Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mass-murder on Texas Army Base

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    he was also american-born. but people who believe all muslims are evil radicals will lump him in with the taliban/al qaeda, anti-western civilization type.

see? and it was only one post after yours, mr. watanabe.

i wonder what people would say if the shooter were born-again christian and screamed, "praise the lord jesus christ" as he killed innocents. bet that would get a totally different treatment.
    That was my point. That those who believe all Muslims are evil will use this episode as a means to expound on their point.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's interesting to read the gun forums, to see their reactions over the fact the gunman used a .22 semi-auto.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        oh dear. gramps is at it again--his favorite game of parsing sentences while turning a cataractous eye and otitic ear to the larger text. tsk, tsk.
        Well, that's a new one on me. A red-herring with medical terminology.

A lot of attention has naturally been focused on the gunman. But first and foremost in our thoughts should be on the victims and their families. While no official list of victims have been released yet, the names of some of the dead and injured have begun to trickle out through the press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_348250.html
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Maybe that just shows how naive I am.
          Tutu, you aren't naive, you just want to believe the best in people. Nuttin' wrong with that.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            It's interesting to read the gun forums, to see their reactions over the fact the gunman used a .22 semi-auto.
            What surprised me was that he was able to squeeze off a hundred rounds with two pistols and kill that many people. That means he had to stop and reload several times before being taken down. He had a lot of time to do a lot of damage, FIVE minutes of shooting with no return fire or attempt to disarm him.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

And I'll say it again...

Let everyone that wants to carry a sidearm and this BS will become something of our stupid past. Sad commentary of our times, but I'd rather turn on the news and hear of yet another potential mass murderer heading off to the morgue without having had any success. At a minimum, the kill total will be significantly lessened, and at best, the majority of kooks whom are a gutless bunch will be too chicken to even try it. Same with your average crook, if they know they might very well end up with a toe tag...
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: And I'll say it again...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Let everyone that wants to carry a sidearm and this BS will become something of our stupid past. ...
                I can appreciate your frustration, but how do you arrive at that conclusion? That approach hasn't worked in other locations where it has been tried.

The man is obviously deranged. Logic doesn't work with people who are mentally ill.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia
                  as he has done many times before, gramps dodderingly ambles onto his soapbox to make saintly pronouncements now that his faulty reasoning has been pointed out!

guess an old dog does just keep doing the same tricks.
                  Oh well. Keeping this thread on topic, even at the risk of being mocked yet again:

There were many soldiers and civilians who came to the aid of those fallen soldiers. But Fort Hood Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley stands out among all these real-life heroes. She put her life on the line in order to put an end to the ruthless killing spree. ABC News reports that while it still is not clear as to who fired the very bullet that put down the gunman, Officer Munley was drawing fire and saved who knows how many other people from getting shot.

And as the New York Daily News reports, this is not the first time that Munley has engaged in a life-saving act of heroism.

Here's hoping for a full recovery for Kimberly Munley. And a hearty WTG for all of the other individuals who acted heroically. I hope their names emerge as they all deserve tribute and recognition.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: And I'll say it again...

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    I can appreciate your frustration, but how do you arrive at that conclusion? That approach hasn't worked in other locations where it has been tried.
                    Yes - we could try it the Somali way! Guns for everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      A lot of attention has naturally been focused on the gunman. But first and foremost in our thoughts should be on the victims and their families.
                      Jesus bar Joseph, from Nazareth, counseled people to "Let the dead bury the dead."

If we listen to this advice, where should our attention be focused? Not on the victims, we can do nothing for them. Their families will be tended to by their own support groups; they don't need our impotent "thoughts," which do nothing but absolve our own consciences.

First and foremost, our thoughts should be upon providing a way for our society to reach out to those disenfranchised who commit such acts. We need to reduce such incidents and prevent such travesty. How? Monitor the treatment of people who may be targeted for discrimination or other abuse. Have people available to intervene when some person's behaviour falls outside their normal limits - counselors who can help them find inner peace.

