said he always had a smile on his face and was always positive and upbeat. The same for the woman I knew. Nothing seemed phony about her positive attitude, she seemed absolutely genuine that she loved life and would always react positively or at least calmly regardless of the situation. Long after her passing I learned that as a girl she suffered the ultimate abuse from her father, for years, that could have set the stage for her tragic passing. But outwardly as an adult she was as positive a person as you would ever meet. I wonder if Seau might have had some experience in his past that scarred him permanently, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          Some suspect head injuries might have contributed, but he had no history of concussion injuries.
          Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          I wonder if Seau might have had some experience in his past that scarred him permanently, too.
          There might be something to his experience as a football player having contributed to his death by suicide.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/us-n...brain-injuries

"We don't know what has gone on with Junior Seau, but he could fit the pattern of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, especially with it ending in suicide," Julian Bailes, a Chicago neurosurgeon, told the Guardian.

Bailes has studied the brains of more than 30 former football players as well as wrestlers, boxers and some returning military veterans who sustained repeated mild head injuries.

Bailes added: "These athletes end up having, after they retire, a latency period after which they have problems with failed relationships, marriages, business failures, depression, often drug and alcohol abuse. There can be some form of dementia but they usually end in suicide. And most of it has only been expressed after they've stopped playing their sport."
          I saw the news clip of his overwrought mother. Truly sad, it was evident she loved him dearly.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I have never been much of a boxing fan but Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay was not only one of the greatest boxers of all time, but a wit, a showman, and for refusing to go to Vietnam because it was against his religion he was to me during those cruel and pointless years a hero. But for many years he has suffered from just such brain injuries. He is the picture of tragic. I love football, it has everything you could want in a sport, but something MUST be done about the brain injuries. Starting in high school or even earlier if possible people must be educated on the importance and methods of protecting their own and others' brains. Retired NFL players are organizing to sue the NFL for withholding information on the danger of brain injuries, it could amount to a huge lawsuit by the time all the damages are counted. I don't think flag football or touch games would attract audiences, interest, or advertisers but there has to be some solution to protecting the brain. It seems like eventually the expense from the tobacco industry will put that business out of business, its hard to see how football as we know it can continue to exist with lawsuits not just against the NFL, why not colleges and high schools, too, and that would pretty much end it. Junior's brain remains available for autopsy.

Comment

didn't he try to drive off a cliff last year?

As for a gun being by his side, I am unsure what that has to do with anything. He shoots himself, goes down, drops gun. Where else would the gun be, besides maybe in his hand?
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                didn't he try to drive off a cliff last year?
                He said he fell asleep at the wheel. There was no one with him at the time, so I guess you have to take him at his word. ?Hei ilo?

Tattrati, I've got The Secret mojo working for you from my end!
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

http://wgntv.com/2015/08/10/junior-s...ocked-by-hall/

Junior Seau was a dad who happened to be a Hall of Fame football player.

Comment

Working...
                  X