Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remember When

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    No child of mine will EVER think that she is the princess of the house. Sorry, kid!
    Bwaaaaahaaaahaaa! Haaahaaaa haa. I'm having trouble catching my breath. Tears are rolling down my cheeks! Bwahaaahaaa!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Bwaaaaahaaaahaaa! Haaahaaaa haa. I'm having trouble catching my breath. Tears are rolling down my cheeks! Bwahaaahaaa!
      Are you laughing at my short-sightedness? Because, I gotta tell you, there is only room in my house for ONE queen-bee, princess, or whatever you want to call it. And I have worked DAMN HARD to earn that title, thank you very much. My parents never told me I was a princess. If I complained about something that was not to my liking, they told me that when I grew up and had kids of my own, I could make the rules. And so I will. I already am preparing for that day. Back in my day, kids were not the #1 priority of the house in that their TV shows trumped what adults wanted to watch. That big mess you just made? Mommy's not gonna clean it up for you. And no making 2 dinners. I am appalled at the lengths some parents go to to appease their kids. My parents were pretty much, "Like it or lump it."

We can talk about all the fun things girls can be. But I"m sorry- a princess is only for Halloween. Not a career. As my mom used to tell me, if something ever happens to your husband, you better make sure you're able to support yourself and your kids. A lesson I will pass down. And any baby-wear with "I run this house" on it will be promptly donated to charity. Everyone has their weird quirks and this is mine.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Ahh but you assume too soon...maybe it'll be a boy! And what if HE wants to be the princess of the house!! You never know...... **wisps away in the shadows of the dark**
        He can take ballet or whatever he wants. But I'm still the Mommy.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          Are you laughing at my short-sightedness?.
          Sorry SG, (I've regained my composure) I wish you luck. I was like you once. That all changes once the stork arrives at your house. Have I got stories to tell you about rearing children! Don't get me wrong. Today, I have two wonderful, beautiful daughters, about your age, that treat me like the matapule of the household. They are my best friends and sometimes I go on vacation with them tokotaha (alone), just Dad and his "little girl." But guiding them to adulthood? Sometimes I didn't think I was going to survive!

"Laupisi" is a Tongan word that is difficult to translate into English. It describes a pre-adult Tongan girl who THINKS she is princess of the fale, without any encouragement from their parents. Both my daughters were VERY laupisi when they were young, but not anymore. Today, they have values like you, SG.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Sorry SG, (I've regained my composure) I wish you luck. I was like you once. That all changes once the stork arrives at your house. Have I got stories to tell you about rearing children!
            I know. And I know it's easy to SAY, "I won't do this or that" when you don't have kids. I expect that. Maybe I should rephrase- I sincerely hope my children won't be unduated with Princess paraphilinia.

Both my daughters were VERY laupisi when they were young, but not anymore. Today, they have values like you, SG.
            Thank you, Matapule. That is a very sweet compliment and one I will hold close.

Comment

Anyhting you would like to share?
              I'm a 69'er (as in born in 1969).

I remember the disco and the movie Saturday Night Fever but didn't see it when it was out. Bee Gees wasn't my favorite. It was KC and the Sunshine Band. I only know John Travolta as Barbarino on Welcome Back, Kotter.

I remember Shaun Cassidy was one-half of the Hardy Boys show (hint: based on a series of mystery books). First time I heard "Doo Ron Ron" (later found out it was a remake of an original oldies).

I remember when soda cost about a quarter, and smaller 8-oz cans about 15 cents.

I remember when we had Dairy Queen on Molokai, and Kamoi Movie Theater (knew the people who knew my dad and they let me sneak in to watch R-rated movies for free). Funny, back then I thought Star Wars was a horror show because the poster of Darth Vader freaked me out. I remember when the pool hall turned into a video arcade just across a supermarket known as Friendly Market Center. Spent many after-school times playing Space Invader, Pole Position, foosball, and a game called Crazy Climber.

I remember when we had a Chinese food restaurant called Hop Inn, which was right next door to the arcade.

I remember when life was simpler when growing up because I had my parents. They're gone now, and I'm left with the house I grew up in. Now you know why my location reads "Returned to Molokai."

It feels weird now. Dairy Queen is now turned into Drive Inn, Kamoi Theater is gone and in its place a new post office building, and the arcade and Hop Inn no longer there (but we do have a Subway sandwich shop ... freakin' surprised me).

The building where Mid Nite Inn remains empty (but for few vermins), but now Paddler's Inn is the place to be for dining and drinking.

And yet for all the new and changing things that are happening on Molokai, there is something familiar about it. Can't explain it but after having been away for 20 years I thought I lost something. But being back, I found it somehow.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I remember a time when I could remember things! Now remembering things is getting harder to remember.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  I'm a 69'er (as in born in 1969)............I remember when we had Dairy Queen on Molokai,
                  Dayamn, Random, I spent three months at Ho'olehua, from July 67 to October, 67. I ordered saimin soup at that very Dairy Queen! It's not there anymore? Shoots! Steve Castle (Castle and Cook) had a house near H and we spent the night there! MATAPULE REMEMBER WHEN!

and Kamoi Movie Theater (knew the people who knew my dad and they let me sneak in to watch R-rated movies for free).
                  Outdoors under the stars and sit on benches, right? I saw 2 or 3 movies there, like Elvis in Blue Hawai'i. Some of our Tongan language instructors were extras in the movie. We watched movie with Tongans and got very rowdy when they were on screen. Management told us to shut up or get out. MATAPULE REMEMBER WHEN!

They're gone now,
                  You have ohana here, now, Random.

It feels weird now. Dairy Queen is now turned into Drive Inn, Kamoi Theater is gone and in its place a new post office building, and the arcade and Hop Inn no longer there (but we do have a Subway sandwich shop ... freakin' surprised me).
                  That's freakin sacrilege! Where's matapule's war club? MATAPULE REMEMBER WHEN!

Can't explain it but after having been away for 20 years I thought I lost something. But being back, I found it somehow.
                  Got room for two more, matapule and uaifi?
                  Last edited by matapule; December 10, 2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    I remember a time when I could remember things! Now remembering things is getting harder to remember.
                    Margarita helps quite a bit! Matapule know foa real!

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/telethon-jerry...163756945.html

The Jerry Lewis telethon at Labor Day means the start of the school year.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        http://news.yahoo.com/telethon-jerry...163756945.html

The Jerry Lewis telethon at Labor Day means the start of the school year.
                        And now, that is gone http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7193114.html

It is hard to believe this thread was started over 5 years ago. So much has changed since then.

Comment

Working...
                        X