Most often these mass-killings have been committed by people who have been picked on, ridiculed, bullied or asking for help and were being ignored. It is our duty as a society to not marginalize such people, but to provide the attention and assistance they need to get back on track.

Abnormal or anti-social behaviour is often a cry for help from someone at the end of their rope. If we don't help them before they drop off, then we have no one but ourselves to blame - we didn't pay enough attention, and we didn't care enough.

In this case, according to reports, all the signs were there that this guy needed help. There is no excuse for his being ignored. Timely counseling would have saved lives and stopped a lot of pain.

Paying lip-service to the victims is too little, too late (but it is 'politically correct').

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Let everyone that wants to carry a sidearm and this BS will become something of our stupid past.
                      It's unlikely that all illegal violence would be stopped, but those states (like Florida) where firearm permits MUST be issued upon request to law-abiding citizens have seen a dramatic drop in violent crime.

Unlikely to happen here, though - Mufi is a member of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" which has a platform against ALL guns, legal or illegal.

Originally posted by matapule View Post

The man is obviously deranged. Logic doesn't work with people who are mentally ill.
                      He arrived at that conclusion by reading the statistics.

You can google hundreds of news articles like this one which show that when more citizens carry firearms there is less violent crime.

Google "shall issue gun laws" and see for yourself. It DOES work. You should do your homework before you start calling people names.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

What a surprise...

Originally posted by Kaonohi
                        Mufi is a member of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" which has a platform against ALL guns, legal or illegal.
                        ...I'm not impressed. The guy is a sham and a shame.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

CNN has posted the names of the 13 victims and some of their photos. (If anyone wants to turn a blind eye to these victims, then nobody is forcing them to click on that link).

The victims vary in age and background. For each and every one of them, their death is a tragedy for their family and friends. But one of them stands out. Pvt. Francheska Velez had served in Iraq, became pregnant and was sent back home. She was 3 months into her pregnancy when this terrible act occurred.

It's stuff like this that keeps my thoughts and sympathies in the proper place.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 8, 2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

the graybeard prattles on.

to borrow from shakespeare, your hoary attempts at moral superiority passeth not show. where, pray tell, was your devout concern for the victims & family here and here? do we need inquire why it manifested itself only after this?

no, of course not. it is a common (see definitions 6, 7, and 8 here) strategy of those whose assertions have been demonstrated to be addled to retreat to spectacles of patriotism and piety in order to salvage a satisfactory semblance of solemnity.

as someone whose father was tortured & whose two uncles were murdered by a political despot, and who lost a nephew during climatic calamity, i find your fervent and false sentiments worthy of a plastic, glow-in-the-dark halo. fie, frankie's market, on your unblushing use of pvt. velez and her fallen comrades as tools for your vanity. no one's buying what you're selling: bullshit shamelessly sprayed on the bodies of your betters.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

If you feel so strongly about a topic that you cannot resist repeated and increasingly vicious personal attacks on other members, I'd encourage you to take a break and focus your attentions elsewhere.

This thread is going nowhere fast, but in the faint hope that updates and reasonable discussion can continue, I'll leave it open for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                CNN has posted the names of the 13 victims and some of their photos. (If anyone wants to turn a blind eye to these victims, then nobody is forcing them to click on that link).

It's stuff like this that keeps my thoughts and sympathies in the proper place.
                                Sorry, FM:
                                That's just a guilt trip.
                                If there is any 'proper place' for our thoughts and sympathies it is in prevention, not hand-wringing.

If the Army had done its job, those 13 would still be alive.
                                If his superiors had paid attention to the major, those 13 would still be alive.
                                If the 'chain of command' was working properly, those 13 would still be alive.

It's people who focus on the things that can't be changed that continue to make this kind of tragedy possible. We can't bring back the 13 dead, but we can recognize what we neglected to do and try to prevent it from happening again.

All your 'holier than thou' mourning and moaning will not bring back one single life. So, get off it; we're on to your emotional manipulation to save your ego.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X